Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
CraftingGrandma
Enthusiast
CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Sony 650
Sewing a case

I was going to sew a case for my reader and possibly other family members, but then I thought of something I can't find an answer to.

What materials/cloths are safe (won't scratch) the screen?

Also, while I have worked with many different cloths, I'm not as familiar with how they interact with electronics. Are there some materials that while they won't scratch the screen; they will leave dust/fuzzies?

And last, while I most want the answers pertain to my model (Sony 650) will these answer differ for others (B&N, early Sony models) Does the touch screen scratch differently then the old models?

Thank you in advance everybody!
CraftingGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Thumbs up Ah ha................

I'm sure a micro-fibre cleaning cloth would be OK to line it, they clean the screens brilliantly.
Actually, keeping it in a case with a micro-fibre lining, might well mean you never have to clean the screen of greasy fingie marks ever again !

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
CraftyDan
Zealot
CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.CraftyDan knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PRS-600 and PRS-350
CraftingGrandma,

If you have enough internal stiffening, the cover will never touch the screen. If you don't have enough stiffness, your cover will be limited in absorbing impacts.

Something to keep in mind.
CraftyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
CraftingGrandma
Enthusiast
CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.CraftingGrandma has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Thank you both for your quick replies.

The microfiber idea is a good one, but where can you buy them in a large enough size? I did a quick look around Joann fabrics and couldn't find any.

As for the stiffness, That's how I was planning on making it. I've always made my crafts taut, the problem is I am older now, and to keep a good grip on my ereader as I slide it into the case I have to put pressure down the center of the case with my thumb and guide it in. So my thumb will be pressing the fabric into the screen no matter how tight I make it. This is one of the reasons I was wondering what fabrics won't scratch the screen.

I would love to have a hard case to protect my reader, but again my age. I can't open any of the hard cases without pain and some I just cant open at all.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
acolsandra
Enthusiast
acolsandra began at the beginning.

Device: bebook1, pocketbook 302
I was wondering if you knew about these designs (they are with the embroidery machine, but maybe if you don't have such a machine, someone else does).
I bought the designs, but I am still looking for some time to make them.

http://www.secretsof.com/content/6587

greetings Sandra
acolsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
CraftingGrandma
Enthusiast

That's not a bad design, but I would seal off the side to left of the part holding the reader. I wouldn't want my reader popping out the side.

Actually I would make the whole part to the right a complete envelope (to seal off the edges from debris as well) and insert a stiff backing. as for the flap to the left I would also make a pocket to hold a few pieces of paper or even a cleaning cloth.

Last edited by CraftingGrandma; 04-29-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Second look at pictures
Old 05-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
CraftingGrandma
Enthusiast

Does anyone else have any information about "safe" materials to use?
Old 05-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I've been using a quilted cotton twill potholder that I bought at Bed, Bath & Beyond two years ago as an eReader case, and never had a problem with it scratching either my eInk screens or the lcd screens on my tablets. Too bad they stopped making that particular style right after I bought it.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I'd use Alcantara.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
CraftingGrandma
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
I'd use Alcantara.
I'm not too sure about that. I don't like the idea of having to do daily monthly and yearly cleaning on it.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
CraftingGrandma
Enthusiast

So it seems like microfiber and cotton are known not to scratch, are they any I should diffidently stay away from?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
IMHO, one of the primary purposes of a cover is to protect the screen from impacts-- so a fabric-only cover would be of little value. You could consider putting something inside the front cover-- such as a rectangle of heavy "book board"/"binder's board" like this:

http://www.hollanders.com/supplies/B...0-fbe566c65c6f
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #13
CraftingGrandma
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
IMHO, one of the primary purposes of a cover is to protect the screen from impacts-- so a fabric-only cover would be of little value. You could consider putting something inside the front cover-- such as a rectangle of heavy "book board"/"binder's board" like this:

http://www.hollanders.com/supplies/B...0-fbe566c65c6f
That's a good idea, it would solve the problem of my hands not being able to open the hard case and give me added protection, I'll add one of those when I make it.

It still leaves the question as what to line it with as the board would need to be covered by cloth. I don't know about fabrics scratching the screen, but I know anything made by a tree will. I know it will be hard and still, but just in case it does cave in and touches the screen I want it to be covered. I like to plan for the just in case moments.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #14
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftingGrandma View Post
It still leaves the question as what to line it with as the board would need to be covered by cloth.
The screen on the x50 readers is recessed quite a bit in the case thanks to the IR sensors-- you'd need quite a bit of bending on a rigid cover to make it touch the screen.

I made several covers for my 300 before I settled on a design I liked. All of them had at their core old bookcovers-- I looked at a local Goodwill store for hardback books with about the right thickness (length and width aren't as critical, because the boards can be trimmed) and removed the pages from the books. I then tried a couple of methods of covering them with fabric with glue, which didn't work well, and I ended up hand stitching two sheets of fabric (a faux leather) along all sides of the cover. The reader was held to the cover with velcro. I haven't made a cover for my 350 yet, but I saved a ragged old leather jacket that would otherwise be thrown away to use on the reader when I get around to making the cover.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:27 AM   #15
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Alcantara can normally be washed - I'm not sure why you'd want to clean it. It's also durable and soft. To be quite honest I think you'd be able to use most fabrics except perhaps really rough hemp or the like, or with metallic prints. What about cotton flannel?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote