Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-11-2016, 09:22 AM   #16
jimbob101
Connoisseur
jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle App Android, Kindle PW2, Calibre
Was having the same problem as I tried to send more books to my Kindle PW2. Once I added the manual Gmail settings (Have 2FA on so used an app password) and books have started to appear in the cloud again.

Don't have any idea what caused it as Calibre was reporting no errors in sending books but books sent yesterday were not showing up in Google Sent mail but books sent after the fix are showing up in sent mail.
jimbob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Odd how many people suddenly got this problem in the last few days.

And nothing changed in calibre's codebase to provoke this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob101 View Post
Don't have any idea what caused it as Calibre was reporting no errors in sending books but books sent yesterday were not showing up in Google Sent mail but books sent after the fix are showing up in sent mail.
This makes me think the problem is on Gmail's end.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #18
OnMyKindle
OnMyKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD7
Quote:
Originally Posted by adoresReading View Post
I think I figured it out! This is what worked for me (using Calibre and gmail):

In Calibre go to "Preferences" > "Sharing books by email" :

In the "Send email from box:" make sure your entire gmail address is appearing

In the Mail Server section, fill in the following:

Hostname: smtp.gmail.com Port: 465
Username: (place your entire gmail address here)
Password: (place your gmail's password here)
Encryption: (pick SSL)

(Interestingly, these options were blank when I went in to do the above. Not sure why they were blank as I know I filled them in a few years ago. So somehow, they got "blanked out" recently.)

Secondly, you WILL have to set your gmail account settings to "Allow access for less secure apps". See this link: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255 read if you want (I wanted to which is why I added this link first) and the you will find a link to access your account settings there. Or if you don't care about the first link, you can go directly to the applicable account setting here: https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps (make sure "Turn on" is selected).

That's it! You can now use your gmail again if you changed the above settings in Calibre and the one setting in your gmail account. Fingers and toes crossed for anyone in this situation. It worked for me and it worked for my father who also suddenly became afflicted with this error. And he lives hundreds of miles from me.
This worked for me too, thanks!

For those who are giving this a shot, it took a little under 5 minutes for the "job" to be completed so this method may take a bit longer than you are used to.

I found a workaround by using the default email app on the laptop to send books to my kindle.com email. I just highlighted the book I wanted to send, chose "Click Path," right-clicked the eBook file in the box that popped up and chose the "Send To -> Mail Recipient" option. It took around 5 minutes for books to appear in the Docs tab of my Amazon Content folder.
OnMyKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:28 PM   #19
OnMyKindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Odd how many people suddenly got this problem in the last few days.

And nothing changed in calibre's codebase to provoke this...

This makes me think the problem is on Gmail's end.
It could be, but I also tried GMX using the "Use GMX" button that auto populates the information for the server as well as other settings that I found by poking around various forums with no luck.

I agree that this is very odd. The workarounds are effective but less efficient; it took less than a minute for books to appear on my Kindle, now it takes almost 5 minutes. It sounds like around 5 minutes is going to become the new norm since the problem seems to stem from the email providers.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is a Anti-DDNS/Spam technique the ISP needs

If you have so many books to send... why not use USB? Mail is best for 1zees-2zeez
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2016, 07:17 PM   #21
Colc
Enthusiast
Colc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
"since the problem seems to stem from the email provider"

to me that does not explain why I can receive books direct from Amazon to my Kindle via the kindle email address, but not any third party sources like Bolinda etc.
Seems to me, to be Amazon interference.
Colc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:00 AM   #22
adoresReading
adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Regarding the 5 minutes to get the book in your Docs list (or on your Kindle), you can change "The number of seconds to wait before sending emails" from the default of 301 to something lower in Calibre. I set mine to 5. (Note: 301 seconds is just over 5 minutes).

In Calibre, go to "Preferences" > "Tweaks"
Type the word "delay" in the search box (without the quotes), in the box that says "Edit Tweak" you'll find the following parameter: "public_smtp_relay_delay =". Change it to a number you feel comfortable with. I've always had mine set to 5 and have not encountered any problems with spam blockers.

Hope this helps!
adoresReading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:02 AM   #23
adoresReading
adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!adoresReading , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Also want to note that my father was not using a gmail account in Calibre. So I don't think it is a gmail issue.
adoresReading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #24
a_e_w
a_e_w began at the beginning.

Device: kindle (kb, pw & Fire)
I have the same problem. I have been using this feature for a long time without problems and have made no changes.
Now when I atempt to email from Calibre, the spinny wheel goes round for a few seconds and that's it. No document appears in my account (or my wife's account). No emails are received from Amazon.
(It doesn't work from my wife's PC either - using a completely differen't email account).
If I use the 'test email option', it reports success and that's followed by an email from Amazon reporting (correctly) there was no attachment.
If I email the book from the same account, via Outlook rather than Calibre, the book transfers successfully.
I uninstalled Calibre and installed a previous version, but the problem persisted.
That would seem to indicate that Amazon have changed something.

Last edited by a_e_w; 08-12-2016 at 11:37 AM.
a_e_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:12 PM   #25
a_e_w
a_e_w began at the beginning.

Device: kindle (kb, pw & Fire)
I've just filled in the relevant information in the 'Use server' option (an Orange' account.) That worked.
I think that more or less confirms that it's Amazon who have changed something.
a_e_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #26
OnMyKindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colc View Post
"since the problem seems to stem from the email provider"

to me that does not explain why I can receive books direct from Amazon to my Kindle via the kindle email address, but not any third party sources like Bolinda etc.
Seems to me, to be Amazon interference.
You got me there... I'm no expert on the subject.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #27
OnMyKindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoresReading View Post
Regarding the 5 minutes to get the book in your Docs list (or on your Kindle), you can change "The number of seconds to wait before sending emails" from the default of 301 to something lower in Calibre. I set mine to 5. (Note: 301 seconds is just over 5 minutes).

In Calibre, go to "Preferences" > "Tweaks"
Type the word "delay" in the search box (without the quotes), in the box that says "Edit Tweak" you'll find the following parameter: "public_smtp_relay_delay =". Change it to a number you feel comfortable with. I've always had mine set to 5 and have not encountered any problems with spam blockers.

Hope this helps!
It does, thank you!
Old 08-12-2016, 10:29 PM   #28
Colc
Enthusiast
Colc began at the beginning.

You got me there... I'm no expert on the subject. "

Neither am I, from now on I will transfer from Calibre via USB, cut out Amazon completely, their loss; I will not purchase books from them in the future, it will also protect me from those sometimes puzzling updates they force upon us.
Colc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:10 PM   #29
ILuvSebago
ILuvSebago began at the beginning.

Device: iluvsebago@kindle.com
This is very frustrating. I wrote a letter a couple of days ago and was told to delete all the books on my kindle and then reinstall them one by one to find out what books was the problem one, creating a problem in the index.

I have sent to 4 different Kindles, none of them arriving, so how can it be a problem with one of the kindles??? As this started happening the beginning of August, and others are experiencing the same problem, it seems to be a coding issue.

*** Some of you have said that you sent the books to the Kindle thru gmail ... or another way of sending the books to your kindle ... can you tell me how that is done??
THANKS!!
ILuvSebago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #30
ILuvSebago
ILuvSebago began at the beginning.

Device: iluvsebago@kindle.com
ON MY KINDLE: IT WORKED!!!!!!!

YAYYYYY!!!!!!! this worked for me too!!!!!!!

3 days of extreme frustration cured!!!!

Thank you so much ON MY KINDLE !!!!!
ILuvSebago is offline   Reply With Quote