Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
Unhappy e-ink/reader framebuffer device (killed it, sorta)

basically through fooling around I managed to stop the reader side from working (and also make my library apparently disappear). almost positive this is because I installed busybox and that something in the startup scripts is failing because of this

namely, /dev/graphics/fb2, the framebuffer device for the reader side, isn't being created anymore.

but I found that by loading ep3522fb (and a handful of dependencies) it works just fine again. well, except for the pen - obviously either another module isn't being loaded or some input service isn't being run. required modules were:
sysimgblt.ko
sysfillrect.ko
syscopyarea.ko
fb_sys_fops.ko
ep3522fb.ko

trying to get back to a fresh install, but so far attempts to reinstall ermine or do a downgrade to golden dingo, have all failed - it says it's doing the upgrade but when it finally reboots I'm still in my same old system.

not terribly worried, either I'll figure out how to get the reader pen working too, or manage to get a clean reinstall somehow. the library refusing to work is a little annoying - I can open books from flash storage but again the library claims to be empty and trying to import books into it looks successful but doesn't do anything.

just thought this may be an interesting little bit of info to have written down somewhere, for someone. obviously nothing brilliant to see here, but still.
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:07 AM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Good luck, tarvoke!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
It's unlikely busybox itself as it's installed along with z4root.
But if you modified path to have busybox first, then it's possible.
Interesting sequence - good to know just in case.
vicinc should try to execute one.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

thanks for the replies and support :-)

I agree, I also felt it's unlikely to be busybox, but just can't think what else it would be - the last things I did before it started this behavior was install: busybox installer (and then run the installer), and android id changer. I put busybox in /system/xbin, whch is at the end of the path, so yes, it shouldn't be interfering with anything.

I did change the android id but then changed it back - I guess that might somehow be related but hard to see how.

anyway, got the golden update to work, finally. yay. so now just to re-upgrade to 2.2 and put back all the apps and settings I lost, and to try not to do this again - I was pretty happy with the state I had everything in (other than apparently having the same androidID as the phone I cloned market/framework from, and not properly syncing old gtalk threads)
Old 10-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
how did you got the android id changed and changed back, mine is saying is invalid...
also how did you got the e-ink working, any procedure.
and above all how did you got golden working?!!!
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

hi vicinc, I just used android ID changer from the market, although it also required first busybox to be installed (I think that the busybox earlier installed by z4root is either missing some programs internally, or else just missing the symlinks for those programs?) - but I still wonder if that busybox conflicted with the one in esi/bin.

I also have sqlite editor which probably could have done the job, and I've also seen examples of using sqlite command from adb to do it.

I'm still not sure if one can simply change to a random new ID or need to change to an existing good ID (which is the only thing I have seen in examples - take the existing ID from your phone or emulator) - I changed to a random and my market and gtalk still worked, but gtalk still showed the same weird sync problem, so I'm not sure if there was any benefit there (maybe only to people whose existing androidID gets blacklisted/refused?)

the reader, I got back by inserting those modules listed above, e.g.

adb shell
su -
cd /lib/modules
insmod ./sysimgblt.ko
(etc. insmod for the other modules)

but again, the pen input service/driver (think this is an X/framebuffer "driver" not a linux module driver) was still not running. altho the input driver for the reader buttons was working. doing some logcat and dmesg on the properly working system gives a better idea what modules are installed and what services are running (only after the fact, I found someone's "development" post on these forums that detailed all of this much better)

anyway:

I ended up using emusan's golden update.zip b/c nothing else worked regardless of what usb stick or sd card I tried. this is probably because I had earlier changed fingerprint in build.prop and the updates (ermine, vanilla golden or otherwise) did not like it. if that hadn't worked I would have tried editing the update sh script myself and take out more of the checks that could possibly fail - but emusan's was sufficient after all.

sorry I know this is all vague and rambling, I have to investigate more to figure out exactly what happened. but I do think that busybox and the fact of system/xbin coming before system/esi/bin in the path had something to do with it:

- /system/bin has "toolbox" (version unknown, couldn't get it) which seems like basically a busybox or clone
- /system/bin also (I think) has busybox 1.17.x - may have come from z4root?
- /system/xbin had the busybox installer apk version in it - I tried both 1.19.x and 1.17.x
- /system/esi/bin (**this is all the reader related stuff**) also has its own busybox 1.15.x
- path at the time was roughly /system/bin:/system/xbin:/system/esi/bin

probably what I should have done to test to be sure was delete all the busybox symlinks in xbin, but was worried about breaking even more and just wanted to wipe to a clean state.

Last edited by tarvoke; 10-02-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
/system/esi/bin has a rew scripts to initialize ESI stuff, e.g.,
start_epd.sh and
fix_permissions.sh
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:55 AM   #8
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

thanks ptsenter -- looks like /system/esi/bin/start_epd.sh is what loads the e-ink related modules. and it does make sure to explicitly call /system/esi/bin/busybox for the purpose. so it may not have been the alternate busybox in xbin causing the problem, but still not sure.

wish I had done some more digging instead of being panicked and simply wanting to restore everything ;-)
Old 10-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #9
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

tarvoke/ ptsenter > sorry for not being the most switched on here.
in order to get my unit working (at least a golden update), what do you suggest me to do?
emusan golden update does not work for me. from usb, sd , tried 15 cards or usb sticks by now.
In edge settings I have got bad sku, bad serial.
Installed the modules under adb shell.
on reboot still eink screen is not working

Last edited by vicinc; 10-03-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

hi vicinc

the modules have to be inserted at every boot, so reboot will lose them. but when you do insert them, then doing
ls -l /dev/graphics

should show you fb2 as well as fb0 and fb1.

i.e. the eink should work right away - at that point you should be able to open a book in the reader app and the buttons will work (but maybe not the pen)

as for the update, maybe there are some checks in update.sh that are failing - this was certainly my case, I think, and why emusan's worked - build.prop had some values it didn't like and emusan's golden update removes that check. so maybe try to edit update.sh and remove more conditions that look to be likely culprits...? (haven't looked but maybe it looks at serial/sku/etc.)

(not sure where update.sh logs to - definitely logcat can't see what it's doing, even tho it has plenty of output messages...)
Old 10-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
vicinc
Guru

inserted those.
I got
# ls -l /dev/graphics
ls -l /dev/graphics
crw-rw---- root graphics 29, 2 2011-10-04 23:40 fb2
crw-rw---- root graphics 29, 1 2011-10-04 23:34 fb1
crw-rw---- root graphics 29, 0 2011-10-04 23:34 fb0
#
but eink still not opening books
Old 10-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
vicinc
Guru

Regarding the golden update or any update I think it has to do with the bad sku and bad serial. any idea on how to edit those values?
or edit the golden update?
Old 10-05-2011, 04:42 AM   #13
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
Regarding the golden update or any update I think it has to do with the bad sku and bad serial. any idea on how to edit those values? or edit the golden update?
Would the thread in archive concerning installing backups on another device be of use? If memory serves, it concerned changing the device serial number. Forum memory cheyennedonna, I believe, had the problem.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:51 AM   #14
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

vicinc, sounded like you were planning to try the files from ktwombley's new thread? from his/her blog, sounded like the version of the golden update had less checks in place. (maybe even less than emusan?)

just curious, I tried reading your older threads but couldn't get a good sense of how exactly the reader was broken or if it seemed totally dead. was the screen totally dead at all times, or? for me, the apps themselves wouldn't work, but when booting the ink side would occasionally do its "initializing" flash.

also, in the update.sh for the allmine gapps zip, there looks to be some trickery going on with the serial number, that I hadn't seen before in the standard dingo or ermine scripts. (hilarious how it's actually contained in the framebuffer device - I may be wrong, but I guess that's one way drm and whatnot work with hardware?)
Old 10-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #15
vicinc
Guru

the hellbend golden still did not work with me.
the eink screen is fine. after applying the inserts from your post still did not work for me.
but when going to hibernate the eink was showing the hibernating message that did not work for me. hope somebody figures out proper recovery for this device. I think my issues are with the bad serial bad sku, that is why not letting me to golden update or anything.