Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Dvalin21
Zealot
Dvalin21 began at the beginning.

Device: VS Gtablet/Zenithink/GS II T-Mobile
Need help picking Ebook Reader

Shopping for my wife. Anniv. coming up and want to get her an Ebook Reader. She would be prefer one in color, but if not, may just go for the new kindle. Please post any links and suggestion you can. Thanks.
Dvalin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
MustardJeep
MustardJeep began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten/Sony Reader
The Amazon Kindle and the Barnes & Nobel Nook Readers are probably top of the heap if your looking for small, dependable, b/w e-ink, and well supported. Both readers have their own respective bookstores backing them so it's really apples and oranges on purchased books. Not to mention fairly decent battery life.

If your wife has an existing book collection you will probably want to go with a device that supports her favorite file types.

And if you want a color ebook reader you should probably wait another few weeks if you can for the impending tablet computer explosion. Thirty or so tablets are nearly at market or out recently ranging from 200 -1000 depending on specs.
MustardJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
Dvalin21
Zealot
Dvalin21 began at the beginning.

Device: VS Gtablet/Zenithink/GS II T-Mobile
MJ,

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at the kindle, but was hoping for color. I still have awhile anyway. Thanks again.
Dvalin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvalin21 View Post
MJ,

Thanks for the advice. I was looking at the kindle, but was hoping for color. I still have awhile anyway. Thanks again.
If you are looking for a color one, I would suggest, perhaps, waiting until tablets with Pixel Qi screens to be released. It allows you to turn off the back light and save battery power that way.

That being said, what does your wife like to read? If it is mostly magazines or another type of reading that is rich in visual color imagery, then an Apple iPad might be best. If she likes reading lots and lots of text dense novels, then really consider giving up color for E-Ink, since the experience really does mimic the quality of paper.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvalin21 View Post
MJ,

Color means LCD screen which means hours of battery life instead of the weeks between charges for eink B&W readers.
Comparable devices in color are as much as two years away (the factory for one approach is just being built).
You can get several color "readers" built off Android tablets at places like Bed,Bath, and Beyond (Pandigital Novel), K-Mart (Augen the Book), Walgreens and CVS.
There may be a quality Android tablet on the market at some point in the near future (Pocketbook is supposed to have one on the way) but current models are touch and go.

Or you could get an iPad for $499 or a VILIV Win7 tablet for $599.

B&W, on the other hand, you can have now and there are quite a few that are solidly reliable, feature-rich, and affordable, to boot. (Starting at $99)

You sure color is mandatory? Maybe you can get B&W now and wait for color later? You can do a lot of reading in two years.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert