Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
That Nook Glow Commercial!

I am a long-time kindle lover. Have every version, and have gifted every version. I currently use the K4 for reading, but more and more, I turn to the KF, because of the white text on black background.

I am really, really jonesing that Nook Glow. It would be perfect on the train - just turn on the glow when the train is dark when it first switches to onboard power.

Let's see - I could get up and drive 10 miles right now and get one. Or, I could go into the B&N at the other end of my work building tomorrow morning.

I know I am being disloyal, but man, that is a great commercial! Anyone else tempted?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
No. I think's too expensive. I might be interested if Amazon comes out with a similar Kindle. I would pay that price for a lighted Kindle. However it would need other improvements over the current touch. More than 1 button, for starters. I like the buttons on my Sony T1. I don't think I'd buy a touch reader without a few buttons.

The lack of buttons on my NC can be very frustrating. It doesn't usually bother me, with the KFire.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
The Nook does have page turn buttons on each side. They aren't as easy to use as those on the K4NT, but they are there. I do like the ability to just throw a Micro SD card in and be good to go, I could pick one up, take the SD card out of my T1, add it to the Nook and be off and running in no time.

For the price, given the premium Amazon charges for a lighted case, I don't think it's a bad deal, but may wait for a price drop, or the inevitable refurbs to show up.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Anyone else tempted?
I'm waiting for the Kindle version of "Glow Light." I saw the B&N one the other day, and I was really impressed.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
The Nook does have page turn buttons on each side. They aren't as easy to use as those on the K4NT, but they are there. I do like the ability to just throw a Micro SD card in and be good to go, I could pick one up, take the SD card out of my T1, add it to the Nook and be off and running in no time.

For the price, given the premium Amazon charges for a lighted case, I don't think it's a bad deal, but may wait for a price drop, or the inevitable refurbs to show up.
I agree, the buttons and the SD card slot on the Nook Touch are a big plus! I would be tempted by a refurb, in a year or so when the price comes way down. But, I really think my T1 is better, light or no light. (Better than the Kindle Touch too, in most ways).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Wow, I didn't notice the price. Pretty expensive, given my K4 and My KF. Guess I wait until Amazon comes out with something at a lower price.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I've been a bit tempted by it. The lighting doesn't seem to be too bright, so it makes it easier to read at night and not have the brightness of an LCD screen (Fire/Phone) possibly bother someone (ladywife or the hotdog).

I probably sound like a broken record, but I really hope that Amazon fires back with Flex lighting on a Kindle.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I'm very tempted, but as I shudder with the thought of dealing with B&N's CS if anything goes wrong, I'll wait for the Kindle to glow
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I'm very tempted, but as I shudder with the thought of dealing with B&N's CS if anything goes wrong, I'll wait for the Kindle to glow
Same here.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would guess that there is not going to be too long of a wait for a Glowing Kindle. I am not overly interested in one but I can see why people like the idea.

I am more interested in page turn buttons on the KT. I have had my IPad for two weeks and the fingerprints drive me nuts.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I am more interested in page turn buttons on the KT.
A Kindle touch, with the page turn buttons from the K4NT and some form of built in "backlight" would be the perfect device for me.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

I use my Fire for low light reading and only use an eInk Kindle when out doors or in very bright light in doors. IMO, with a price of $139 you might as well spend the extra $60 and get a Fire.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I am more interested in page turn buttons on the KT. I have had my IPad for two weeks and the fingerprints drive me nuts.
Completely different. The glossy screens on tablets and smartphones are fingerprint magnets. Not so for the fairly matte screens on eInk touch devices, not that I would mind them adding buttons. I was fearful of fingerprints when I first got a KTouch, but it's really been a non-issue.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I, too, considered buying a NG (my abbreviation) so I made a trip to a local B&N along with my Kindle Touch for comparison. As impressive as it was, I was disappointed that it lacked the contrast and crispness of my KT when lighted. In fact, with the glowlight off, the contrast was not as good as the regular Simple Touch.

I will wait for Amazon's version.

What I found really odd, from a marketing standpoint, was that there were three new NGs on display but a salesperson said they were not yet available to purchase. This was last Monday, after the first online pre-orders had already been delivered and many reported buying them from B&N stores.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Barnes & Noble has been running quite a few TV ads for the Nook Glow. I think it's a great idea but I won't be buying one. If Amazon comes out with a similar model, I may consider buying one once my Kindle Keyboard dies, but not until then.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote