Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you print out most PDFs?
Yes 8 13.79%
No 42 72.41%
50/50 8 13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Do you print out PDFs?

A RANT
The standard size for PDFs is 8.5 by 11 with 10 frakking point font. I hate it! I'm trying to read the document on a 12" screen. I cannot read the damn thing at less than full magnification, and that cuts off about a third of a page. I've always wanted to meet the sadist that set this standard.

But it occurred to me today that I might be in the minority. Perhaps most people print out PDFs. This brings me to the poll: Do you print out most PDFs, or do you read them on a computer?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
A RANT
The standard size for PDFs is 8.5 by 11 with 10 frakking point font. I hate it! I'm trying to read the document on a 12" screen. I cannot read the damn thing at less than full magnification, and that cuts off about a third of a page. I've always wanted to meet the sadist that set this standard.

But it occurred to me today that I might be in the minority. Perhaps most people print out PDFs. This brings me to the poll: Do you print out most PDFs, or do you read them on a computer?
A mix. I sometimes print them out, when they are documentation for a system I deal with. I normally read on screen.

But there are reasons why I have a 19" monitor in 1600x1200 resolution...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
Ordinaryuser
Enthusiast
Ordinaryuser doesn't litterOrdinaryuser doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook Reader
I read them on my computer. 22' monitor bought especially for that purpose since I havn't decided on an ebook yet. But the brightness of the screen still hurts my eyes eventually. Gotta decide!
Ordinaryuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I never print anything. It just goes against the grain for me.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I used to print PDFs, but not anymore. Usually I read them on the iLiad. Sometimes on my laptop (12" screen). The only time I get annoyed is when there are multiple columns. :/
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
Jeff Duntemann
Enthusiast
Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff Duntemann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3; also Moto G Stylus phone
Quote:
A RANT

There's nothing standard about any particular page trim size for a PDF. The size is something that the PDF's creator sets at the outset. Most of the books that I create are laid out for a 6" X 9" trim size, and the PDFs that I generate reflect that. Ditto font sizes: The creator chooses them.

A document like you describe is painful in the extreme, but unless it's a holograph (which these days means that the pages are scans or photostats of physical printed pages) a page size and font size like that are unnecessary and suggest that the creator doesn't understand book layout very well.

If it is a holograph, then the creator may have had no choice. If he/she was dealing with a pile of physical 8 1/2" X 11" sheets originally printed in 10 point type, then that's what goes into the PDF.

Better reader software and higher resolution digital paper will help a lot with this problem. Things are going to get a lot better in the next 3-5 years.
Jeff Duntemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
The standard size for PDFs is 8.5 by 11 with 10 frakking point font.
That's not exact. A PDF page size is just what you configure it to be. I'm generating my own PDFs with pdflatex, and I set the page size to 9x12cm, the size of my Cybook screen
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
That's not exact. A PDF page size is just what you configure it to be. I'm generating my own PDFs with pdflatex, and I set the page size to 9x12cm, the size of my Cybook screen

Yes, but most people don't bother with the settings.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #9
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
I bought a used HP networked LaserJet (34PPM, 3100 page capacity, duplexing, up to 11"x17" paper, etc.) for printing PDFs. That was before e-ink.

If you surf www.CraigsList.com and www.eBay.com you can find HP LaserJet 5si, 8000, 8100, and similar printers for a few dollars. Toners are affordable.

I also picked up a very large 3-hole punch, a massive stack of 3-ring binders, and several large (220 sheet capacity) staplers.

Then I got my PRS-505, and have mostly read from it. There are some PDFs that are too small to read, so far. (I have not messed with PDF2LRF, but the weekend is near.) I recently printed out a chapter from a math book on infinite series.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Most of my PDFs are bought from HERO games and if I'm going to use them regularly I print them out.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:34 PM   #11
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
Teacher here. Yes, I print them out often, for various reasons: student handouts that I photocopy, administrative info that I'm required to have at my fingertips, etc.
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair
Mike's Place doesn't litterMike's Place doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Not bragging... but I don't have much trouble with PDF's

Quote:
A RANTI'm trying to read the document on a 12" screen. I cannot read the damn thing at less than full magnification, and that cuts off about a third of a page.
I have a screen that is 8 1/4" high x 13" wide (15.4"), but the resolution is 1920x1200. I think the high-res makes the diff because I have no problem reading a normal PDF... oh, I do use a pair of 1.0 reading glasses.

I print PDF's out anyway because I write a lot of notes on them.
Mike's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Place View Post
I have a screen that is 8 1/4" high x 13" wide (15.4"), but the resolution is 1920x1200. I think the high-res makes the diff because I have no problem reading a normal PDF... oh, I do use a pair of 1.0 reading glasses.

I print PDF's out anyway because I write a lot of notes on them.
15.4" wide screen with resolution 1920x1200?
WOW!

my laptop has the same screen size, however, I use 1280x800 - native.
Even my 20" ( standard 4:3) desktop monitor is configured to 1600x1200.

I find both of them on the border, I would not be able to use higher resolution on them.

Last edited by astra; 02-19-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: bigger->higher->my english
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

The results so far are very interesting.