Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #436
heatherlynn
Connoisseur
heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i thought it was just dust as well when i first saw it so i just began furiously trying to wipe it off. of course it didn't come off. the replacement should be here on saturday though so i'm hoping it's one i can settle on. i definitely do not want to play the paperwhite exchange game with amazon :/
heatherlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #437
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do it without water. I only use water if dry is not working well enough.
Papaerwhite has a different finish so a damp cloth really helps get the film of oil off from your fingers. You don't want a cloudy screen.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #438
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherlynn View Post
i thought it was just dust as well when i first saw it so i just began furiously trying to wipe it off. of course it didn't come off. the replacement should be here on saturday though so i'm hoping it's one i can settle on. i definitely do not want to play the paperwhite exchange game with amazon :/
I'll keep my fingers crossed you get a good one. They are out there.
It is dust but it's under the plastic or glass layer so you can't wipe it off.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #439
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Papaerwhite has a different finish so a damp cloth really helps get the film of oil off from your fingers. You don't want a cloudy screen.
That's one thing I didn't check was the screen surface. I'll do so next time I am at a Best Buy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #440
drewh
Connoisseur
drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Got the replacement Kindle today (batch 503) and, its pretty poor. The screen is very yellow, alot different to the 'white' screen of my other shadows at bottom Kindle or the one with the grey line at the top (both of which were 'white' on max brightness). Also, the 503 replacement has clear marks of cleaning product run across the screen and on the black bezel. So, I'm 100% certain it was a refurb. It also had the shadows between LEDs like my original PPW had. I think like others said, I'm going to return completely and order a new one - hopefully they've fixed the grey line screen alignment prob.

See pics here - replacement on left and misaligned screen it replaced on right:

drewh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:40 AM   #441
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@drewh. Why did you exchange the Paperwhite a the right? It looks pretty good to me. And you are always going to have shadows between the LEDs. I hope you will get a Paperwhite that you like though.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #442
drewh
Connoisseur
drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drewh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
@drewh. Why did you exchange the Paperwhite a the right? It looks pretty good to me. And you are always going to have shadows between the LEDs. I hope you will get a Paperwhite that you like though.
It was great apart from the misaligned screen - the gap at the top is much more noticeable than shows on the pic. I tried to get used to it but just couldn't - personally I don't think a product like that should ship or pass QC. The shadows don't bother me at all, I know they're mostly there (though on the right one, they're pretty much gone - thats a batch 604).
drewh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #443
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Ha. Sparklemotion started this thread in October. We're almost March and there seems to be no improvement I just (again) talked myself out of buying another ereader. My K3 got a new skin, modified collections thanks to Calibre, scrubbed cover and that's that.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #444
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewh View Post
It was great apart from the misaligned screen - the gap at the top is much more noticeable than shows on the pic. I tried to get used to it but just couldn't - personally I don't think a product like that should ship or pass QC. The shadows don't bother me at all, I know they're mostly there (though on the right one, they're pretty much gone - thats a batch 604).
I'm sorry you're not happy with the new one. I can't believe the one with the misaligned screen. I guess they don't check them because that one couldn't possibly pass QC. There's been mention of others with the same problem on the Amazon forums and on kindleboards too.

I personally don't mind the yellowish screen on the new one, but I can certainly understand if you're not happy with it and it is obviously a refurb. Hopefully you'll be able to get one you're happy with. Good luck.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #445
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I'm sorry you're not happy with the new one. I can't believe the one with the misaligned screen. I guess they don't check them because that one couldn't possibly pass QC.
They'll check a random selection from each batch. That's the way QC is normally done. It will pick up systematic errors affecting every device, but not random errors, which is probably what this screen misalignment was.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #446
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They'll check a random selection from each batch. That's the way QC is normally done. It will pick up systematic errors affecting every device, but not random errors, which is probably what this screen misalignment was.
I see. Thanks Harry.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #447
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
I got the new one. First, it looks like one that someone already had (503) because there are dried water marks all over the screen --like someone wiped the screen down with a wet cloth before sending it back. Second, it looks exactly like my first PW. Reading Rainbow.

I'll keep mine, and I'm not upset at all because either my eyes have adjusted or the hues have faded because I'm once again not seeing them unless I'm looking for them.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #448
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
I'll keep mine, and I'm not upset at all because either my eyes have adjusted or the hues have faded because I'm once again not seeing them unless I'm looking for them.
If they keep fading. It could be a temp issue. My K4B looks green when it's cold. This is one of the reason I got the PW. During the summer the K4B looked great but we're having a very cold winter here and I got tired of trying to warm the dang thang up each time I want to read. The PW warms up much faster and looks good alot sooner.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #449
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
If they keep fading. It could be a temp issue. My K4B looks green when it's cold. This is one of the reason I got the PW. During the summer the K4B looked great but we're having a very cold winter here and I got tired of trying to warm the dang thang up each time I want to read. The PW warms up much faster and looks good alot sooner.
Ah. That's a good point. I'll have to see if I notice a pattern.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #450
heatherlynn
Connoisseur
heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heatherlynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

my replacement came today and i'm just going to keep it. it's far from perfect (as every paperwhite seems to be) but i think i can live with it. it's a little more colorful than my first one but at least it doesn't have any white pixels. the top half of the screen seems darker to me than the bottom half as well but i'm not going to gamble again and possibly get a worse unit. it does have a black dot at the top of the screen that won't wipe away but i can try to get used to it.

the best part was it was not a refurb

Last edited by heatherlynn; 02-22-2013 at 07:54 PM.
heatherlynn is offline   Reply With Quote