Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: kindle or iliad?
kindle 15 28.85%
iliad 27 51.92%
other 10 19.23%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
ttheinz
ttheinz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question kindle or iliad?

I ordered a kindle a month ago and just got the email stating it would be here in a week (or two but I am being optimistic). I have thought about ebooks for the month and wished the kindle had a few things. 1. Better graphics for pictures. I read mostly classics but an occasional graphic novel might be nice.
2. Ever been bored at work and played mine sweeper or solitaire? Might be nice to switch over and play chess for a while. 3. Note taking. I want to jot down a few things, maybe a grocery list for the concoction I am going to whip up for my wife this evening. With the kindle it is difficult and must be tied to a book. Might be nice to have a tablet function where I can jot things down.
The diehard kindle owners say the kindle is for reading. If you want something more, look somewhere else. I am a photographer and this reminds me of the pros 20 years ago. Their cameras were all manual. You wanted autofocus or any automatic features, look somewhere else. A pro camera was not for you. Now the pro cameras have the most advanced technology of the cameras.
Don't get me wrong, I still want to primarily read on the device. Newspapers and magazines on occasion. So tell me, why should I get the kindle? Why not?
Thanks for the help and reading the long post.
ttheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:38 AM   #2
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttheinz View Post
I ordered a kindle a month ago and just got the email stating it would be here in a week (or two but I am being optimistic). I have thought about ebooks for the month and wished the kindle had a few things. 1. Better graphics for pictures. I read mostly classics but an occasional graphic novel might be nice.
I read a lot of graphic novels, and for those I'd stick to a computer and CDisplay, unless the graphic novel had been designed with electronic format in mind or for a very odd paper/page size.

And if you just got the email from Amazon, odds are it'll be there in about 3-5 business days, sooner if you paid for overnight.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2008, 01:08 AM   #3
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I think that you should get the Kindle because as you have stated you already ordered it.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:24 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
It really depends on your needs. If you just like to read, get the Kindle. Lots of books available, long battery life, small and easy to carry.

If you want to read A4 PDFs, want a bigger screen, need to be able to scribble stuff, then the iLiad is for you.

But as i said. depends all on your needs. I use an iLiad AND a CyBook because i need both for different purposes.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #5
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
I use an iLiad AND a CyBook because i need both for different purposes.
Does the CyBook do anything the iLiad doesn't, or is it the smaller size & longer battery life that makes the difference?
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Does the CyBook do anything the iLiad doesn't, or is it the smaller size & longer battery life that makes the difference?
IIRC, the iLiad has a touchscreen and that's not available on the Cybook. And the iLiad is much more user-friendly when it comes to adding user apps.

However, the Cybook is less expensive, smaller, lighter and works great for reading. Wouldn't want to have to scan through a large PDF document that's been formatted for a larger page-size though.

As for the Kindle, well, that's why I own a Cybook!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttheinz View Post
1. Better graphics for pictures. I read mostly classics but an occasional graphic novel might be nice.
2. Ever been bored at work and played mine sweeper or solitaire? Might be nice to switch over and play chess for a while.
3. Note taking. I want to jot down a few things, maybe a grocery list for the concoction I am going to whip up for my wife this evening. With the kindle it is difficult and must be tied to a book. Might be nice to have a tablet function where I can jot things down.
I have both, and I use my iLiad more than my Kindle. This is because an 8" screen is better than a 6" screen, and FBReader is better (more customizable for individual preferences) than the Kindle's Reader software (which is similar to the MobiPocket Reader on the iLiad).

Images do display better on the iLiad, but they are surprisingly good on the Kindle.

I like the fact that the iLiad is open to 3rd party software, and I would not have bought it without FBReader availability. However, there are not a large number of 3rd party aps for the iLiad and most are very basic compared to what you can get on a Linux desktop (or even a Nokia N8X0). The Kindle's "basic" web browser is more usable than any yet provided on the iLiad.

For note taking, on both devices I think you need a blank document. Using a stylus probably is easier than the Kindle's tiny keyboard.

The deciding factor for me is screen size. I use the iLiad mostly at home, and if I was using it more for travel then the Kindle's 6" screen and much longer battery life might win out. Absent screen size as a criteria, I suggest you stick with the Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Smaller size and battery life are what makes me use the CyBook for casual reading. And another big factor is, that i can choose my own font on the CyBook, which is kind of important to me.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
I have both the Iliad and Kindle. Although I use Iliad most of the time for reading now, if I was given the choice of ONE device and one only I would pick the Kindle.

This because of ease of use, the dictionary, the search feature, the integration with the catalog and it's just darn well thought out by the designers vis a vis integration with Amazon.

I don't have wireless service where I live, but it is a boon to use when I am in a wireless service area.

One of the things I absolutely love is that when I get a book I like I can have it emailed directly to my sisters Kindle or my nieces Kindle for only a dime. If I was to email the file to them they would never, ever, EVER hook up the USB and drag & drop the book. They just don't want to fiddle with wires and computers the way I/we do.

So for ease of use for the general user get the Kindle.

If you are a heavy duty user like most posters here, get Iliad or Cybook or Sony.

BTW, I have bought several Kindles. When you get an email saying it 'will be here in a week' that means you will have it in 2-3 business days.

Last edited by Kingston; 04-12-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I bought my iLiad about a year ago, but even if the Kindle had been available, I'd have gotten an iLiad, because I use the stylus heavily while reading journal articles for grad school or taking notes in class. If all I wanted to do was read books, I might have stuck with my trusty eBookwise 1150 (which I still kind of miss because the backlighting was so convenient for reading at night without keeping my husband awake, and I haven't found a booklight that works as well on the iLiad).

But different people have different needs. I think it's good that there are different devices with different functions.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:59 AM   #11
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur
Paul in Saudi is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
I just wanted to come and ask exactly the same question, "Kindle or Iliad?" I busted my Kindle but did not have so much content as to make that the deciding factor. (The replacement Kindle is scheduled to arrive in two weeks, so I need to decide.)

1. Biggest issue. I am a Mac user. does the Iliad handle Mac?
2. The battery life of the Kindle was impressive. Same for the Iliad?
3. Getting the New York Times every day was very addictive. Can I do the same with the Iliad?
4. The worse part of the Kindle was the limited ability to manage files. I see (from the manual) that the Iliad handles them in a more flexible way.
5. As a neophyte, I admire the content at Amazon, but presume I can do OK with the Iliad in that regard?

--found this neat blog post--
http://egofood.blogspot.com/2008/02/...re-i-tell.html

Oddly he seems to think the Kindle software is superior.
I am eager for you Smart People to give me some wise words.

Last edited by Paul in Saudi; 04-14-2008 at 03:03 AM. Reason: found neat blog posting
Paul in Saudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:37 AM   #12
awi
Enthusiast
awi has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: 2x Irex Iliad V2, DR1000s & DR800sg
@Paul

-Mac is no problem, on the irex forums there is some information available on how to configure the (wireless) filesharing on a mac Tiger and Leopard.
When you connect the iliad through UTP-wire, the iliad will just show up on your desktop.
The iliad companion software does not run on OSX, but will run on an intel mac using parallels or other vmware.

Battery life could be better, but will last for days with a few hours of reading a day.
But then, more batterylife would mean a less sleek design and heavier machine.

File manangement is OK, clear menu structure. Iliad will read DRM'ed and non'DRM'ed mobipocket filed from many vendors, no reason to commit to amazon only.

Finally it is great to be able to install "third-party" apps on the iliad like readers, browsers and games.

I have my iliad for six months now and am very happy with it. I read more books than ever and also lots of work related PDF's and manuals.
awi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:42 AM   #13
Paul in Saudi
Connoisseur
Paul in Saudi is on a distinguished road

Device: Amazon Kindle
How about the newspapers? Can I subscribe as on the Kindle?
Paul in Saudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:04 AM   #14
awi
Enthusiast
awi has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: 2x Irex Iliad V2, DR1000s & DR800sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Saudi View Post
How about the newspapers? Can I subscribe as on the Kindle?
I Don't know. Overhere in The Netherlands there's one since march 6th, others might follow.

NYT has a digital edition but I am not sure about format and layout. Just contact them to find out.

Last edited by awi; 04-14-2008 at 08:04 AM.
awi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Regarding newspapers, search on "feedbooks" and RSS subscription tools.

Battery life is nowhere near as good as the Kindle, I suspect. (I don't have a Kindle, but I suppose it's like the Sony, which apparently runs for weeks on a single charge.) It's the Wacom screen, mostly. Even when it's not in use, apparently it draws power. Or something. None of us can figure out quite why the power management on the iLiad is so bad (and I say that as someone who's otherwise completely satisfied with the beast).

Also, the iLiad has a 45 second start-up time, and no sleep mode. But it doesn't drain the batteries at all when it's switched off. I don't know about the Kindle. I think the Sony lasts about two weeks whether you're reading or not, because of the suspend mode. Is that right?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote