Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #496
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith View Post
... this seems to imply that ....

Perhaps he's more agnostic than atheistic, or he may simply be willing to admit to the theoretical possibility of scenarios that he believes to be not the case.

I'm working solely from the attributed, paraphrased comment, you understand, I don't mean to imply that I know what he might have been thinking.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #497
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
In the following interview, Dawkins categorically admits that no one knows how life began, including evolutionary biologists. He has absolutely no answers when it comes to a First Cause of life.
It shows, I think, that most of the vitriol he spews has much more to do with his own anti-religious bias and opinion rather than actual research and application of the scientific method.
He goes on to say that life on Earth could have begun by the seeding of a "higher intelligence" or "intelligent design". Noting the fact Dawkins does not believe in God, this seems to imply that he may believe in aliens and/or spacemen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlZtEjtlirc
A statement about the remote past cannot be 100% verified. (We can't go back in time to confirm the hypothesis.) However, some hypotheses can be shown to be better founded than others. Dawkins's caution is entirely consistent with scientific method and shows (to my mind) a refreshing humility and intellectual honesty. No one on Earth does know how life began.

Incidentally, the Panspermia hypothesis has been held by quite repectable scientists (e.g. Chandra Wickramasinghe - see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandra_Wickramasinghe)
and doesn't actually imply anything much as regards the origin of life as a whole. If life on Earth actually developed as a result of organic matter brought in from meterorites then it just pushes the question of the ultimate origins back a step or two.
Advert
Old 02-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #498
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Some people have anti-religious biases because of the bias directed toward them by religious people!
True -- and even the perception of a bias can be sufficient to seed such a counter-bias as the sort your referring to.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #499
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
He goes on to say that life on Earth could have begun by the seeding of a "higher intelligence" or "intelligent design". Noting the fact Dawkins does not believe in God, this seems to imply that he may believe in aliens and/or spacemen.

When a scientist do not know how something works he says so. But not knowing how something work does not imply that it works in a specific way (God).

Saying that something could be true does not imply that you think it is true.

The moon could be a telepathic green cheese (telepathic so it can implant observations in us humans). Would you claim that I believe that the moon is a green cheese just because I think it could be?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #500
Ak Mike
Enthusiast
Ak Mike doesn't litterAk Mike doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX; Motorola Xoom
tompe - with respect, I still think you do not quite understand what msmith was saying about charitable giving. If you were looking to government foreign aid plus private giving to foreign causes, that ignores most private charity, which is given to unfortunates closer to home.

I don't think that government aid reflects individual virtue. Charitable donors are taking their own money, that could be spent on themselves, and giving it to others. Foreign aid is merely an allocation of tax revenues as to which the individuals in the donor country have no discretion to pay or not pay.

Anyway, I am skeptical about the "goodness" of much foreign aid, as I hinted in my prior comment. It is fairly common for such aid to actually be tied to using donor-country businesses, so it is really a form of taxpayer support of domestic business. Also, most foreign aid goes to poor country governments, and vanishes into corruption and incompetence (after all, one of the main reasons poor countries are poor is that their governments are corrupt and incompetent).

According to the Index of Global Philanthropy published by the Hudson Institute, U.S. private donations just to the developing world are far in excess of government expenditures, amounting in 2006 to about $34 billion. Sweden, for example, which did have a very large government foreign aid program, had about zero private donations (Norway, on the other hand, does have a lot of private donation). The two top countries in private donations to developing countries, per unit of gross national income, were the United States (by a long way) and Ireland.
Advert
Old 02-04-2009, 06:48 PM   #501
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Mike View Post
tompe - with respect, I still think you do not quite understand what msmith was saying about charitable giving. If you were looking to government foreign aid plus private giving to foreign causes, that ignores most private charity, which is given to unfortunates closer to home.

I don't think that government aid reflects individual virtue. Charitable donors are taking their own money, that could be spent on themselves, and giving it to others. Foreign aid is merely an allocation of tax revenues as to which the individuals in the donor country have no discretion to pay or not pay.
And the voters have decide how much tax to pay and how much to give in foreign aid.

I am pretty sure that donations in the US does not reflect individual virtue. I think they are done for mostly egoistical reasons.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #502
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Heh, I've had a few glasses of biodynamic wine, so my senses might be a little dull, but this is kind of like saying, "If the fat stupid bible-thumping rednecks, have seen what I've seen, and have learned what I've learned, then they might have something to say on the subject." [/QUOTE]

Touche How did you know I am a fat stupid bible-thumping redneck?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #503
Ak Mike
Enthusiast
Ak Mike doesn't litterAk Mike doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX; Motorola Xoom
tompe - you are still ignoring my first point, which is that most charity is domestic and not reflected in foreign giving numbers.

Your tax rates are unlikely to change based on how much foreign aid the government gives - it would just reallocate. So I do not think anybody really gives up anything by have the government give foreign aid. By contrast money you give to charity is money that you personally cannot spend or save.

Your claim about charitable giving being an example of egoism rather than virtue is a splendid example of advanced philosophical thinking. I assume that you also think that heroism in battle is just showing off, that diligence in study and work is just lack of imagination, that caring for your family is a form of racism, and so forth.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #504
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
A statement about the remote past cannot be 100% verified. (We can't go back in time to confirm the hypothesis.) However, some hypotheses can be shown to be better founded than others. Dawkins's caution is entirely consistent with scientific method and shows (to my mind) a refreshing humility and intellectual honesty. No one on Earth does know how life began....

Hear, hear.

We have, however, taken another step toward better understanding of the process, by successfully creating synthetic self-replicating RNA: http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2...catingrna.html

Oh, and also, deep down, we are all sponges
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/0...sils-life.html

Even if some Bronze Age herders believed we were fashioned out of dirt, or a blood clot.

Last edited by Sonist; 02-04-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #505
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I am pretty sure that donations in the US does not reflect individual virtue. I think they are done for mostly egoistical reasons.
Obviously I can't speak for anyone else, as I neither have nor claim any power to peer inside other people's hearts to weigh their motives and thoughts. Further, I admit to being uncertain as to what, precisely, you might consider to be an "egoistical reason" for donating to charity.

Within those, merely human, limitations, I can only say that the charitable donations I, personally, make are based primarily on two things: a desire to help others who are less fortunate than I, and an acceptance of a responsibility to use the resources in my keeping in the service the God that I believe in.

Please note that nothing in any of that requires or expects anyone else to believe as I do. Nor, unlike taxation based "giving," does it require anyone else to contribute to the causes I find worthy of my support.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:11 AM   #506
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I doubt it is "I'm educated, so I don't believe in God." But I'd have to see those studies in more detail. The general tone of that website would make me suspicious towards its use in any real way.
The assertion that well-educated people are less prone to superstitious beliefs seems a reasonable one to me. Education teaches people to seek rational explanations for the world around them, rather than believe in "invisible supernatural beings".
Old 02-05-2009, 04:06 AM   #507
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
An interview edited by and with a voice over by creationists.

See http://richarddawkins.net/article,23...ichard-Dawkins for Richard Dawkins' comments on it.

Quote:
In the following interview, Dawkins categorically admits that no one knows how life began, including evolutionary biologists. He has absolutely no answers when it comes to a First Cause of life.

It shows, I think, that most of the vitriol he spews has much more to do with his own anti-religious bias and opinion rather than actual research and application of the scientific method.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:34 AM   #508
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The assertion that well-educated people are less prone to superstitious beliefs seems a reasonable one to me. Education teaches people to seek rational explanations for the world around them, rather than believe in "invisible supernatural beings".
It could also be related to affluence. A large part of the world's population live in grinding poverty, with very little hope of improving their living standards.

For them, religion can be a genuine source of hope.

As an atheist, living a very privileged life in comparison (merely through an accident of birth), it seems to me a bit heartless to deny them even that consolation. Time enough to lecture them on their 'delusions' when they have something meaningful to replace them with.

(I imagine this will generate the 'but religion makes thing worse' comeback - but I am powerless to prevent that. )

Last edited by Sparrow; 02-05-2009 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:40 AM   #509
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
It could also be related to affluence. A large part of the world's population live in grinding poverty, with very little hope of improving their living standards.
Generally speaking, however, people who live in grinding poverty are poorly educated, so the correlation between education and religious belief does, I think, still hold true.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:43 AM   #510
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

For them, religion can be a genuine source of hope.
Which is why Marx called religion
"The cry of the heart in a heartless world, the opium of the masses."
Closed Thread