Notices

Old 07-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #436
initx
Enthusiast
initx began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nokia Lumia 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamizase View Post
This is a general problem - the dead spot is vis-a-vis the speaker. Take out the speaker and it will be fine.
Hi All. I am just about to buy an M90. But this bug must be annoying. I also noticed it when trying an A60 in the shop, just I did not know that it is a general issue. Is it true for all devices, or just for any of them?! I definitely need the pen over my pdf files.

And another question: what is your long-term experience with its usability considering big page PDF-s? Is it easy to navigate through pages with the pen?

Best,

initx
initx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #437
OphReader
Connoisseur
OphReader began at the beginning.

Device: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by OphReader View Post
Dear Onyx Europe can you please explain to me how I can use the dictionary on the m91s? When I try to use it the device just freezes.
Well?
OphReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #438
Russeliz
Russeliz began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Is the BOOX M90 good?

I need a good e reader for PDF's have seen several 6in, But what about a good 9.7in There are very few in the USA, and very pricy!!!
I have seen The ONYX BOOX M90 has 9.7" E Ink® display, is this a good ereader? I need help, I am looking for a 9in Eink reader with touch screen. What do you recommend?

Thanks Russeliz
Russeliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #439
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeliz View Post
I need a good e reader for PDF's have seen several 6in, But what about a good 9.7in There are very few in the USA, and very pricy!!!
I have seen The ONYX BOOX M90 has 9.7" E Ink® display, is this a good ereader? I need help, I am looking for a 9in Eink reader with touch screen. What do you recommend?

Thanks Russeliz
Have you not read the thread? The M90 is a very good looking device, with a lot potential, but full of bugs for the time being.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #440
ssdb
Enthusiast
ssdb began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeliz View Post

Thanks Russeliz
In general, I'd say yes. It's difficult to explain because we're all different and have different expectations but...

I downloaded the free "Ubuntu pocket guide and reference" pdf and I can read that one page at a time without any zoom. As there are side margins I can zoom in and the width of the page fills the screen and I can still see the full page.

If you download it and go to page xviii there is a little picture at the top taking up maybe 1/4 of the page. On that image the text is too small to see properly but the caption and the rest of the page text is fine. Selecting 'Hide margins' makes the picture a bit bigger and zooming in is the only way to actually see the image properly (and you lose the full page). Having said that, it may be the PDF that is the problem because using my laptop and Foxit reader to view the same page ("zoom->actual size") then the image is again unreadable.

For my purposes the screen is perfectly good and the only way it could be better is if the screen size was either A4 or US letter because that is the size most PDFs are created for.

All in all I'd say this is a very good device, the only thing I'd change is the page rotation system, otherwise I've no complaints so far.
ssdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 01:52 AM   #441
Marco9000
Marco9000 began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook One
Unfortunately I noticed something else with this device compared to my other e-ink devices.
The screen has always been almost indestructible, my old e-book reader has been travelling with me for years without any problems with the screen.
I've hit my phone with an e-ink screen towards a corner of a table (yes, the screen against a corner of a table), my other reader has made high falls without having any problem with the screen.

When I stepped on the flight back to Cambodia I picked up my reader and noticed the screen looked strange (light area) and when I turned it on my suspicions were confirmed.
The screen had broken apart (much like a window or a laptop screen) and the right side of the screen is unreadable.

I stored it in the case in the same bag as two laptops which show no sign of being abused so it seems the device screen is more sensitive to shock than the laptop screens.
I was terrified I had broken the laptops as well but now when I have arrived home I've seen that they both are working.

I live in Cambodia and imported the device from the states to Sweden and I would (of course) like to have this device fixed.
Does anyone have any idea on where to turn to get it fixed?
Is it possible to go to an electronics shop and get the screen replaced?

And I am also wondering what makes this specific screen so sensitive?
Is this due to it being a touch screen, a pearl screen or what?
There is certainly a difference on how sensitive these are and if I can not fix this reader I sure do not want something as sensitive again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0647.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	668.5 KB
ID:	74982  
Marco9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:57 AM   #442
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I think it was just bad luck. The larger screen size makes the unit more susceptible I believe. A protective case is a must I think. The laptops fold up protecting the screen pretty well but eBook readers do not. In addition you tend to hold eBook readers in more precarious positions where a laptop is more likely not to be held at all. Sorry that it broke, that is really unfortunate.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #443
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It's an eink screen. That's how they break. Sounds like you have been extremely lucky with your other eink devices. My husband's first Kindle looked just like that when he broke it in his briefcase.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #444
initx
Enthusiast

So, I have ordered my M90 and got the reply from the dealer, that they can deliver it in 2 weeks, and also, that the dead spot issue will be corrected!
Old 08-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #445
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by initx View Post
So, I have ordered my M90 and got the reply from the dealer, that they can deliver it in 2 weeks, and also, that the dead spot issue will be corrected!
how did they correct it? us pre-order users want a *fix* solution as well.
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #446
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
the dead spot is completely corrected on my test unit with the newest update linked to in this post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=13
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #447
nprnncbl
nprnncbl began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
the dead spot is completely corrected on my test unit with the newest update linked to in this post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=13
Just to be clear: your test unit originally exhibited the dead spot, and with only a firmware update, the dead spot is gone?

I would have thought this would require a hardware modification; if it's correctable with firmware, that's great news for people that already own one. (I don't-- at least not yet.)
nprnncbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #448
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by nprnncbl View Post
Just to be clear: your test unit originally exhibited the dead spot, and with only a firmware update, the dead spot is gone?

I would have thought this would require a hardware modification; if it's correctable with firmware, that's great news for people that already own one. (I don't-- at least not yet.)
nada, new firmware doesn't solve deadspot, we should lobby Onyx for a hardware mod which we can install it ourselves.
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #449
initx
Enthusiast

I have just got the info from our local dealer that the shipment will be late because the manufacturer just tunes the firmware (or hardware improvements? dead spot?).
because I will get my device later, but
because my device will perhaps be a bit better.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:52 AM   #450
ismaelndes
ismaelndes began at the beginning.

Device: Papyre
Deadspot and Last access to files

Quote:
Originally Posted by jian1 View Post
nada, new firmware doesn't solve deadspot, we should lobby Onyx for a hardware mod which we can install it ourselves.
The deadspot effect is reduced with the new firmware, but it is still there. If it is a hardware problem, the updates will not totally solve it.

On the other hand, I have noticed a bug after the last firmware update (I'm not asure if it was there previously). The last access to the files (date and time) is stored corectly, but when you switch off the ebook, the time is reseted to 00:00.
ismaelndes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onyx boox, onyx boox m90