Notices

Old 08-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
purple_kathryn
Mostly harmless
purple_kathryn began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Driver not successfully installed

I am absolutely stumped about what I am supposed to do about this

When I first connected it it came up on my pc driver not successfully installed, therefore I cannot access my kobo from my PC

I tried a factory reset
tried going through device manager and uninstalling, disconnecting reconnecting
tried different cables and I have 2 usb ports, tried both of those.

I connect my phone to my PC to charge it and it's still working fine.

I've connected it to my laptop and it will connect there so I'm going to try downloading calibre then transferring all my books across but if I hadn't of had my laptop the reader would've been pretty useless to me
purple_kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:36 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_kathryn View Post
I am absolutely stumped about what I am supposed to do about this

When I first connected it it came up on my pc driver not successfully installed, therefore I cannot access my kobo from my PC

I tried a factory reset
tried going through device manager and uninstalling, disconnecting reconnecting
tried different cables and I have 2 usb ports, tried both of those.

I connect my phone to my PC to charge it and it's still working fine.

I've connected it to my laptop and it will connect there so I'm going to try downloading calibre then transferring all my books across but if I hadn't of had my laptop the reader would've been pretty useless to me
The easiest thing to do on a Windows machine is to open device manager, click on view and select show hidden devices. At that point, there are two possibilities.

1. If you don't see an Other Devices header, connect your Kobo and wait a bit. At that point, should see a "Other Devices" header. Expand that section, and you delete any entries.

2. If you did see an Other Devices header, expand it, connect your Kobo, wait a bit and see if a new item(s> shows up under that header. If it does, delete it/them.

Alternate to deleting the entry is to right click on it and then select update driver but I've had better luck with the delete and reinstall procedure.

You should now be able to disconnect your Kobo, reconnect it and have the drivers install properly.

Good luck!
David

Last edited by DNSB; 08-21-2014 at 11:44 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2014, 11:42 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try a different USB port and if that doesn't work, a different USB cable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try a different USB port and if that doesn't work, a different USB cable.
Ummm... to quote the original message: "tried different cables and I have 2 usb ports, tried both of those."

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:33 AM   #5
purple_kathryn
Mostly harmless

Cheers for the replies guys

I have windows 7 if that's of any relevance

I can see the ereader under "other devices" in device manager says ereader 3.30

If I try either option to find the driver (either online or on the computer) both come back saying none found.

If I select manually install driver from computer there's a link that says "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" Would I find something under that?
Advert
Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_kathryn View Post
Cheers for the replies guys

I have windows 7 if that's of any relevance

I can see the ereader under "other devices" in device manager says ereader 3.30

If I try either option to find the driver (either online or on the computer) both come back saying none found.

If I select manually install driver from computer there's a link that says "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" Would I find something under that?
You want to delete the device/driver not install something. That way, when you connect next time, it should install the driver properly.

If that doesn't work, get USBDeview. When you run it, it will show all the USB devices that have been connected to the PC. Find all the Kobo devices and uninstall them. Hopefully, when you connect the next time, the driver will install properly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #7
purple_kathryn
Mostly harmless

The USBDeview thing doesn't seem to show anything that might be the kobo unfortunately and I've repeatedly tried uninstalling it in device manager

Everytime I reconnect and the installing driver thing comes up it says not installed successfully.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I suggest taking it back to the store and exchange it. The same thing happened to me when I bought my Aura and that's what I did. The new one worked fine.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
purple_kathryn
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I suggest taking it back to the store and exchange it. The same thing happened to me when I bought my Aura and that's what I did. The new one worked fine.
Do you know I think that's probably best idea.

I always just assume I'm at fault but clearly it is just not going to work with my PC

(I also bought a shower radio recently that turned out to be a dud so I'm feeling a bit annoyed at the minute)
Old 08-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #10
purple_kathryn
Mostly harmless

and that didn't work either. I'm just going to try using my laptop instead and maybe the matter will resolve itself.