Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #31
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Touch, Voyage
CTRL. does no error checking...

Given this:
< class="nib">Now is the time blah, blah

CTRL. produced this:
< class="nib">Now is the time blah, blah</ class="nib">

lol.
JimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:22 PM   #32
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,
Again, error checking is needed to load it into the QWebView widget to allow wysiwyg editing. Even preview needs valid code or close to it to show you the page in any sane way.

So there is no way to turn off all fixing while at the same time allowing the user to make changes in BookView. Bad code will simply not load into that Qt widget. Any any changes in BookView needs to be valid as well.

The best we can offer is a checker to alert you to errors you can try to fix yourself, or an auto fix system that loses no text when the user decides not to fix it themselves or can't.

Hope this explains things,

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #33
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyG View Post
... but I may give it a shot. The [calibre book] editor looks a lot different...
@JimmyG - If you do, you might want to go to Edit->Preferences->Editor Settings and uncheck Beautify individual files automatically...

And just in case, in E->P->Integration with calibre you might want to turn off Update metadata embedded...

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:38 PM   #34
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Went and took another look and saw this "...includes a comprehensive checking tool that can find many of the most common errors in book structure and formatting and even fix some of them automatically."

That bothers me, but I may give it a shot. The editor looks a lot different from the last time I looked at it.
That is because Check Book has an OPTIONAL button (clickable text) to "Try to fix this error automatically".

calibre never changes your book automatically without user input, it always waits for you to tell it to.

Aside from the default enabled option to beautify on open. And default enabled updating the OPF if the book is in (or just opened from?) your calibre library. Both can be turned off, the first one definitely should.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-20-2014 at 11:40 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:31 AM   #35
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Just to point this, because I noticed it in the OP remarks more than once.

Code:
<pclass="bot"
should not it be?
Code:
<p class="bot"
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2014, 05:10 AM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post

Code:
<pclass="bot"
should not it be?
Code:
<p class="bot"
Yes, of course, and that's the topic of discussion; it seems--SEEMS--that Sigil, for some reason, ate his file for that small error in coding. At least, from that line of bad code to the end of the </body> tag. At least, that's what I think is being discussed here, although Kevin has only been able to reproduce the error by omitting the closing bracket for the opening tag altogether. I'm sure that Kevin will jump in here if I'm mistaken about the gist. ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #37
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Even with clean source turned off there are times when it will still be run. There are many different places that the source needs to be parsed and then written back own. Without knowing exactly what operations are being performed it's not really possible to know why the markup is missing.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #38
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Quote:
Does Tidy come into play, even tho I have it turned off?

Your example does not show the problem I have found. Every file I have ever lost, in 7.4 and 7.7 does the same thing. From some apparently arbitrary point (perhaps a mistake?) in the file, it removes everything from that point up to </body> and rewrites the ending to </body></html> without the line break.
The only places in the code where a closing body and closing html tag are appended without a newline in betwwen that I could actually find via a code search (and I easily may have missed some) is in the code that handles splitting of code into two different html files. Were you by any chance using that split feature?

Kevin
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #39
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post

Code:
<pclass="bot"
should not it be?
Code:
<p class="bot"
Yes, that was an intentional error illustrating a point.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #40
JimmyG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,

The only places in the code where a closing body and closing html tag are appended without a newline in betwwen that I could actually find via a code search (and I easily may have missed some) is in the code that handles splitting of code into two different html files. Were you by any chance using that split feature?

Kevin
Nope.

So far I haven't had any more problems. I no longer use book view, using preview instead. Add new file, link style sheet, complete file, make sure it's error free, save. So far, so good.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #41
JimmyG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That is because Check Book has an OPTIONAL button (clickable text) to "Try to fix this error automatically".

calibre never changes your book automatically without user input, it always waits for you to tell it to.

Aside from the default enabled option to beautify on open. And default enabled updating the OPF if the book is in (or just opened from?) your calibre library. Both can be turned off, the first one definitely should.
Okay, I gave it a shot. Downloaded it, copied the book I'm working on in Sigil over to it, and opened it for editing. Added two new files, okey and dokey. Linked the style sheet, oops, wrong. the url it used for the style sheet was "../OEBPS/Styles/Style0001.css" which the validator rightly said "refers to a resource that doesn't exist." Should be "../Styles/Style0001.css" or "../../OEBPS/Styles/Style0001.css" When I created the new files, I entered "Text/okey.xhtml" and "Text/dokey.xhtml". Blooy. It entered the file in content.opf as okey.xhtml and dokey.xhtml, but saved the files as okey.html and dokey.html. Forget about validation. I quit.

And a couple of nits. I'm old and my eyesight ain't that great. Black text on a blue background with no syntax highlighting, too difficult for me. Can you do search and replace in selection? No. You have to first select it, mark it, then search and replace in marked text. The only way to get rid of marked text is to mark something else. And, it doesn't have clips, which I use a lot.

I said I'd give it a shot, and I did, but no sale.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #42
JimmyG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Even with clean source turned off there are times when it will still be run. There are many different places that the source needs to be parsed and then written back own. Without knowing exactly what operations are being performed it's not really possible to know why the markup is missing.
I know, but I've never had it happen right in front of me. I'm pretty sure it happened once during a save, but when I tried on the test file, nada.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #43
JimmyG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@JimmyG - If you do, you might want to go to Edit->Preferences->Editor Settings and uncheck Beautify individual files automatically...

And just in case, in E->P->Integration with calibre you might want to turn off Update metadata embedded...

BR
Yes, indeedy.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #44
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Okay, I gave it a shot. Downloaded it, copied the book I'm working on in Sigil over to it, and opened it for editing. Added two new files, okey and dokey. Linked the style sheet, oops, wrong. the url it used for the style sheet was "../OEBPS/Styles/Style0001.css" which the validator rightly said "refers to a resource that doesn't exist." Should be "../Styles/Style0001.css" or "../../OEBPS/Styles/Style0001.css" When I created the new files, I entered "Text/okey.xhtml" and "Text/dokey.xhtml". Blooy. It entered the file in content.opf as okey.xhtml and dokey.xhtml, but saved the files as okey.html and dokey.html. Forget about validation. I quit.
That doesn't sound even remotely right. I certainly have never had this problem, and would love to hear how you got it.

It would imply that the fundamental feature of the editor is so broken as to make the entire editor completely and utterly worthless. Can't imagine how that would've slipped by all our notices.

Quote:
And a couple of nits. I'm old and my eyesight ain't that great. Black text on a blue background with no syntax highlighting, too difficult for me.
My background is white, I think that is the default. In any event, you could go to Preferences ==> Editor settings and choose several different color schemes, or even write your own.

Quote:
Can you do search and replace in selection? No. You have to first select it, mark it, then search and replace in marked text. The only way to get rid of marked text is to mark something else.
I cannot say I use marked text a lot at all, but looking in Sigil, I see marking text will automatically switch the S&R mode to "Marked text". And calibre does the same.

You do not need to mark more text, in order to remove the old mark. Simply select nothing and re-mark it. It will unmark the text currently marked. That I think is a bug:

Sigil automatically senses when text has been marked and no other text has been highlighted, and changes the label to "Unmark Marked Text". calibre should also have an indicator that it is doing that. In the meantime, you could just pretend that is what the words say, and do it anyway.

EDIT: This has been fixed.

Quote:
And, it doesn't have clips, which I use a lot.

I said I'd give it a shot, and I did, but no sale.
Fair enough. Clips are indeed something calibre noticeably still lacks. There are third-party paste managers that could duplicate the effects if you really want to use calibre but also need clips.

But if Sigil works for you and you need clips then by all means stick with Sigil.

It is your choice, and both are valid choices. Just don't say:
calibre is doing something it isn't in fact doing
or isn't doing something that it is in fact doing.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-22-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:01 AM   #45
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

The editor now dynamically changes its text in the context menu. https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...c31a902cf75c8c

Tested while running from source, this will be in the next calibre release.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unmark_text.png
Views:	188
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	128666