Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #1
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Cybook sometimes unresponsive to turning pages - is that normal?

My nearly first time posting, but didn't want to waste a topic in Introductions forum, so hi

I read a book on Cybook. No light on the unit is lit. I press left(or right) on the multi-function button to turn the page. The light lights up - in green. I wait 5 seconds. The light goes off. No page is turned.

This scenario happens often enough for me to wonder - is this a bug with Cybook in general? With my unit only? I sometimes have to press the button two or three times for it to turn the page. I can't say I didn't press it hard enough, because the unit did react. It just did not turn the page.

The same thing happens when I read manga and press the same buttons to go to next/previous page.

This can have an impact on the speed of page turning mentioned in the other topis, as 1.5s + 5s + 5s and 3 button presses is not just 1.5s. Personally I find it very annoying.

I can hypothesize that the unit is sleeping, and I press the button for long enough for it to recognize that it needs to wake up, but I let go before it's awake, so it doesn't have any idea what woke it and goes back to sleep. But if that's the case, the fact is that the button should be pressed twice (second time when the light's on already), or pressed long enough for the unit to register what it should be doing. I read on Cybook for 3 weeks, but I haven't mastered that technique yet.

What are your experiences?
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I have noticed this behavior on my CyBook, but only very seldom so far.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I cannot for sure say it have happened. If it has happened it is just once or twice in a couple of weeks.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It does seem to very occasionally miss page-turn clicks, yes, I've found the same. Doesn't happen often enough for it to be a problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Yep. This has been happening to me, on widely-spaced occasions, since I first got my engineering sample way back when... As this has happened in firmware versions 0.91 - 1.0, I figure it's because I didn't press just right on the button - although I must say that this also happens on those times when I've pressed the navigation buttons too rapidly. As nothing else happens, such as the ebook shutting down or the Cybook powering off, etc., I ignore the occasional page-turn bobble. Also, I've managed to get similar results on my older Sony PRS-500.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #6
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I guess I've been lucky this hasn't happened to me yet but I've almost exclusively been reading mobi format books. Is it possible that it's a problem that only shows up in PDF or have you seen it when reading all formats?

I know when I read PDF on my computer I sometimes have to hit PgDn twice and I'm wondering if it's something similar.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm reading Mobi. It's probably no more than not pressing the page turn button firmly enough.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
tobyb
tobyb began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
i've also experienced the Cybook failing to turn pages. doesn't happen very often, and I'm never quite sure if it's just that i needed to press the button more firmly. Certainly the directional buttons could be easier to press. Not annoying enough yet to complain, probably happens once every 100 page turns?
tobyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
It happens to me every 2-3 page turns. I use pen for pressing the button now, since it's hard on my fingernails to press as hard as I do to turn the pages.

I guess the buttons aren't designed well enough to make sure they can be pressed with the same force on every device.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:15 PM   #10
azog
Enthusiast
azog began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle
I've had the same thing, but I've always chalked it up to not pressing the button firmly enough. It's a very stiff button to begin with.
azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #11
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Possibly related : when I use Right to turn pages the page turn seems to happen quite a bit faster than when I press Down.
And yes, I often do find that page turns don't occure when I press Down the first time but I do not think it's because of how firm I push the button, often I notice that the green led lights up and the page turn does not happen.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:24 PM   #12
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
If you're pressing the down button to turn the page that might explain it. The down button moves to the next link on the page but if it doesn't find one it will turn the page. It might be finding a link?
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:03 AM   #13
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
If you're pressing the down button to turn the page that might explain it. The down button moves to the next link on the page but if it doesn't find one it will turn the page. It might be finding a link?
I almost exclusively read PDFs on my Cybook so I do not think links have something to do with this behavior.
Anyway, I hope there will soon be a next firmware to fix some of the rough edges that still exist
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #14
Scheinwelt
Scheinwelt began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3/Palm T5
Hello,

just found this forum, when researching the same behaviour on my new Cybook.

I have the same behaviour on my system: press flip keys only short, green light goes on for 1s, goes off again - no page flip.

I agree to the first post, that this might be a problem in the wakeup and detect key process of the Cybook.

When I press the key, hold it until the green light goes on and then release, I never experienced this problem.

Further: it happened with .prc, .txt, .pdf, .htm files and also in the library screen itself, so I'm sure this is some OS problem, not the reader software.
Scheinwelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:23 AM   #15
Schlumpf
Schlumpf began at the beginning.

Device: XDA Neo
Happens to me every 2-3 turnings. (because i often push the button very very carefully)

You can go around it when you press the button a little bit longer - its not really a problem, but its a little bit aggravating. I hope they fix it in the next firmware-release...
Schlumpf is offline   Reply With Quote