Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
berniej
Enthusiast
berniej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Almost Giving Up on Getting an eBook Reader

Here's my dilemma:

I have my mind set on getting a Sony PRS-600. A friend was supposed to go on a short trip to the US and he agreed to get one for me. But his trip was canceled. I have some friends in the US that will be spending the holidays here (BTW, I'm from the Philippines) and I can ask one of them to get the PRS-600 for me.

Now the delay of getting the Sony Reader got me thinking: Is it really worth getting? I'm sure that there will be no after-sales service here if I do get it. For that price, I can get an iPod Touch and use it in conjunction with Calibre and Stanza and do my reading from the Touch. With the iPod Touch, I can get good after-sales service from local Authorize Apple Retailers.

But what I'm after is the experience of reading my eBooks from a *real* eBook device.

Any advice?
berniej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Just order one online and take the chance or get an Ipod touch.
There really isn't any other option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniej View Post
Here's my dilemma:
But what I'm after is the experience of reading my eBooks from a *real* eBook device.
Then you know the answer.

Do they sell other brands of e-reader in the Philippines ? Does it have to be Sony ?
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Here's my dilemma:

I have my mind set on getting a Sony PRS-600. A friend was supposed to go on a short trip to the US and he agreed to get one for me. But his trip was canceled. I have some friends in the US that will be spending the holidays here (BTW, I'm from the Philippines) and I can ask one of them to get the PRS-600 for me.

Now the delay of getting the Sony Reader got me thinking: Is it really worth getting? I'm sure that there will be no after-sales service here if I do get it. For that price, I can get an iPod Touch and use it in conjunction with Calibre and Stanza and do my reading from the Touch. With the iPod Touch, I can get good after-sales service from local Authorize Apple Retailers.

Any advice?
Go to the apple dealer, have a look at a book in Stanza and then decide if that is good enough for you. Many people are happy with that, many prefer ebook devices. I personally think the screen is much too small. It is ok for a chapter or two, but not for extended reading.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I can't read from a backlit device because of eye strain. If you're going to read for an extended period of time I would suggest an actual ebook device. Reading on my PRS-505 is just as comfortable as reading from paper. Screens like those on an ipod flicker (even though you can't see it) and wear out your eyes quickly.

Have you considered getting a 300? The 600 has annoying glare.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:15 AM   #5
George
Enthusiast
George began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/iPhone - PRS 600
You really need to check out a touch to see if it's going to be fine for you. Some people do not have the eyes for it. Even if you find the touch is good enough, a proper ereader will be heaps better in the long run.
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2009, 05:19 AM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Why are you getting an ebook reader device? For some people, it's better to just stick with books for the time being.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
Watch out bernie, I've heard of people's ear rings and glasses being snatched while they're in a Jeepney, hopefully it won't happen to you when you get a reader!
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:18 AM   #8
berniej
Enthusiast

I've actually used an iPod Touch for eBook reading but the experience was not as pleasant as I wanted to. In fact, I had a better eBook reading experience years ago using my "dearly departed" Palm III.

Oh, and one more thing I don't count myself among those "some people" because I did at least 85% of my reading on an electronic device or another for the past 7 years or so. I've tried PDA's, laptops, dumb-phones and smartphones to read and I think it is time for me to get the *real* thing. The only thing that's preventing me from doing that is the unavailability of any kind of eBook reader through local retail channels.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:29 AM   #9
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've been reading four pocket books (Dan Brown) on my iPhone with either eReader and Stanza app. It is so convenient because the phone is always in your pocket. I can ensure that I have books to read everywhere I go.

I also transfer all full-content news feeds from my desktop Mobipocket to my Kindle app (in my iPHone) every morning/evening; and can read full news offline during a day/night.

Usually I'll dim the backlight to its lowest and adjust the font size to suit my eyes. iPhone/iTouch LCD is transflective; so you can read it outdoor too.

Reading in the vet, queueing line, in car during traffic jam, on my bed....everywhere....

Last edited by bthoven; 10-01-2009 at 06:33 AM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
My eyes also can't handle phone screens for extended reading. OTOH, I usually have my Sony 300 in my pocket, ready for reading. If I had an acceptable font size on the iPhone, I'd be constantly changing screens and it would be very disruptive. The ereader devices are much like reading a real book, both for display quality and page size/"turning".
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:34 AM   #11
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Does it necesserily have to be Sony? They are great readers, but there are some alternatives as well. One of them - here: www.PocketBookReader.com (I wish I could learn how to insert that url into my signature
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:10 AM   #12
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Does it necesserily have to be Sony? They are great readers, but there are some alternatives as well. One of them - here: www.PocketBookReader.com (I wish I could learn how to insert that url into my signature
Hi,

Does it support:

1. drmed Mobipocket (.prc)
2. eReader (.pdb)
3. ePUB
4. dictionary lookup (which dictionary documnent format?)

Thanks

ps. how much for shipping cost to Bangkok, Thailand?
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:35 AM   #13
berniej
Enthusiast

The news that the Kindle will be available internationally is great news! Now I can get a real ebook reader (and get ebooks too!)
Old 10-19-2009, 05:11 AM   #14
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Here's my dilemma:

Any advice?
I live in Manila. If you are near here and want to see some ebook readers. I have most of them and you can come by and see them. email amg1957@gmail.com
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #15
norg1
norg1 began at the beginning.

Device: palm tx
I have been reading e-books on My palm tx for 3 years...if it ever broke...I would get another palm tx..the new e-readers are too bulky and expensive, besides, the palm can do far more than these new e-readers can...love the tx.
norg1 is offline   Reply With Quote