Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you already preorder the nook?
Yes 63 27.88%
No 45 19.91%
I am going to 10 4.42%
I may be going to 37 16.37%
I am not going to 71 31.42%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #31
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
What is the difference between "No" and "I am not going to"?
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #32
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
It's tempting.

But with a Sony and a Kindle, I'm looking forward to the Nook to see what sort of innovations it offers.

The prices really do seem to be a sticking point. I hate the prices in the Sony store right now and buy most of my stuff from the evil empire (read: Amazon)

My other .. frustration is the touting of the "Lend" feature to find that from the press so far is this appears to be. . . . worthless.

Not like I have many friends that embrace digital reading. But, most people do have more than one friend. Or more than one person that would be interested in a certain book, ya know.

I'm also a little... blech about the lack of love to the B/N Club members. I'm pretty sure I even got a discount with my Borders club on the Sony.

And on top of that, I've also been a loyal BuyWise member for a couple years. You would think we could get some love from B/N & FW for that.

*HINT HINT* to B/N if they happen to be paying attention.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:51 AM   #33
s-one
s-one began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Just ordered! Can't wait!
s-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #34
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
I just cancelled my preorder. These ebook prices are redic. $21.00 for the nook or $9.99 on the kindle... hmmm
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #35
geneaber
Connoisseur
geneaber doesn't littergeneaber doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj1n View Post
I just cancelled my preorder. These ebook prices are redic. $21.00 for the nook or $9.99 on the kindle... hmmm
Which book? Is this a trend or isolated incidents?
geneaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #36
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneaber View Post
Which book? Is this a trend or isolated incidents?
This is definitely not an isolated incident.

This is from my other post:

Gates of Fire
Kindle: $6.39
Nook: $7.99

The Unforgiving Minute: A Soldier's Education
Kindle: $9.99
Nook: $14.99

Sookie Stackhouse Set
Kindle: $29.90
Nook: $51.13

Joker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood
Nook: $20.80

Kite Runner
Kindle: $9.51
Nook: $11.20

The Big Necessity: The Unmentionable World of Human Waste and Why It Matters
Nook: $9.99

The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives
Nook: $12.00

They have most of the NYTimes Best sellers matched with the Kindle for 9.99 but most other books are cheaper on the kindle. I didn't find any BN nooks that were priced cheaper than amazon although they may be out there. This is disappointing as I was looking forward to getting a nook but ebook prices are more important.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #37
Janet54
Connoisseur
Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Janet54 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Voyage, Fire HDX, Fire Phone, Galaxy Note 8,10.9
don't forget to add the tax.
I have not been charged tax on kindle but I wonder if there will be tax on Nook as there is a store in every state.
Janet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #38
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Unlike Amazon, BN charges a 10% restocking fee if you return the Nook unless its defective. A $259 device will cost $25.90 to return.........way more than the postage on a Kindle, which would run less than $10 priority mail. (US)

It would be better to wait, and play with it in the store to make sure its the right device for you.

Q. Can I return my nook?
X Yes. You can return nook within 14 days of receipt. Either call 1-800-THE-BOOK (843-2665) for a return authorization or return it to any Barnes & Noble store. A 10% restocking fee will be charged to customers returning a non-defective device that has had its shrink wrap removed and/or seal broken.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #39
juj1n
Connoisseur

Considering the nook comes out around black friday and the start of holiday shopping season, do you think it will even be possible to get a nook if not under preorder?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #40
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Unlike Amazon, BN charges a 10% restocking fee if you return the Nook unless its defective. A $259 device will cost $25.90 to return.........way more than the postage on a Kindle, which would run less than $10 priority mail. (US)

It would be better to wait, and play with it in the store to make sure its the right device for you.
I agree. I'm not personally planning on buying one any time soon, if at all. I already have a Kindle that I'm quite happy with, otherwise I might consider it. The nook has some really interesting features and I like the design. Hearing more about the selection, prices, and lending restrictions, has made it a little less shiny to me but it's just coming out. I expect some growing pains and changes. Amazon's certainly had plenty, too. However, if I were readerless and wanted a nook, I absolutely would not pre-order with that restocking fee. I'd go play with it in the store. I plan on doing that anyway just for fun.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #41
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
What is the difference between "No" and "I am not going to"?
No, I didn't pre-order (but might?) and No, I'm not going to pre-order ever?

That's my guess.

Some of the features sounded very cool to start with (lending for 14 days for example) but then when the facts trickled in...not so legendary. Same with the "color screen" when it turned out to only be color on the controls. Not that I'm picking at it. I'm thrilled that another reader is out because the more competition there is, the better it is going to be for consumers.

There was a thread on Amazon comparing ebook prices and that thread largely showed the same thing as this discussion--overall, Amazon had lower prices with few exceptions.

Maria
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #42
juj1n
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post

There was a thread on Amazon comparing ebook prices and that thread largely showed the same thing as this discussion--overall, Amazon had lower prices with few exceptions.

Maria
Unfortunately this is true and it seems B&N officials and admins on their website are avoiding the topic of ebook pricing. No one knows if it's because they aren't allowed to discuss the potential change in pricing strategy or if they're not going to do anything at all...
Old 10-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #43
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
... If B&N comes with a smaller portable version of the Nook that is oriented towards travel, I'm eager to get a little Nookie! :-)
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:23 PM   #44
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'm thinking seriously about buying a Nook -- but I think I'll wait until I can pick one up in the store rather than ordering over the Internet.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #45
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I pre-ordered, but yesterday I canceled the order (no restocking fee for canceling thank goodness). The lend ONCE and ONCE ONLY thing was the straw that broke the camels back, but the differences in price between B&N books and Amazon books was the main factor.

There are some things I like about the Nook -- SD card, replaceable battery, user designed screensavers, ePub support, PDF support, and it's pretty. However, the price and availability of books is paramount. I suppose that when Plastic Logic's Que proReader is released I'll take a second look at B&N, and hopefully the price of books will be more competitive at that point.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote