Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Anyone successfully rooted 1.7?

I've posted at the NookDevs place and haven't gotten a response, but I was wondering if anyone on here has actually rooted one following these instructions?

Here is the discussion link, my comment is at the bottom...if anyone is able to help me out that would be great:

http://nookdevs.com/Talk:Rooting_B%2...n_any_hardware

Tried to do as much research on my own to get it working as I could...just can't find a solution. I've been working on rooting this thing for days now.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I've posted at the NookDevs place and haven't gotten a response, but I was wondering if anyone on here has actually rooted one following these instructions?

Here is the discussion link, my comment is at the bottom...if anyone is able to help me out that would be great:

http://nookdevs.com/Talk:Rooting_B%2...n_any_hardware

Tried to do as much research on my own to get it working as I could...just can't find a solution. I've been working on rooting this thing for days now.
Nope it is hit or miss, I'm sticking with 1.5
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

okay, thanks...I was hoping someone was able to do it. I can connect to it to start the process, but can't re-connect after restarting ADB.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
okay, thanks...I was hoping someone was able to do it. I can connect to it to start the process, but can't re-connect after restarting ADB.
Some people have done it, you will just have to persevere. i don't have th time and don't want to lose root.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard

It's a new nook for my wife...it was just to make it easier to put books on it. Apparently she can't really be bothered ot hook it up teh computer and press Send LOL.
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
Laurensber
Laurensber began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:

I've done it! It took 2 hours and I have quite bit of Linux experience, that helped a lot. It isn't a easy as I would like it to be and I had to change some things but it's possible
Laurensber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
jhempel24
Wizard

What did you change?? Im still working on it. Lol
Old 08-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #8
Laurensber

Quote:
What did you change?? Im still working on it. Lol
ratc.bin didn't take. After checking the permissions and trying it a few times it worked out fine.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #9
jhempel24
Wizard

did you have to do anything to the file itself? I can't connect back to the nook after running that.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:09 AM   #10
Laurensber

Quote:
did you have to do anything to the file itself? I can't connect back to the nook after running that.
That's to be expected After ratc.bin you have to do the browser exploit again (but now your nook might be unstable). Then you can continue following the steps.

I have quite a bit of Linux/Android experience so it was quite easy to spot the problem for me.

It takes a few try's but having a rooted Nook with the NookLibary for sideloaded content and a new launcher really make it a more comfortable device!

If only you could add a summary to sideloaded content
Old 08-19-2011, 05:14 AM   #11
jhempel24
Wizard

Okay.....I think I get what you are saying.

The instructions said to run the exploit again and do the steps from scratch. So I can just do the exploit again and continue from where it left off right?
Old 08-26-2011, 07:09 AM   #12
Laurensber

Quote:
Okay.....I think I get what you are saying.

The instructions said to run the exploit again and do the steps from scratch. So I can just do the exploit again and continue from where it left off right?
For me that did the trick

It takes some time but once you got it rooted you never have to do it again
Old 12-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #13
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm updating this thread because it was one of the few relevant google results I got when trying and having trouble rooting a newer-hardware Nook First Edition purchased used as a Xmas gift. To answer the title question, yes, after numerous attempts and several hours invested, I've succeeded in rooting firmware 1.7 via the web exploit.

I recommend anyone trying this method read the talk page that jhempel linked in the OP. I could probably have saved myself 2-3 hours if I'd followed the suggestion there to copy the connect-and-push commands to the clipboard with new line commands included. Presumably it's what the .bat file is intended to do, but I had no luck using the .bat file.

Stopping partway through this process (having run ratc.bin but not successfully pushed init.rc), I came back to it today to find my Nook unstable, the browser crashing immediately after opening so that I could not attempt the web exploit. The Nook wouldn't seem to fully factory reset from settings, and triggering "factory fallback" restore (power off Nook, then hold the power button for 12 seconds after the screen flashes, 6-7 times in a row) didn't work the first time, either. I thought I was screwed.

The watchwords for dealing with this device, though, seem to be "try, try again." After going through the 7-failed boots six times and seeming to succeed (getting the "update installing screen") three times, it finally stuck and my Nook reverted to firmware 1.4.3.

Actually rooting once I was registered and updated again took less than 30 minutes. I would say it took on average about a dozen tries to trigger adbd via the web exploit, and I did it at least half a dozen times these past two days. You really have to put on your Zen hat and be prepared to do everything over-and-over to get through this procedure. I kept a text file open with the relevant console commands handy for copying to the clipboard.

Hopefully this post will save the next person some headaches. Just keep in mind that just about every step of this process is a toss of the dice; if it doesn't work, just do it again.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote