Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #886
mibtp
Enthusiast
mibtp began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Cloud
Need Help Using Modify ePub - Already Installed - Remove Embedded Fonts

Hi, I already installed this plugin and restarted calibre. But I cannot find any instructions for actually using/running it.

I need to remove the embedded fonts from the epub as Amazon has contacted me and said my ebook has forced fonts that are causing some issues for readers.

How do I run the plugin and remove the embedded fonts?

Thank you in advance.
mibtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #887
mibtp
Enthusiast

Never mind. I right-clicked on the book, then found the option. But when I ran the "remove embedded fonts" it said no changes were made.
Advert
Old 01-25-2015, 10:49 PM   #888
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibtp View Post
Hi, I already installed this plugin and restarted calibre. But I cannot find any instructions for actually using/running it.

I need to remove the embedded fonts from the epub as Amazon has contacted me and said my ebook has forced fonts that are causing some issues for readers.

How do I run the plugin and remove the embedded fonts?

Thank you in advance.
@mibtp - did you read this ==>> [GUI Plugin] Modify ePub first post and did you click Help in :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	134206

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:40 AM   #889
mibtp
Enthusiast

Yes, that is how I found the plugin, downloaded, installed.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:52 AM   #890
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Have you looked at the EPUB in the editor, I think that will show you what fonts are embedded

Thought: can you confirm that Amazon is complaining about the EPUB file, I'm no expert at Amazon issues - but I always associate them with MOBI and AZW formats.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2015, 10:07 AM   #891
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
books with embedded fonts can be scanned for using the Quality Check PI

(the PI can not tell if the fontfile has been sub-setted)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #892
mibtp
Enthusiast

Yes I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Have you looked at the EPUB in the editor, I think that will show you what fonts are embedded

Thought: can you confirm that Amazon is complaining about the EPUB file, I'm no expert at Amazon issues - but I always associate them with MOBI and AZW formats.

BR
Old 01-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #893
mibtp
Enthusiast

Can you explain what you mean? Instructions?
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
books with embedded fonts can be scanned for using the Quality Check PI

(the PI can not tell if the fontfile has been sub-setted)
Old 01-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #894
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibtp View Post
Can you explain what you mean? Instructions?
Thanks.
You are kidding? Right!
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:49 AM   #895
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Do you really think Amazon contacted you about embedded fonts in an epub?
Or a seedy Amazon software displayed its first available error message?
Francois_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #896
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois_C View Post
Do you really think Amazon contacted you about embedded fonts in an epub?
Or a seedy Amazon software displayed its first available error message?
Considering that, last I heard, Amazon accepts EPUB uploads and converts them to KF8 when selling them, the error message is quite plausible.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #897
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Hi,
I have made some small modifikations to the plugin, mainly to clean some stylings that interfere with the Kobo eReader.
I added three new options under "html&styles":
  1. Remove font-family settings: This removes the "font-family" styling from the epub. Should be used in conjunction with "remove embedded fonts". Added because the kobo reader does not allow changing of fonts, if font-family settings are in the css.
  2. Remove line-height settings: Removes the "line-height" styling. Same behaviour on the kobo as above.
  3. Remove alignment settings: Removes "text-align: left" and "text-align: justify". Center and right are untouched. See above for the reason.

Maybe this is useful for non Kobo users too. I only have basic programming knowledge and that is true for regex too. I think this is robust and should capture all cases, but I'm not 100% sure.

i don't know, if this addition are worthy to be included into the plugin, but since I made this already, I thought I could post it here. I posted an older version in some other post and a few people said I should post it here.

I only altered the "dialogs.py" file to show the options and "modify.py" to include the options there. So only at the beginning where all options are specified and added the new functions after "def _remove_font_family".
Attached Files
File Type: zip Modify ePub.zip (66.9 KB, 183 views)
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #898
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
Remove font-family settings: This removes the "font-family" styling from the epub. Should be used in conjunction with "remove embedded fonts". Added because the kobo reader does not allow changing of fonts, if font-family settings are in the css.
Does this remove font-family: sans-serif, [B]font-family: monospace/B]? Does it remove font-family where there are embedded fonts? Does it warn you to also select to remove embedded fonts? Does it allow just the removal of font-family where the font specified is not embedded and is not sans-serif or monospace?

These are important issues that will need to be resolved (if not already coded for) if this is to be approved in a release version.

Last edited by PeterT; 02-15-2015 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Fixing quote tag
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #899
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
No, it does what it says. It removes all font-family stylings. If you don't want that, don't use it. Just as remove line-height removes all this settings, regardless if it is used in some places for a special effect. Or remove embeded fonts removes all fonts, even if some are needed for special glyphs. I can understand that you want a different behavior, but there are special cases everywhere. I don't see this as a bug or flaw, the setting does exactly what it says to do. Leaving in settings without a specific font should be possible, but I don't needed it, so I made it to match my need. Feel free to implement another option like "remove font-family for embedded fonts only".
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #900
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@dickloraine,

FWIW I think these new options offer a nice simple process for those who want to make sure their Kobo's text customising sliders will work as advertised without needing to take the time and effort to learn and understand html/css. I think there are probably a lot of people who are prepared to trade 'a perfect solution' for an easy life. Fussy css nit-pickers (like myself ) will probably continue to do it the hard way, anyway, with fine surgical changes to individual epubs, no matter how much you're able to refine Modify Epub's bulk options.

So, throw it out there and see what develops. If enough people use these new offerings you may be inundated with endless 'can you just ...' requests .

BTW, if you do ever develop an ME bulk option called 'Make my epub perfect', I'll be happy to beta-test for you
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modify epub