Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #61
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyG View Post
I'll admit, I don't have a lot of patience; [...]
But clearly, enough of it to write your own program rather than learn how to use other peoples' programs.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #62
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Touch, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
But clearly, enough of it to write your own program rather than learn how to use other peoples' programs.
I've looked high and low trying to find a program that works like Sigil, and have failed. Why bother to learn some program I don't like? I have learned how to use Sigil, I just haven't learned precisely what causes it to destroy hours of work.
JimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #63
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've looked high and low trying to find a program that works like Sigil, and have failed. Why bother to learn some program I don't like? I have learned how to use Sigil, I just haven't learned precisely what causes it to destroy hours of work.
Huh? I thought we had established that calibre works more or less like Sigil -- minus the WYSIWYG which you don't use, and clips, which is indeed a lack -- and that Sigil works just fine also, assuming you don't open Book View, both programs work just fine if you spend some time learning how to use it, rather than spending even more time writing your own ebook editor.

And if there is something missing, you can always build on either project and write patches to add in the functionality you need, which I should think would also be less work than writing your own project, plus you can earn peoples' undying thanks.

Whatever. I just wanted to point out that a lack of patience does not suitably explain "Why bother to learn some program I don't like, when I can just write my own program from scratch" (!!!) absent some form of bias. Which is fine, I just think you are living in denial about something.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:49 PM   #64
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Please this is not a calibre vs sigil thread!! I like both and have contributed code to both. I agree with JimmyG that an editing program that loses text should count as a bug. If I can ever figure out a way to recreate it and track it down, I will fix it. I have to go to extremes to get Sigil to lose text and it only ever lost the single bit of text with the double errors and kept everything else. But if he feels more at home with his own editor code, more power to him for writing something he needed. Again, I have no trouble with that. I just don't want this thread to devolve any further. It is supposed to be about a bug in Sigil. So can we please keep things on topic and move any discussions of calibre to the calibre forums.

Thanks,

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:39 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
JimmyG can you try to recreate the problem you had where you lost text in Sigil? if so, document he exact steps you did to get this to happen and post the relevant file(s). If they aren't for public consumptions, PM KevinH to ask how to get him your file(s).

Since KevenH as offered to fix the problem, if you can help him recreate what you did, then maybe he can fix it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #66
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Please this is not a calibre vs sigil thread!! I like both and have contributed code to both. I agree with JimmyG that an editing program that loses text should count as a bug. If I can ever figure out a way to recreate it and track it down, I will fix it. I have to go to extremes to get Sigil to lose text and it only ever lost the single bit of text with the double errors and kept everything else. But if he feels more at home with his own editor code, more power to him for writing something he needed. Again, I have no trouble with that. I just don't want this thread to devolve any further. It is supposed to be about a bug in Sigil. So can we please keep things on topic and move any discussions of calibre to the calibre forums.

KevinH
Thanks.

I took a look at my program, and it's going to take a lot more work than I thought and I wasn't in the mood, so I started my next project with Sigil. I'm going to stay away from Book View, per everyone's suggestions, and see how it goes. I've got 95% of the writing done (with p tags only) so it's mainly copying, pasting, formatting, & proofing. (And checking every now and then to see if my files are complete.) If I run into any problems, I'll let you know, but here's hoping....

Last edited by JimmyG; 10-01-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #67
JimmyG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
JimmyG can you try to recreate the problem you had where you lost text in Sigil? if so, document he exact steps you did to get this to happen and post the relevant file(s). If they aren't for public consumptions, PM KevinH to ask how to get him your file(s).

Since KevenH as offered to fix the problem, if you can help him recreate what you did, then maybe he can fix it.
That's the problem. I've never had it happen right in front of me. It's only when, usually by accident, I discover the end of the file missing that I know it's happened. The best I can give is what I've given, guesses.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #68
JimmyG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Seems like to you are doing conversion too early. These kinds of things are more easily fixed in a word processor, then when happy with all that then convert and fix the epub bugs.

If you have Word, you can use Toxaris add in to create an epub. Atlantis word processor takes in Word and other files and publishes epubs.

Seems like that might be less work to approach it that way. Sigil was never designed to be the original source of text, though it does remarkably well.
I haven't used a word processor since my first computer. I have a friend on tumblr who writes and had a problem. I said, heck I know exactly how to fix that. But he uses Word, so I was speaking Greek to him, and he was speaking Persian to me. Couldn't help him.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #69
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I haven't used a word processor since my first computer. I have a friend on tumblr who writes and had a problem. I said, heck I know exactly how to fix that. But he uses Word, so I was speaking Greek to him, and he was speaking Persian to me. Couldn't help him.
Well, then, it seems that your current process is what you have. Fix it with your own writing method--whatever that is--and your custom-built program, and don't import into Sigil (for whatever purpose) until the very last step. Truly, given your impatience, refusals, dismissal of programs, etc., I fail utterly to see what anyone here can suggest that would be of use. You're smart enough to have written your own program, so obviously, you have your own decision-tree and method of working. Just don't work in BOOK VIEW, (which the rest of us think of as a "word-processing view") and you should be fine.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #70
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

When you use Book View, you use a word processor, so... it's been what, a whole week or two since you used a word processor???
Old 10-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #71
JimmyG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, then, it seems that your current process is what you have. Fix it with your own writing method--whatever that is--and your custom-built program, and don't import into Sigil (for whatever purpose) until the very last step. Truly, given your impatience, refusals, dismissal of programs, etc., I fail utterly to see what anyone here can suggest that would be of use. You're smart enough to have written your own program, so obviously, you have your own decision-tree and method of working. Just don't work in BOOK VIEW, (which the rest of us think of as a "word-processing view") and you should be fine.

Hitch
Well, I started this thread just to let the people who are now working on the program know that a bug that I reported on 6.9 (back when Sigil had a bug-reporting system) still existed. Back then other people reported having the same problem, and, like me, only discovering it by accident.

I wasn't really looking for suggestions. I probably should have ignored posts that weren't on point. But any excuse for not working is a good excuse.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #72
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I find that hard to believe, as a large portion of this thread was devoted to "well, why were you using Book View" and you seemed to feel that all error checking should be removed altogether...