Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Thinking of selling my 505 and getting a 300...

Don't get me wrong, I love the 505, but lately I've found myself wishing for something that I could just stick in my pocket and carry around (I generally wear clothing with fairly sizable pockets, but not quite sizable enough for the 505.)

I'm considering selling it, and going with the 300 instead - I had the chance to play with one the other day at Best Buy, and I like the size, and the way it feels in my hands. It doesn't have the expandable memory of the 505, but I've found myself not really using that as much as I'd anticipated. Only, I'm rather worried that I'll regret it, and be stuck, so I was wondering - anyone else made this switch? What did you think about it?
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't stick an eink reader in your pocket. You risk damaging the unit.

Plus, you will be going to a smaller screen and it will be noticeable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Screen's too small. As a 505 owner, I couldn't get used to it.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
I have the 505 and love it... but I also have the Astak Pocket Pro which Has a 5 inch screen. I say go for the 300 .... much more convenient for travel on the move etc. I only travel with My pocket pro now and leave my 505 at home for reading. Also consider the Pocket Pro and Opus. They are both good machines.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:27 AM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'd keep the 505 and get a 300 for travel use if you really need to. See if you can try one out before you do, though -- the 300's screen size is too small for me.

I found a very nice carrier at Borders that was meant as a Bible cover -- as soon as I attach a suitable shoulder strap to it, that's going to be my 505 transporter. It has pockets for memory cards and everything, and it's big enough to carry the reader inside a more protective case than the one it comes with (said case being on order from Amazon).

I looked at the 300s, but at least with my eyes, the screens are just too small. I can read them readily enough, but eyestrain starts setting in quite quickly. I love my 505.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:50 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I have the 505 and love it... but I also have the Astak Pocket Pro which Has a 5 inch screen. I say go for the 300 .... much more convenient for travel on the move etc. I only travel with My pocket pro now and leave my 505 at home for reading. Also consider the Pocket Pro and Opus. They are both good machines.
And the Pocketbook 360 - that's my favourite 5" reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:04 AM   #7
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I would also keep the 505 and get a 300 for on the road. Unfortunately for me, both don't provide the zoom and pan function the 600 has. Ok, this was kind of offtopic.

But I tote my readers around every day. Did it with my 505 and now do it with my 600. I have it in my messenger bag. I already dropped it several times, but display damage wasn't an issue so far. Sure I am carefull with all my gadgets ( I don't like them dented or scratched), but I think as long as you are carefull, you don't have to handle it like a raw egg
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
If you're lookign for something that will easily fit in a pocket, why not just use a cell phone? Personally it's hard to read on those, but to me the smaller screen of a 300 would be too small as well.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
And the Pocketbook 360 - that's my favourite 5" reader.
Forgot to mention the 360... Looks like an excellent reader as well in the small category....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
505 is the best, tried and true
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Interesting responses, everyone - thank you!

I hadn't considered too much the other 5" devices, but I am looking at them now - there are a lot more options in that size than I realized! Wow! I'm a little leery that they're not something I can go to a nearby store and hold in my hands before buying, but hey, that's what reviews are for.

As for a cell phone, I'm not really inclined to go that route - I've got a very old-school phone (texts, calls, and doesn't do anything else!) that I plan to keep 'til it dies. I'm avoiding a smartphone because I get easily distracted with things already; having the internet in my pocket is a baaaaad idea.

I read maybe 20 pages on the screen when I tried a 300 out at Best Buy - size didn't bother me too much, but maybe it would be different for long-term reading. Hmm. Then again, I think it'd probably be a sacrifice I was willing to make for additional portability - space for items to carry with me is definitely at a premium.

It looks like I should probably do some more research. Thanks for the help!
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:07 AM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I have the PRS-300 and I think it is ideal. Sure, the screen is somewhat smaller, but it much easier to take with you on the road. At first I was afraid that the smaller screen would be a problem, but it is not. I hardly notice is and the flipping of the page is fast enough for me.

My father has the PRS-600 and I do not think the larger screen outweighs the size factor.

The only time I regret the screensize is when the ebook has absurd margins, but that is easily fixed...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:48 AM   #13
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I agree. The difference of 5" to 6" is not that big if you read novels. Even with tech docs and similar, it probably isn't the issue here. I think the main difference comes in with the usage of the device, meaning that tech docs are easier to use with zoom and pan which isn't available on the 300. I wouldn't have mind using the navigation pad on the 505 to move my pdfs to where I read, but unfortunately, it only could move the pdf in fixed increments. Otherwise the 505 is a great device and I think the 300 fits pretty good in its footsteps.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:51 AM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I have a Gen3 and an Opus. For novels, I don't find a lot of difference at the screen size, and I like more thee Opus for carrying it around (I usually take my reader out with me all the time). I don't read PDF, so I can't tell about it.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:28 AM   #15
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I notice the difference between a 5" and a 6" screen, but it doesn't bother me. You should definitely take a look at the Pocketbook 360. It's very light and the cover solution is ideal if you plan to carry it in a pocket.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote