Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #181
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Ummm.. OK, seriously, I can only filter my Wish List 80 books at a time. WHAT USE IS THAT? I have 280 books. I need to filter the whole thing.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #182
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
When I was researching the next book in the "In Death"series I noticed a series link was listed in the right hand column, but when I clicked the series link, it didn't look as though they were ordered or even had easy to read numbers associated with the titles.

I need to do more investigating, but got distracted by a lot of loud young adults coming into the house. LOL
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #183
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I have access to a total of 5 Overdrive libraries. The largest and my favorite has switched to this design (Cleveland's). The other 4 still have the old design.

As I grow accustomed to the redesign (and being accustomed is NOT the same as saying I'm growing to like it, let alone love it), I can say IMO:

New design pluses:
  • the new "bookmark" graphic for putting things on the Wishlist saves a click from the old method
  • removing an item from the Wishlist only requires one click (some of the old design sites refresh/reload and take you back to the top of the page, so then you're back to scrolling through what you've already reviewed)
  • I have a feeling that once I get used to all the stuff that's missing/changed, I'll find the Search results filters more useful.

New design negative - corrected:
  • originally, you couldn't search by specific formats in the Advanced Search, but that was fixed later
  • they put the book count back on the Search results page

New design WTFs?!
  • why are the book details (like when the book is available and the name of the publisher) collapsed and below the excerpt?
  • why isn't "available" one of the filters on the Wish List page?

Old design pluses:
  • being able to search by "Add to Cart" (or similar phrasing - it's different on the various sites) to find Wish List items that are available [have to switch to mobile site view to get this back]
  • having a brief description of each book in the search results [have to switch to mobile site view to get this back]
  • smaller thumbnails mean I can see more books in a single glance with less scrolling (this seems to be changing - I'm not entirely sure, but it seems the old design sites have begun using the larger thumbnails lately, too) [have to switch to mobile site view to get this back]
  • being able to see in the search view the number of books the library has available (being 50th in line when the library has 10 copies is significantly different from being 50th in line when the library has only 1 copy)
  • I prefer the ability to use a cart over the "borrow now" option [have to switch to mobile site view to get this back, but then I have to switch back to the regular site to actually download my ePubs]
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #184
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
New design WTFs?!
Made me laugh
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #185
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Mike@OverDrive

The Brooklyn Library requires clicking 'Borrow' twice before being able to download.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #186
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Ok, maybe I am missing this. In the wishlist on BPL, I have to click on each book to see if its available now right? Or is there some way to see what the waitlist is without that. And what exactly does the filter do? I type in a letter and I guess it gives me the book titles and authors that start with that letter?
Am I missing something there too?

I do like that moving stuff from and to the wishlist is just one click on that bookmark.

Filters are nice also.

My local library has not switched yet. I prefer the selection of BPL anyway.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #187
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On a PC, if you hover your mouse over the book or headphone icons (upper right hand corner of book cover) it will tell you availability status. You do need to click the book cover to see number of patrons on wait list.

Quote:
I do like that moving stuff from and to the wishlist is just one click on that bookmark.
Technically, it's two clicks. One to add (or remove)...another to exit confirmation popup.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #188
davem2bits
Enthusiast
davem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windowsdavem2bits format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
On a PC, if you hover your mouse over the book or headphone icons (upper right hand corner of book cover) it will tell you availability status. You do need to click the book cover to see number of patrons on wait list.
Thank you for pointing that out. I guess this version isn't as useless as I thought it was. I noticed that on an ebook, if the book outline in the upper right corner is black instead of light gray, the ebook is available.

Do you know if there is some way to exclude the romance/erotica/drivel that is so prevalent in new additions to libraries since the popularity of Fifty Shades... I don't want to have to wade thru that stuff to find something I want to read.
davem2bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #189
DianNC
Banned

Quote:
Do you know if there is some way to exclude the romance/erotica/drivel that is so prevalent in new additions to libraries since the popularity of Fifty Shades... I don't want to have to wade thru that stuff to find something I want to read.
No. I wish I did as there seems to be a lot of it lately. I just skip past it, but others here might be able to give you a filtering method.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #190
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem2bits View Post
Thank you for pointing that out. I guess this version isn't as useless as I thought it was. I noticed that on an ebook, if the book outline in the upper right corner is black instead of light gray, the ebook is available.

You can sort by category under the New eBooks Link. No way to exclude. I read strictly romance so I only use that category when looking for new books. It may take a bit of time to go through multiple categories but that's the only way I know of.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #191
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I find that doing an advanced search and selecting "literature" as the category rules out some of the real junk.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #192
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Thank you so much. I hovered before to see the full title, but I didn't even notice that tiny icon of an open book in the top right corner. Now that I know what I am looking for. Duh. And if its dark, its available for checkout right away. If its light gray, you can go on hold.

They should list all these things somewhere. I feel like I am hunting for easter eggs.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #193
DianNC
Banned

This explains the major changes...

Old 12-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #194
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
There's a WhisperSync equivalent it sounds like in the vid.

I'm re-reading the "In Death" series since it's been a long while since I've read the paperbacks, and am a bit disappointed #3 is not in Kindle format. Yeah, I can get the epub but still...
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #195
DianNC
Banned

So far, only one book that I've checked out has the 'Read (In Your Browser)' feature. The thing about Brooklyn is they allow a whopping 15-limit checkout and I'm always well below that (can only read so many books in a week), so there may be many more books with that feature that I'm unaware of. (I'm one of those who don't really mind reading a book on the PC, so I'd definitely take advantage of it).