Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-07-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
gtb
gtb began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs500
Question need help with drm pdf for iliad or sony prs

Help! I am reasonably new to this, I just last week joined this group and hacked my sony prs to get the clock and smaller font. I also use an Iliad for work. Today I bought a pdf from ebook.com for work. It apparently is drm. It needs this adobe reader thing and I don't know how to transfer it to my iliad or sony. Can anyone help^ Can I hack the book I bought somehow and turn it into a sony lrf
gtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtb View Post
Today I bought a pdf from ebook.com for work. It apparently is drm. It needs this adobe reader thing and I don't know how to transfer it to my iliad or sony. Can anyone help^ Can I hack the book I bought somehow and turn it into a sony lrf
Based on what I saw on my quick look at ebooks.com, the short answer is:
"You can't"

eBooks.com seems to want to completely control the content. So you probably have a PDF that will only be viewable in Acrobat Reader.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
So you probably have a PDF that will only be viewable in Acrobat Reader.
I believe that this is correct.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:55 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtb View Post
Help! I am reasonably new to this, I just last week joined this group and hacked my sony prs to get the clock and smaller font. I also use an Iliad for work. Today I bought a pdf from ebook.com for work. It apparently is drm. It needs this adobe reader thing and I don't know how to transfer it to my iliad or sony. Can anyone help^ Can I hack the book I bought somehow and turn it into a sony lrf
Should have gone to the Connect store to see if they had the book or bought it in some format where you could have stripped the DRm and then convert. As it is now, all you can do with that PDF is read it on your computer. There is no way to read it on either the Reader or the iLiad. Neither support DRM laden PDF. And frankly, they should not. I just want PDF to go far away. Too many people think PDF is a wonderfl idea for reading books. Well, it's not. It is horrid.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #5
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
DRM pdf is tricky especially if it's the encryption one (there is a milder version that restricts printing, copying of text to clipboard and similar stuff - this one is easily bypassed with Linux tools). Only reliable solution is to snag (copy your pdf screen as image file) and ocr. People reported various hacks by fiddling with a binary editor and changing this or that in the binary file, but nothing consistent...

Regarding pdf as a format, I hate it too for ebooks, though it's quite useful for documents, especially if you have filling rights in the document (presuming you do not have full Acrobat); unfortunately right now it beats all other ebook preferences in downloads, polls, you name it, it by a lot; that tells also something about ebooks and how they are used...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yeah, poorly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:48 PM   #7
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yeah, poorly.
Agreed 100%
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:15 PM   #8
gtb
gtb began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs500
Thanks everyone

You are all correct. The reason I did not go to Connect is that I live in Canada and so they won't let me purchase books. Currently only for those in the US. I got my reader from in New York when I was there. Oh well, I am reading the book in this medium I have not used in years - paper! Ughhhh!!!!

Thanks for all the great feedback.
gtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:11 AM   #9
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
If I don't intend to print it, I don't want PDF. I think it's almost useless as a reading format. 99% of everything I've seen won't fit one page to a screen and stay legible. This is really annoying with multicolumn layouts which require that jog up to get the top of the next column. Hates it we do.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote