Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-21-2013, 02:23 AM   #1
mezme
Connoisseur
mezme began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
Copy to Library function

I maintain a duplicate copy of my library in case of system crashes, etc. I use the "copy to library" function to transfer a copy of the newly added books to the backup library. However... I do have one problem. If I change information in my primary library and use "copy to library" it does not overwrite existing metadata. I have to make the changes manually to both libraries.

Is there a way to have copy to library overwrite metadata?
mezme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:19 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
It might be more convenient to sync the libraries instead.

There are many different excellent sync programs available, many of them free. Try to Google "sync utility {name of your operating system}".

Using a sync program you typically only have to update metadata.db and changed/deleted/new books. Can be very fast. I use rsync (cross platform) and Back In Time (Linux) to maintain several generations of backups of my calibre library.

Last edited by Adoby; 08-21-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
It might be more convenient to sync the libraries instead.

There are many different excellent sync programs available, many of them free. Try to Google "sync utility {name of your operating system}".
I second this. I even went to Calibre Portable to have everything in one place and sync the main directory. I use FreeFileSync, but like you say, there are many options; pick one you like.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
Huisie
Enthusiast
Huisie doesn't litterHuisie doesn't litter

Device: none
For automatic syncing of large libraries, you might want to give BitTorrent Sync a try (http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html).
When Microsoft binned Live Mesh i was at a loss for automatic syncing of my various media between PCs - the various alternatives were poor. BT Sync is brilliant - and much faster than Live Mesh ever was.
I also use FreeFileSync (Portable), as mbovenka suggested. It is a great tool for syncing data - I use it for checking sync between folders before setting up auto-sync with BT Sync.
FFS also has a "RealTimeSync" option.
Huisie is offline   Reply With Quote