Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
The eDGe made me take the plunge into e-readers.

I'd been eying the iRex for a couple of years, but when I saw the enTourage eDGe, that was for me! I can't read anything without a pencil in my hand and a laptop open at the same time, so I've gone all first-gen-early-adopter and pre-ordered the device last December. I'm completely new to the e-reader world but we travel a lot and this will really help me read away from home without making choices up front about which book or two I can bring with me on each trip.

I'm also a Nokia N810 internet tablet owner, and have had a couple of tablet PCs when they were useful for work, but am missing stylus input since I switched to a Macbook. I actually learned about the eDGe from a comment on a Microsoft Courier article, and I'm so glad I did. I wouldn't have bought a device without annotation capabilities, and the fact that it will run Android apps too sealed the deal.

I now have placed a moratorium on physical purchases and whenever this thing actually ships, it will be all digital for a few months to see how that goes.

Just wanted to say hi and thanks to those who have posted information about the device here. I've been keeping up with the eDGe threads here for a couple of months, and decided to register today and say hi so that us pre-orderers can figure out how to use this device to its fullest. I've never used an Android device before, so looking forward to learning about that, too.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Sarah and welcome to MobileRead.

I've asked the MR moderators not to let any more of you Canadians join the Forum until you stop sending those damn Alberta Clippers down here (it's 22 degress at the moment, thank you very much) but apparently they aren't listening.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi sarah11918, welcome to MR!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
I am really Jonesing for the Edge.

I have been a Kindle fan from the start and have owned every model. When The Kindle came out, I was impressed with the reading experience. As a pure reader, it truly "disappears" in your hand.

When I moved up to the DX is when I moved from Reading Experience being the need to being truly paperless. It wasn't long after I got it that I installed CutePDF and was using it for all of the printing that I am swamped in.

The book marking capabilities were something that I was using very heavily but I was truly seeing the limitations of only being able to annotate mobi books. In addition, the tic-tac keyboard on the DX was harder to use than on the Kindle 2. It really discouraged me from annotations.

When I saw the Edge, it brought back memories of what I was trying to give my kids when I was teaching. I became excited that I could annotate both books and created pdfs. I wasn't going to be limited to a little keyboard but instead I could use a real keyboard and my God, a stylus.

I could annotate my research with links to the other information on the web in addition to the thoughts in my own head.

I could finally have a real organization scheme. The DX was really starting to get painful to manage because I was using it as a printer. Come on, I was trying to use a 35 page list to do research. It was insane. At least now with the Edge, I'll be able to make tag piles which will help me better organize this mess.

I expected the iPad to give me the best Web experience that I could ever find. But, how could it ever imagine doing that if it ignores existing standard practices such as Flash Programming. I am practically giddy over the idea of playing Farmtown with my finger and I think that some users will find the iPad wanting when they figure out that they can't play it. I'll admit to having a finger-print laden monitor. It just seems like it is how the game should be played.

When they added the DocsToGo feature, that just topped the cake. I see the Edge's possibilities as limited only by the user.

In my opinion, it is the best device in the Market at this time to meet these needs.

Last edited by paulckennedy; 01-30-2010 at 12:23 PM.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
sarah11918,

Welcome! I also ordered an eDGe in December, and am eagerly awaiting the shipping notification. I'll look forward to hearing your and others' reactions to it. Take care.
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to the site.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Thanks for the welcomes!

I'm afraid you can't blame me for the weather since in Atlantic Canada, we suffer from the nor'easters that come up along the coast from the US. And, when we did live in the prairies, it never got above 0F for 4 - 6 months of the year, so clearly we bore the brunt of it.

paulckennedy, we're a paperless family too (complete with Fujitsu ScanSnap, both desktop and mobile version for traveling!). We purchased our current house while on the road in Istanbul on the N810 thanks to the stylus/pdf editing feature, and I made up my mind it would be the eDGe even before the iPad was announced because I just knew there would be no stylus. Have you ordered an eDGe yet, or are you waiting for reviews from the early adopters? I also taught math, so pen technology was essential for my work, which is why I've already been through 2 tablet PCs.

And, I'm always trying to do too much at once, so the dual screen is exactly what I'm looking for - don't have to interrupt one thing to go to the next, something the iPad won't do for a long time. I'm trying to keep myself from expecting too much of a unique, first generation product, but sadly I'm failing miserably. Because it fills so many needs (as opposed to a fun gadget that you create a need for), I'm missing having it before I've even seen it.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
Thanks for the welcomes!
Have you ordered an eDGe yet, or are you waiting for reviews from the early adopters?
I ordered mine January 9th so I am on the February 26th week delivery schedule. (yeah!!!!!)

Quote:
I also taught math,
I was a Math and Science teacher for 3 years. I feel for you!

Quote:
I'm trying to keep myself from expecting too much of a unique, first generation product, but sadly I'm failing miserably. Because it fills so many needs (as opposed to a fun gadget that you create a need for), I'm missing having it before I've even seen it.
I am Bi-Polar so when I saw this I had sold my Kindles within 48 hours to buy it. That was a month ago and I am SORELY in need of an eReader. I didn't realize just how much I had ingrained the DX into my life until I sold it.

I can't wait to get the thing. I feel like a poor drug user who needs his fix badly.

paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #11
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	0092.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	45212 to Mobileread, sarah.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:44 AM   #12
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hello Sarah and welcome to MobileRead. Glad to see you join us here at the forum.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote