Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
MusingCoyote
MusingCoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
That's freaking durable

Apparently, a nook in a case can survive a fall from the top of a car,at 45 mph.

You see, I, in all my spazziness and brainlessness, spaced at a crucial moment when getting ready to take off to pick up my brother from school, and not only did I place my Nook on top of my car while I did the whole run-and-dive routine to close the garage(bad Coyote!), I completely forgot I hadn't tossed it into it's usual place on my passenger seat until I was already on the highway. By then, it was too late to turn back and go looking, so I frantically call my dad, who thankfully wasn't far from the house himself, and asked him to go looking(perhaps...demanded?)

Thankfully, he found it, and not only had it not been picked up and carried off (I've got my eyes on you, evil little middle school kids.), it hadn't yet been run over(apparently, it slid into a turn lane about a 1/2 mile from my house) and aside from a few scrapes and some torn fabric on the case, it it was perfectly fine. it turned on, there was no cracks on the screen, and now, when I take it out of the house, it goes inside my jacket.

So, when someone asks you if the nook is durable, tell them it can withstand being dropped from a car at 45mph
only, lets not recommend they try it, shall we?
MusingCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Credit the case, not the nook, especially if it's the B&W one. The e-ink screeens are very, very fragile. A good case is the best investment you can make.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 04:36 AM   #3
conundrum
Enthusiast
conundrum began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
yeah, i'll second that.
My '600 survived a fall from 4 feet onto concrete after i said to me gf "whatever you do, don't drop it!" ... Guess what happened.

New touchscreen, and all is well.

Unlike my poor demised '505, which broke due to a combination of a one off drop onto a wooden floor and battery replacement due to poor design.

-A
conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
That's a serious cold sweat moment when you realize you left something on the roof of the car, and you're already on the highway.

I was putting mine inside my jacket for a while, until I dropped something (else), bent over to pick it up, and the NC flipped out onto the ground.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by conundrum View Post
yeah, i'll second that.
My '600 survived a fall from 4 feet onto concrete after i said to me gf "whatever you do, don't drop it!" ... Guess what happened.

New touchscreen, and all is well.

Unlike my poor demised '505, which broke due to a combination of a one off drop onto a wooden floor and battery replacement due to poor design.

-A
My 505's survived many a 4' or so fall to wooden floors... worst thing that happens is that the SD card pops out... (and the plastic endcap's slightly dented...)
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
questionfear
Connoisseur
questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Wow! What case did you use?
questionfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
MusingCoyote
MusingCoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
It's a color, guys ^^; not the e-ink classic. I used to have a sony 505, and I've no doubt that that thing would've been toast in similar conditions, case or no case

I'm not sure on the case. I got both nook and case for christmas, and all I know is that it's one of the black fabric-covered ones.
MusingCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusingCoyote View Post
Apparently, a nook in a case can survive a fall from the top of a car,at 45 mph.

You see, I, in all my spazziness and brainlessness, spaced at a crucial moment when getting ready to take off to pick up my brother from school, and not only did I place my Nook on top of my car while I did the whole run-and-dive routine to close the garage(bad Coyote!), I completely forgot I hadn't tossed it into it's usual place on my passenger seat until I was already on the highway. By then, it was too late to turn back and go looking, so I frantically call my dad, who thankfully wasn't far from the house himself, and asked him to go looking(perhaps...demanded?)

Thankfully, he found it, and not only had it not been picked up and carried off (I've got my eyes on you, evil little middle school kids.), it hadn't yet been run over(apparently, it slid into a turn lane about a 1/2 mile from my house) and aside from a few scrapes and some torn fabric on the case, it it was perfectly fine. it turned on, there was no cracks on the screen, and now, when I take it out of the house, it goes inside my jacket.

So, when someone asks you if the nook is durable, tell them it can withstand being dropped from a car at 45mph
only, lets not recommend they try it, shall we?
Been there, done that almost. With me it was the original Sony on the hood of the car at 25 MPH. I actually got the pleasure of seeing it fly off over the windshield. Had a torn dent on the corner but still worked.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote