Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
GCS2000
GCS2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
New guy with newbie questions ... looking for ebooks

Evening everyone. I have lurking here for some time now and registered to ask for some assistance.

I recently picked up a used Sony 500 for my daughter who is a major book reader. We went this route over kindle, nook etc to keep the cost down to see how it would go.

We are giving it to her for christmas and want to put some of the books on it that she likes.

I have searched the sony ebook store with no luck but have seen them on other sites like B&N (yes I have researched and found that won't work on the Sony).

Anyway can someone assist me with getting books from the following areas?

Vet Volunteers Series (Laurie Anderson)
Choose Your Own Adventure Series
Puppy Place Series
Lemony Snickett Series (I know there are several of these on the Sony store)
High School Musical Series -- probably unavailable since it's Disney

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Greg
GCS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Here are a few sites that will search various ebook stores and come back with prices and formats of ebooks

Inkmesh

Addall Ebooks

Ebookprice Info

A question come to mind since you mention that you purchased the 500.

The Sony ebook store is moving from the BBeB format which can be read on the 500 to the Epub format which cannot be read on the 500, unless the unit has been sent to Sony to have a firmware update. Do you know the history of this 500 and whether a firmware update has been recently done?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 09:48 PM   #3
GCS2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Here are a few sites that will search various ebook stores and come back with prices and formats of ebooks

Inkmesh

Addall Ebooks

Ebookprice Info

A question come to mind since you mention that you purchased the 500.

The Sony ebook store is moving from the BBeB format which can be read on the 500 to the Epub format which cannot be read on the 500, unless the unit has been sent to Sony to have a firmware update. Do you know the history of this 500 and whether a firmware update has been recently done?

Already sent to Sony and received it back so I should be all set with the Sony store.

Greg
Old 12-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Then any store that carries pdf and epub should be good for you as well.

Also, check your local library for their ebook selection.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:29 AM   #5
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Wow thats a cool idea for a Christmas gift. I'm sure she'll enjoy it.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
GCS2000

We hope so.

Trying to get the silly reader to authorize now and no matter what we can't get it to do so in order to add books to it. Very annoying.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard

Are you authorizing it to the Sony software or Adobe Digital Editions?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
GCS2000

sony software. I bought 2 books last night and have been battling this thing since then.

Every time I try to authorize it I just get the Oops screen.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
grooks
Wizard

I would say to uninstall the software then try to install again.

Are you by chance running either Windows 7 or Snow Lepord for Mac?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
GCS2000

Yep Sony chat support suggested that as well.

Tried 2 times now with no luck.

Running Windows XP Pro

I get the Oops right after I type in my user and password.

Greg
Old 12-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #11
GCS2000

Ok so after the sony store updated itself and I downloaded the new version of the software I seem to be working albeit still some issues. When I sync up I get an error that says they cannot be transferred but when I look at the reader library they are there.

Strange.

Still hoping to find some other titles to put on the reader for her but so far no luck with the ones I need. If I had a kindle I would be all set, LOL.

Greg
Old 12-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Have you looked at booksonboard? I do alot of my shopping there.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Then any store that carries pdf and epub should be good for you as well.

Also, check your local library for their ebook selection.
Ignore the PDF part. Stay far away from PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote