Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
The UTF-8 code for ⅓ is & #8531;

A simple google search told me that...
Or you could copy and paste from the Windows "Character Mapper" accessory.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:01 PM   #17
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I don't think using the entity will help if ADE doesn't have the font.

Fractions can be handled using css, I use this formula and it works pretty well for me.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:02 AM   #18
cuthbert19
Enthusiast
cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
I don't think using the entity will help if ADE doesn't have the font.
That was already solved when we suggested cybmole to embed in the epub file a font into whom that symbol is represented
cuthbert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #19
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
ADE is the most common renderer for epub devices, so it would be good see how things are going to look
Even then, not all devices use the ADE default font. The Cybooks, for example, use the ADE engine but let you choose your preferred default font (no need for embedding).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #20
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Even then, not all devices use the ADE default font. The Cybooks, for example, use the ADE engine but let you choose your preferred default font (no need for embedding).
promising - but e-readers seem to have their own proprietary collections of fonts & the font names do not correspond to windows font name ?

e.g. if I were to buy a Sony T1, it's possible that one of its built in fonts would cater for this symbol, but I see no way to find that out without buying one.

I also noticed - sony bug/side effect - that when I try to create a note of the phrase containing the problem character, for easy future reference, I cannot swipe through or around the displayed ? i.e. cannot capture it within a note.

I recall a recent thread, either here or on a related board, asking for a table of devices + rendering engines + PC emulators - but I don't recall one ever being located ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
promising - but e-readers seem to have their own proprietary collections of fonts & the font names do not correspond to windows font name ?

e.g. if I were to buy a Sony T1, it's possible that one of its built in fonts would cater for this symbol, but I see no way to find that out without buying one.
Very true. If you do want to use the "rarer" Unicode characters, the only safe way to do it is to embed an appropriate font into the book.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #22
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuthbert19 View Post
That was already solved when we suggested cybmole to embed in the epub file a font into whom that symbol is represented
Yes, I saw that part, but Cybmole was asking for solutions that didn't require font embedding, and I didn't see anyone mention the css formatting option - not mine btw, just something I picked up in the ePub forum a long time ago.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #23
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I use <sup>1</sup>/<sub>3</sub> to get fractions like 1/3, and it seems to work pretty well in both mobi and epub. You could also add <small> tags around the 1 and the 3, I suppose.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:51 AM   #24
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Not in the Cybook case. You copy your font files to the reader (TTF or OTF) and when you want to change the font you are presented a list of font names to choose from. No need to know the internal names or modify the book file.

Of course, other readers behave differently, but this is just to make it clear that not all readers have the same limitations.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:03 AM   #25
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
so how does cybook handle epub which have 2 or more fonts - just curious
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The manual selection is for the "body" font. If there are any specific font selections - eg for titles - they will remain as specified in the ePub.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #27
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole
PS - embedding a font for just 1 instance of 1 special character
another option would be to export the character from a fitting font and insert it as SVG i think.
Calling the glyph coverage in ADE poor is still a very euphemistic understatement so you 'll run across similar trouble sooner or later again.

I also believe that it is due to the nature of epub and the fact that RS differ rather wrong to think about sigil as WYSIWYG.
IMO the description WYSIWYM (what you see is what you mean) as coined for creation of TeX files is far better fitting, because both creation systems (TeX & epub) share the duality of difference in creation and rendering.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote