Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Someone's selling their laptop

http://gizmodo.com/5541821/the-ipad-...ling-my-laptop

Please note.. For this person, the iPad meets all his needs, for someone else (you) it may not, please don't turn this into a pointless argument.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
http://gizmodo.com/5541821/the-ipad-...ling-my-laptop

Please note.. For this person, the iPad meets all his needs, for someone else (you) it may not, please don't turn this into a pointless argument.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
it's not meant to feed the trolls, but foster discussion on this topic. we've actually had some people post similar stories. actually for myself i have stopped carrying around a laptop (work) and nettop (personal) when i travel for business, the laptop + ipad easily does everything i need it to do. there might be other people here trying to decide between purchasing an ipad or a nettop and looking for opinions and experience from people..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Love some of the comments criticizing the author for his post-they just can't accept that he could possibly do "work" on an iPad...they are even denigrating what he considers work
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, too many people have to bash other's opinions--those comments are pretty silly.

Whatever tablet I end up with could never replace my laptop--well maybe down the road if there are great tablet/laptop combos with detachable screens.

My laptop is my only home computer and I just couldn't do my writing work on a tablet, much less statistical analyses etc.

But most people have much lighter uses for their laptops--just e-mail, internet, some video, looking at photos, doing very light word processing etc. No reason a tablet couldn't replace that for them--especially if they also have a desktop at home.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I have two netbooks I could do without now that I have iPad. I used them on the road and have laptops at home for more extensive computing.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
It isn't really a shock that this option works for some people, it is a companion to a main device and how much you can get away from needing your main machine not to mention how much nicer it is to be carrying a lighter bag when travelling, as I have found now my work laptop is an x200s instead of an older T series thinkpad that was about twice the weight.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Love some of the comments criticizing the author for his post-they just can't accept that he could possibly do "work" on an iPad...they are even denigrating what he considers work
Work?!? Let us read what he wrote:

Quote:
What computing does one do on the road? My needs are admittedly more modest than many business travels. My only two critical functions are being able to write and save text and, when internet avails, check my email.
You can do that with a smartphone. I hardly call that work. Try interchanging office documents with other computer systems are running true business apps that a typical company uses--not play apps available for iPhones and iPads.

He later laments:

Quote:
Beyond mere typing, I had hoped to use the iPad as a backup for my photos and videos from my new Canon T2i, but the official Camera Connection Kit is nowhere to be found. I ordered one from Apple, but it is at least a month backordered. It would have been great not just to use the iPad as backup for my images, but to preview them on its larger screen.
My HP Mini not only connects to my Canon T1i but allows me to control the camera right out of the box. Something I doubt the iPad will ever do. I don't use it to merely look at photos and videos I take or back them up, I use it to change settings, focus on stars at night (which is difficult and tedious without a computer), and completely control the camera and the photographic environment.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #9
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Work?!? Let us read what he wrote:

You can do that with a smartphone. I hardly call that work. Try interchanging office documents with other computer systems are running true business apps that a typical company uses--not play apps available for iPhones and iPads.

He later laments:

My HP Mini not only connects to my Canon T1i but allows me to control the camera right out of the box. Something I doubt the iPad will ever do. I don't use it to merely look at photos and videos I take or back them up, I use it to change settings, focus on stars at night (which is difficult and tedious without a computer), and completely control the camera and the photographic environment.

Yes, I understand your needs are different than Joel Johnson's. And mine, for that matter. Glad you've got a solution that works for you.

According to Johnson, he has a solution that works for him. Why second guess him? You hardly think what he describes is work? Seriously?
Old 05-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Well, there's a been a couple of high profile "I'm returning my iPad" stories so I kind of get a chuckle out of this one. It just goes to show not everyone has the same needs in an electronic device. Shocking, I know but some people think their world view should apply to everyone.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
Well, there's a been a couple of high profile "I'm returning my iPad" stories so I kind of get a chuckle out of this one. It just goes to show not everyone has the same needs in an electronic device. Shocking, I know but some people think their world view should apply to everyone.
Exactly. Fake Steve Jobs even went Android!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #13
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I personally don't see the iPad, or any other tablet in the near future, as replacing a laptop for real productivity.

On the other had, there is one smart jeans company, which caters to to those who claim to be productive and portable with their iPad:

---
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ipad jeans.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	52043  
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #14
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I personally don't see the iPad, or any other tablet in the near future, as replacing a laptop for real productivity.

On the other had, there is one smart jeans company, which caters to to those who claim to be productive and portable with their iPad:

---
There have been stories about apps in development for industries such as business and health care. I read one that said iPad apps could help save billions in health care. There are well-respected medical schools and hospitals working on such. Some got iPads before release. I saw a medical Web site where they were taking feedback on apps. If you google "iPad" and "health," you should be able to find stories if you're interested.

A tech guy on Amazon's Kindle board said a client of his company was pushing them to modify existing software to work on iPad. The software involved millions of dollars in sales.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 05-21-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #15
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
There have been stories about apps in development for industries such as business and health care. I read one that said iPad apps could help save billions in health care....
Tablets have been used in medical facilities for a while now and there are a bunch of suppliers. Like this one:

http://www.motioncomputing.com/produ...blet_pc_c5.asp

(see how useful a camera can be )

But iPads saving "billions?!" I wouldn't believe everything I read, particularly about the iPad. Remember, it claims that it is the "Best way to browse the web. Hands down." Except that it shows dumbed down mobile versions, or blue legos, in those large parts of the web which use Flash and Java....

Anyway, I think you totally missed the joke in my most above.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote