Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #16
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Try reading some of the blogs that review romances:

Smart Bitches, Trashy Books
Dear Author
All About Romance
The Season

You can often follow a link from one blog to another.

Smart Bitches can be hilarious. I have to look at it every day.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #17
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
Although not in ebook form (book and audiobook) the Time Traveler's Wife is an excellent guy romance since it has the sci-fi angle.

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Travelers...9375650&sr=1-1
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #18
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I've been reading the Justice saga by Radclyffe, starting from the prequel A Matter Of Trust. While they're outright misandric at times (should I have expected that from lesbian romance novels?), they're quite the page-turners, fun to read and thrilling. They're all available in the site I link from, without DRM.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:42 AM   #19
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera. Also Philip Roth's Sabbath's Theater. They don't really qualify as Romance in the genre sense, since like many masculine writers their accounts of relationships have some similarity to the real world. I kid. Sorta. Edit: Not sure if either of those are in ebook form. It seems they may not be. You'd probably remain a happier person not reading them anyhow.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 03-07-2011 at 01:51 AM.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #20
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
I am curious about Corín Tellado. Has anyone read her? She was very popular and very imitated some decades ago. Actually, she is supposed to be the best-selling author ever in the Spanish language. Apparently, she outsold even Cervantes.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #21
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I liked very much the Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries by C. S. Harris, all by Deanne Raybourne and I guess The Lady Emily Mysteries by Tasha Alexander are something you will enjoy, too.

Some of these books and tons of romance and mystery books you get for free at the Singapore Library. Just give a 6 to 8 digit code and a name and off you go, enjoying nearly 3,000 romance books and as much mystery books!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #22
mandm156
mandm156 began at the beginning.

Janet Evanovich has two series that are awesome for men and women alike........The Stephanie Plum series One for the Money, Two for the Dough..........all the way through 16 now with Stephanie being a female bounty hunter........tons of humor!!! The other is the Motor Mouth series. Happy reading.
mandm156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #23
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
For Regency/Georgian romances, Georgette Heyer is the best.

There is no sex in her books, but frankly, her grasp of language, historical time period, culture and character would make it unnecessary padding. She builds up romantic/sexual tension with words so that by the end of the book a single kiss is more satisfying than 16 pages of explicit sex.

Try "These Old Shades", "Frederica", or "The Grand Sophy".
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #24
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I enjoy these authors, although some of them are hit or miss:

Sherry Thomas, Courtney Milan, Julianne MacLean, Julie Anne Long, Jo Beverley, Julia Quinn, Eloisa James, Mary Balogh, Mary Jo Putney, Liz Carlyle, Carla Kelly, Miranda Neville, Laura Lee Gurhke, Lorraine Heath, Judith Ivory, Sarah Maclean.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #25
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I'm not sure that I would characterize these as romance rather than just straight historical fiction, but I (as a male myself) highly recommend Shayne Parkinson's Promises to Keep Quartet. The first one, Sentence of Marriage is free at Smashwords. I wrote a review of the series here: On Books: The Promises to Keep Quartet. Both I and my wife found these books to be outstanding.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #26
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I'm not sure that I would characterize these as romance rather than just straight historical fiction, but I (as a male myself) highly recommend Shayne Parkinson's Promises to Keep Quartet. The first one, Sentence of Marriage is free at Smashwords. I wrote a review of the series here: On Books: The Promises to Keep Quartet. Both I and my wife found these books to be outstanding.
I second this recommendation. I read "Sentence of Marriage" (on rhadin's recommendation) and after finishing it bought the remaining three books. Excellent.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #27
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Lilith Saintcrow..

I sometimes read romance (paranormal, I guess) and I quite like the books by Lilith Saintcrow - I got most of mine from Fictionwise..
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/a1...aintcrow/?si=0

Sort of a guilty pleasure...

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #28
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
I am not sure, but to my surprise I think I might have just finished reading a romance novel.

I am not sure because I don't see it listed as a romance anywhere and I am not familiar with the genre. It's called Ariel's Office: Moon Void of Course by Laura Lynn. I bought it from Fictionwise (back then when Fictionwise was a cool bookstore and had wonderful sales) while I was searching for mysteries, so at first I thought it was a mystery novel with an astrologer as the main character. I thought it would be fun to see an astrologer solving a case (how would she do it? reading a chart?), so I bought it without thinking it twice, along with a bunch of other ebooks. Ah, micropay rebates, how I miss you. (The thing is, I don't like to know anything about a book before I start reading it, so my buying process is sometimes a little bit random or erratic. I don't mind because I discover new things this way.)

Well, it's not a mystery at all. Actually, at first it's not apparent that it's going to be a romantic love story either. The main character is a woman in her thirties married to a workaholic who just moved to the suburbs to be closer to her husband's job. She is a little bit isolated because she is new to that town and because she is staying home taking care of their toddler, so she decides to open an astrology pratice at her place. And one of her first clients is a very special guy: mature, intelligent, sexy...

One thing that makes me think this is a romance novel is that all the main characters are well-off financially. That softens up considerably any of the difficult situations they have to go through. And everything ends happily. These are the last words of the novel:

Spoiler:
Quote:
I feel blessed that I'm loved by a man who knows me so well he was able to step into my soul, extract my deepest wishes and desires, and make them a reality. I feel like I'm finally home, in this city, in this house, in this room, in my own skin, with you. I love you too, Brad. And this I definitely know."

That's a romance, isn't it?

It's not the kind of book I usually read, but I enjoyed it mostly because I liked the main character. She is strong, optimistic and ironic. I liked the first part of the book better, when the love story was only a hint or a possibility.

Last edited by Andanzas; 03-27-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #29
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I found an interesting series recently: The Kate Daniels paranormal/suspense series. It begins with Magic Bites, the first novel in the series. Author is Ilona Andrews.

The world building is well done and interesting. I'll just say these vampires aren't of the Twilight variety.

The hero is introduced in the first book, but there's no romantic interaction; rather the scene is set for later books. I think a guy would enjoy it.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #30
nikkers
tragic
nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ classic
Hey, As another bloke , I agree about Meg Cobot, Slightly Dangerouse is the best of That series by Mary Balough. Suzanne Enoch,s Samantha Jellicoe series is good . Karen Rose is good though starting to be a bitm of a soap opera. Mary Kay Andrews is really good - Humour suspense and romance. Lois McMaster Bujold's Fantasy novels aregreat and her SF are good to. You forget the place and just love the characters, laugh cry,etc.Any Susan Elizabeth Phillips after 1994 . Mariah Stewart is similar to Karen Rose .
Lilith Saintcrow , Requiem For the Devil by Jeri Smith-Ready. That should keep you going for awhile.
nikkers is offline   Reply With Quote