Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #166
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@RbnJrg,
A follow-up question... Are .svgs valid in any format other than epub?

I tried to create an AZW3 and KEPUB by calibre-converting your SVG sample epub. Both have empty spaces where some of the SVG images and/or SVG text should be. Both are 'wrong' in different ways. It's hard to know whether the root of the problem is with the AZW3/KEPUB formats, the conversion process or the calibre Viewer or even a combination of all three
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #167
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I've tried it. I think I'd like it better if the word 'SVG' was visible somewhere in there. Because SVGs are so different from jpg/gif/png, there may be some value in making it obvious, at-a-glance, which images are SVG and which aren't.

Can you do that?
Do you mean that instead of the word (and the logo) ePub is the word SVG? Or to add the SVG word to that ePub logo? I can do both of those things but I want to be sure about the option you prefer.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #168
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Do you mean that instead of the word (and the logo) ePub is the word SVG? Or to add the SVG word to that ePub logo? I can do both of those things but I want to be sure about the option you prefer.
Added, I think.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #169
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
@RbnJrg,

I tried to create an AZW3 and KEPUB by calibre-converting your SVG sample epub. Both have empty spaces where some of the SVG images and/or SVG text should be. Both are 'wrong' in different ways. It's hard to know whether the root of the problem is with the AZW3/KEPUB formats, the conversion process or the calibre Viewer or even a combination of all three
Some info on kePub support can be found here --> https://github.com/kobolabs/epub-spec
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #170
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@RbnJrg,

Both formats support svg images. However, I found some issues with SVG in other format than "plain svg" (for example, I had problems with "optimized svg" in azw3). I don't know why; maybe a bug in the way Amazon handles svg.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:14 PM   #171
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Added, I think.
Ok, try this svg and tell me what you think about it:

https://rbnjrg.bitrix24.com/~sxDoq
Old 11-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #172
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ok, try this svg and tell me what you think about it:

https://rbnjrg.bitrix24.com/~sxDoq
Well, I see the red SVG caption, but it doesn't appear to maintain it's shape/size as well as your previous version. I really appreciate your efforts but I'm not sure it's worth you spending all your time on this. I think my 'SVG image'-in-a-box is neither pretty nor clever, but it does enough to show an SVG image has been replaced with a dummy. I'm open to improvements but I feel bad if it's taking unreasonable effort to put a proverbial cherry on the top.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #173
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Some info on kePub support can be found here --> https://github.com/kobolabs/epub-spec
The info there was a little vague. I tried RbnJrg's SVG sample on my Kobo as a standard epub and as a .kepub.epub (simple rename). It didn't altogether surprise me that the epub looked really good and the kepub was, to be frank, a bit iffy in parts. Some of the SVG images didn't display at all and others were fuzzy, which I thought was precisely what wasn't supposed to happen with SVG.

Re: the epub to kepub calibre conversion, some svg data is getting lost in the process. However, as this project isn't concerned with conversions it's not really relevant to the job in hand.

I also wonder whether any real-life retail kepubs and azw3s actually contain proper SVG images.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #174
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
Well, I see the red SVG caption, but it doesn't appear to maintain it's shape/size as well as your previous version. I really appreciate your efforts but I'm not sure it's worth you spending all your time on this. I think my 'SVG image'-in-a-box is neither pretty nor clever, but it does enough to show an SVG image has been replaced with a dummy. I'm open to improvements but I feel bad if it's taking unreasonable effort to put a proverbial cherry on the top.
No problem Jackie. Try this svg, I think it solve the problem you detected:

https://rbnjrg.bitrix24.com/~Tso8o

EDIT: Also, do an aditional experiment: open the above dummy.svg file with a text editor and replace height="100%" with height="151" and width="100%" with width="448" and save the changes. Use this dummy.svg and compare results.

Last edited by RbnJrg; 11-20-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:01 PM   #175
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No problem Jackie. Try this svg, I think it solve the problem you detected:

https://rbnjrg.bitrix24.com/~Tso8o

EDIT: Also, do an aditional experiment: open the above dummy.svg file with a text editor and replace height="100%" with height="151" and width="100%" with width="448" and save the changes. Use this dummy.svg and compare results.
This one is definitely better for size/shape.

I also tried the additional experiment. I can't honestly see any difference between the 2 scrambled epubs produced. Is this what you expected?
Old 11-20-2015, 06:32 PM   #176
RbnJrg
Wizard

Quote:
This one is definitely better for size/shape.
Good

Quote:
I also tried the additional experiment. I can't honestly see any difference between the 2 scrambled epubs produced. Is this what you expected?
It should have a slight difference, especially with images whose width is lower than 100%. In those cases, the second option should produce a bit better result. With images whose width is 100%, the first option should be the best. Of course, all that in theory Maybe our eyes can't capture the difference.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #177
RbnJrg
Wizard

Jackie, in case you decide to use that kind of svg images, below you can download svg for azw3 and kepub format:

https://rbnjrg.bitrix24.com/~ykypJ

https://rbnjrg.bitrix24.com/~rqu6Y
Old 11-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #178
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

OK. Thanks, Ruben I've incorporated all 3 ready for the next release.

I'm waiting for BetterRed's and eschwartz's comments on the 0.0.3b version before doing anything else.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:42 PM   #179
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
OK. Thanks, Ruben I've incorporated all 3 ready for the next release.

I'm waiting for BetterRed's and eschwartz's comments on the 0.0.3b version before doing anything else.
@jackie_w - did a few tests on the stand alone 0.0.2 version, seemed OK to me.

Just downloaded the latest - I'll report back before the end of the week.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #180
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@jackie_w - did a few tests on the stand alone 0.0.2 version, seemed OK to me.

Just downloaded the latest - I'll report back before the end of the week.
Thanks