Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #61
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
...aaand their mail just arrived. Cutting it close.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:03 PM   #62
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
...aaand their mail just arrived. Cutting it close.
I received one email, and didn't need to do anything. When I went back to look at the email again, there was a second copy with a notation from Gmail that many users had flagged such messages as spam.

So, if you use Gmail, check that spam folder!
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2014, 12:36 AM   #63
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
So, if you use Gmail, check that spam folder!

That's where mine ended up. Not surprising since they sent out multiple copies to most people. Not that I need it, but they really aren't giving folks much notice.

Here's a quote of the email in case anyone wants to know what they said...
Quote:
Diesel eBooks will be closing at the end of this month. It's been a great ride! We're exploring our options - eBooks are still in the infant years and there are many opportunities opening up now and in the future.

IMPORTANT: you must download your eBooks by month end. Downloads will not be possible on April 1st. We want to thank you for being such loyal customers. Understand this doesn't necessarily mean you won't see Diesel in another form in the near future.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #64
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I just got my notice. (I do not use any of those free mail addresses)

Really, a shame that a decent e-tailer can not survive. Or had to resort to cutting margins so slim, they will not survive.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #65
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Well, I received the email okay, but when I logged in I was only able to re-download 3 DRM-free books. All the rest gave errors about the publisher having withdrawn the books and it was beyond Diesel's control. Fortunately, they are all in Calibre anyway but it is annoying.

Long live Kovid and Alf!!
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #66
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I received my first email today, 30th March, with a deadline of April 1st. Too bad if I was out of town or sick for a couple of days, huh? Either way, no books on my bookshelf.

This is why we clean DRM, to those opposed to or apathetic about such activities.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:49 AM   #67
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
The original DRMed copies would still work, if you downloaded them at the time. This is more about backing up your files.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #68
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yep - I lost credit with BoB. Live and learn - don't leave credit unspent!
On the other hand, I recently received a $52 check for my unpaid subscription at Fictionwise...

(I'm not sure to what? Surely I didn't have that many months of their club pre-paid)
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #69
lybrary
lybrary began at the beginning.

Device: none
It is sad to see independent ebook retailers shutting down. As the owner of an independent ebook retailer myself - Lybrary.com - it makes me think. I want to offer a few answers to some of the questions posed in this thread and would like to ask a few questions myself to help me build and guide my business. Lybrary.com is in business as ebook retailer since 2000, which makes us one of the longest running ebook stores.

Adobe tax: that DRM tax Adobe charges is not very much and can not be the reason why a retailer would go out of business or not be able to compete.

Agency Model: Yes, definitely this has made it extremely hard for independent retailers to compete. Our answer to the agency model was the following. One, we do not retail agency model ebooks. Yes, that means we cannot offer certain titles, but we can better support all those publishers who do not use the agency model. In this way, we help these non-agency publishers be more successful. I think if other retailers would do the same, and most importantly if customers would preferentially buy non-agency ebooks, it might cause the big publishers to rethink their strategy. Well, maybe I am too much of an idealist. Probably the big publishers don't give a damn either way. But you have a choice. Supporting independent retailers like Lybrary.com and others will certainly be good for customers long term.

Second, we don't try to be like the big retailers. We try to find niches where we are better than the big ones. For example we are world wide the leader in magic and conjuring ebooks. We have about 4000 titles in this category which won't find in any other store, certainly not at the big ebook retailers. We are working on building other niches. I think that this is the solution for independent retailers. Find a niche, develop relationships with authors and publishers in this niche. That will allow one to attract customers and content. In those niches we can compete with the Apples and Amazons. We have done this successfully for 14 years and I am pretty sure we will continue to do this for decades to come.

A couple of questions to the experts here.
- what would be interesting subject niches to specialize in? Anything that is not well served by the big boys?
- any particular features or offerings that would make you preferentially choose one retailer over another?

Thanks for reading. I appreciate any feedback, suggestions and recommendations.

Best,
DI Dr Chris Wasshuber
[Promotional link deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-09-2014 at 09:26 AM.
lybrary is offline   Reply With Quote