Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 04-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
calibre ereader output testers needed

I've implemented ereader output more or less in Calibre for 0.6. There is still some more work to do with it but the base work is done. That is providing the files can be read properly in ereader pro. I've attached a pdb of newsweek which was downloaded with Calibre. Can someone try it out in an ereader app and tell me if it even opens?
Attached Files
File Type: pdb newsweek.pdb (444.9 KB, 588 views)
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
This file did not work on my BlackBerry storm
I also tested my files to make sure it was not just my device
It worked

I'm not sure why this file does not work.

I gave you ghe pml for the test file, can you build them with your tool? If so load it herw so I can test it
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, try this one. I don't know what some of the record0 locations are supposed to contain so I'm just guessing based upon what I see in the test files. This one also guarantees images are PNG and not larger than the maximum.
Attached Files
File Type: pdb newsweek.pdb (436.3 KB, 581 views)
Old 04-26-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay I've looked at these books both with the eReader Desktop and the eReader for BB

The BB does not work with either files

The eReader crashes with the file in post #1 after you turn page 1
The eReader crashes on page 6

=X=
Old 04-26-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
user_none

Okay, try these three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X=
I gave you ghe pml for the test file, can you build them with your tool?
mytest.pdb is the output. I can't load the pml directly. The file is your test.pdb converted to epub then converted back to ereader pdb. The sidebar and footnotes should be text at the end of the file and not embedded like before.
Attached Files
File Type: pdb newsweek.pdb (436.3 KB, 578 views)
File Type: pdb hc.pdb (139.7 KB, 555 views)
File Type: pdb mytest.pdb (1.8 KB, 567 views)
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Okay, try these three.

mytest.pdb is the output. I can't load the pml directly. The file is your test.pdb converted to epub then converted back to ereader pdb. The sidebar and footnotes should be text at the end of the file and not embedded like before.

newsweek.pdb
hc.pdb
mytest.pdb
None of the above files work on the eReader desktop or the Blackberry Storm eReader.

I'm not sure how this "newsweek.pdb" differes from that of post #3 but this newsweek crashes the eReader on load. The latter crashed the eReader only on the last page.

Non have worked on the eReader BlackBerry

Last edited by =X=; 04-26-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
user_none

3 more to try. Here is what's going on with these files.

ereader files are comprised of 3 basic parts, pdb header, ereader header and data. The pdb header which specifies the internal format type and the layout of the data sections. The first section is the ereader format header. It specifies a lot of information such as format version, compression. Most importantly it specifies what type of data is in each of the remaining sections. I know what 10 of the sections are and what kind of value they should have. However, there are 27 sections.

What I'm doing is inspecting the data in the 17 unknown sections in various files from different sources and I'm looking for patterns on the differences in their values. Some are easy to spot, they have the same value no matter what file or application built them. Some are harder. As I analyze the values I'm adjusting the output of my writer and hoping I get it right.
Attached Files
File Type: pdb mytest.pdb (1.8 KB, 561 views)
File Type: pdb newsweek.pdb (436.4 KB, 588 views)
File Type: pdb hc.pdb (139.7 KB, 538 views)
Old 04-26-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard

Both mytest.pdb and newsweek.pdb hang the desktop eReader. hc.pdb generates an error message "This file is a format not recognized by eReader"

I did not try these on the BB storm

=X=
Old 04-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
3 more to try.
All the eReader files I have seen start with the title of the ebook. These examples don't seem to do so.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
All the eReader files I have seen start with the title of the ebook. These examples don't seem to do so.
That is true of all PDB Palm files. The first 32 bytes holds a zero terminated title for the database. All of this is documented in our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft
That is true of all PDB Palm files. The first 32 bytes holds a zero terminated title for the database. All of this is documented in our wiki.
The files all have a 32 byte zero terminated title string at the beginning of the file. The string is empty because I haven't implemented writing metadata to the file yet.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe the 32 byte title string is not allowed to be empty.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe the 32 byte title string is not allowed to be empty.
It is. I've also tried it with text in it. As of right now due to the lack of information on the format eReader output is being put on hold for the time being.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
It is. I've also tried it with text in it. As of right now due to the lack of information on the format eReader output is being put on hold for the time being.
Did you look in the wiki? It is documented there.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #15
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Did you look in the wiki? It is documented there.
The pdb header is documented on the wiki. Within the pdb container is the a header for the ereader format. It is record 0 of the pdb file. The ereader header is a 132 byte package that defines certain values regarding to the ereader format within the pdb container. The 132 byte ereader header is not defined in the wiki and I have not been able to find it defined fully anywhere.