Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur
kenbaldwin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
bookmarks in RTF

When editing an RTF file in Word, is it possible to insert a bookmark that the Reader will recognize? If so, how? Thanks
kenbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't think so -- the bookmarks are stored in the cache.xml file on the Reader or memory card (depending on where the book in question is located). You might be able to manually add a bookmark to that file (provided you successfully mimic the format), but it would seem like more trouble than it's worth.

I have noticed that if I set a mark in the Connect Software before xfering to the Reader, the mark shows up on the Reader. That might be some help.

Peculiarly, you can't set a mark in a file that's already on the Reader via the Connect Software. You can xfer the book to the PC side, delete it from the Reader, set your mark and xfr it back to the Reader, but that's a lot of trouble.

I'm hoping they'll allow bookmarking files in the Reader via the Connect software at some point. Clearly the Connect software is a work in progress -- servicable, but not elegant.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Peculiarly, you can't set a mark in a file that's already on the Reader via the Connect Software. You can xfer the book to the PC side, delete it from the Reader, set your mark and xfr it back to the Reader, but that's a lot of trouble.
Thanks Nathan. That was driving me crazy. I couldn't figure how to create a bookmark in the software. So to set a bookmark for a book which exists only on the PC side, I can just click the icon, right?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yah, it's the icon that looks like a square with one triangular half of it black and the other white -- right next to the search bar.

You can set the mark only on books that you've got open on the PC side, but they don't sync to the Reader unless you xfr the file to the Reader yourself. If you already have a copy of the file on the Reader, well I'd remove it first, just to be sure.

I've been deleting the PC copy, xfring the Reader copy to the PC, setting whatever marks I wanted, then deleting the file of the Reader and xfring it back. Like I said, it's a lot more trouble than it oughta be, but it does work.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 12:36 PM   #5
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur
kenbaldwin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The best method of inserting bookmarks (sort of) in RTF appears to be that described by BobVA in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88&postcount=6

I'm just posting the xref here for future readers.
kenbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote