Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #31
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
This is the lazy way, but Kobo has a list with recommended teen reads.
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:49 AM   #32
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
You might check out this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...92#post1260792
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #33
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekette70 View Post
His main interest lies in stories set in today's era or slightly ahead, but not distant science fiction. So that rules out historical fiction. And Shakespere? He can't wrap his head around the language (I'll admit that while I enjoy Shakespear in a class enviroment or in theater, but not reading for fun.)
Given this, I'm going to definitely recommend Feed by Mira Grant that I mentioned in my first post. The only potential down-side I see is that the protagonist is female, but she also has a brother who plays a prominent role.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:52 AM   #34
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi Geekette70, et al,

I'm probably showing my age, but as a teenage reader I was very fond of Desmond Bagley's works (High Citadel and The Golden Keel were higlights). so too, Alistair McLean (Night Without End was one I read twice).

A more modern author would be Matthew Reilly, particularly Ice Station.

Larry Niven's works may also prove attractive.

Around that age I did read some Jules Verne. T. H. White's The Once and Future King was hard for me to put down, despite being a book I had to read for high school!

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #35
mscott9985
Member Retired
mscott9985 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
My sixteen-year-old son loves Robin Hobb's books. But he finds Stephen King boring (can you believe that?? lol) He also likes The Restaurant at the End of the Universe and all of those books in the series.

There's one strange one that I never thought he'd like - Speak by Laurie Anderson. But he loved that book. Go figure...
mscott9985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #36
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Heres a few I remember reading when I was fifteen:
A Walk Acroos America- Peter Jenkins

Clockwork Orange- Anthony Burgess

A Wrinkle in Time- Madeleine Lengle

Fahrenheit 451- Ray Bradbury

I think the easiest way to get a 15 year old male to enjoy reading would be leaving a copy of Fight Club laying around. I wasnt 17 till I got my hands on that but, it is literally perfect for teenage boys...... mothers be damned.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #37
mscott9985
Member Retired
mscott9985 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
I think the easiest way to get a 15 year old male to enjoy reading would be leaving a copy of Fight Club laying around.
Absolutely!! I can't tell you how many male students I have who love that book. I've never read it, but I've seen the movie, and have enjoyed it immensely.
mscott9985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #38
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Most of the time I say "The book was better" so I look smarter than my friends, but as much as I enjoyed the book the movie was just as awesome. Different but equal.

Just remembered this,
My Side of the Mountain Trilogy (My Side of the Mountain / On the Far Side of the Mountain / Frightful's Mountain)

Most of the books I read when I was younger had to do with running away...........

Last edited by BenBanned; 12-16-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #39
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBanned View Post
I think the easiest way to get a 15 year old male to enjoy reading would be leaving a copy of Fight Club laying around. I wasnt 17 till I got my hands on that but, it is literally perfect for teenage boys...... mothers be damned.
I have to say that I can't think of anything that sounds less appealing. And that is exactly what I think about my sons' video games so they may very well like this book.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #40
Tasha-Lee
Tasha-Lee began at the beginning.

Any novels by scott monk seem to be good Such as raw, the never boys, boys 'r' s etc.
And tag by michael coleman
Tasha-Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #41
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
My nephew likes the same books as your son and I bought him the Maze Runner by James Dashner, it is a hit! There is a sequel The Scorch Trials, and the final book will be out next year. Great series. If he likes that he would also probably love the Hunger Games, although it is written from the main females protagonists POV, there isn't really much if any romance in it.

The book Never After is pretty popular for boys that age as well. It is a modern take on the Peter Pan tale, but twisted.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #42
BenBanned
Groupie

The Thief Lord
Another runaway fantasy book

Eragon
Not the greatest attempt at literature, but give the kid a break he was like 16 when he wrote it. Nevertheless, he got older and the books got worse, or maybe it just wasnt cute anymore. Anyway stick to the first one.

Marine Sniper:
A true story about Carlos Hathcock, one bad mo'fo and Charles Henderson perfectly paints the picture.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #43
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
The book Never After is pretty popular for boys that age as well. It is a modern take on the Peter Pan tale, but twisted.
Do you know the author on this one? It sounds interesting. There are several "Never After" books, and I couldn't pin down which one you were referring to.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #44
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Do you know the author on this one? It sounds interesting. There are several "Never After" books, and I couldn't pin down which one you were referring to.
This one sounds like the one.

http://www.amazon.com/Never-After-eb...3044741&sr=1-3
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #45
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Yes it is. Thank you wvcherrybomb!

I am going by memory, so unless it is one of my favourites, I sometimes forget the title or author.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, boys, teens, vampires