Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Which browser(s) are you using?
Firefox 56 70.89%
Opera 6 7.59%
Chrome 18 22.78%
Internet Explorer 16 20.25%
Safari 6 7.59%
Other 2 2.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Which browser are you using?

Opera? Firefox? Chrome? Something else?

I've been a loyal firefox user for years. I've used opera and liked it, but found I liked firefox more. When chrome came out, I didn't really want to download, because google looks increasingly big-brotherish to me. Well, I gave in just now, and it seems light and breezy and fast.

So which one do you prefer, and why? Any reason to avoid any one of them that you know of?
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Firefox here.
IE at work.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Firefox predominantly. Have used Chrome (on all platforms) but it's...I don't know, there's something about it that doesn't work for me after a little while. Opera is good, but the fonts look horrible in Ubuntu, even with the fixes applied. Safari is a 'meh' experience on windows, but much better in OSX. I've also used Midori on Ubuntu but it crashed a lot. IE in all iterations is a bad joke carried on far too long.

I stick with Firefox because of adblock, no-script and web developer tools. It also 'feels' solid compared to everything else. I've pretty much stopped using Google products, barring their search (which is still the best). My cessation is a mixture of unease at their dominance and just, well, I don't need most of their services.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
I use Firefox
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Firefox predominantly. Have used Chrome (on all platforms) but it's...I don't know, there's something about it that doesn't work for me after a little while. Opera is good, but the fonts look horrible in Ubuntu, even with the fixes applied. Safari is a 'meh' experience on windows, but much better in OSX. I've also used Midori on Ubuntu but it crashed a lot. IE in all iterations is a bad joke carried on far too long.

I stick with Firefox because of adblock, no-script and web developer tools. It also 'feels' solid compared to everything else. I've pretty much stopped using Google products, barring their search (which is still the best). My cessation is a mixture of unease at their dominance and just, well, I don't need most of their services.
Yes, that's what worries me too. Maybe I'm liking chrome because I've been using it for all of 15 minutes, and it's the attraction of the brand new. I'm feeling little pangs of guilt towards firefox already...
Old 07-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Firefox, though I wish it were faster to load up (Thunderbird too .... for my mail)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Yes, that's what worries me too. Maybe I'm liking chrome because I've been using it for all of 15 minutes, and it's the attraction of the brand new. I'm feeling little pangs of guilt towards firefox already...
Chrome has some good features, but I don't think it's all that great. Of course it might be dependent on what OS you're running. I found Chrome much more pleasing on Windows than on Ubuntu.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Firefox - took me ages to let go of IE, but I finally made the break a few months ago.
I liked IE's performance and usability; but it was an untidy beast and left loads of junk behind it.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
omk3
Wizard

Yep, thunderbird here too. But for a gmail account, so it's a compromise
Old 07-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #10
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yep, thunderbird here too. But for a gmail account, so it's a compromise

Old 07-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #11
omk3
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Chrome has some good features, but I don't think it's all that great. Of course it might be dependent on what OS you're running. I found Chrome much more pleasing on Windows than on Ubuntu.
Still windows unfortunately...Maybe one day I'll break free.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Still windows unfortunately...Maybe one day I'll break free.
Nothing unfortunate about it, Windows 7 is pretty damn good and XP isn't terrible either, although I think it gets sluggish with less than 2gb ram. My main reason for using Ubuntu is that it works best on the machines I have available (a couple of them older and with less ram), plus, the Gimp is funky in Windows 7 and I can't get used to it.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #13
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
Firefox. I use Chrome sometimes for moderating a forum I'm a member of (to keep the two id's more distinct) but even though it is light and fast I don't really like the look or layout.

Perhaps it's just because I've put a fair amount of effort into tweaking my FF but I have very few complaints about it and love some of the features. I've even managed to pare the display down so I'm happy with it on my netbook.

The Google aspect also keeps me from totally embracing Chrome. I have these times when I imagine waking up and finding that Google and Amazon control the entire world.
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #14
GeoffC

Hi BexBits welcome to mobileread
Old 07-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #15
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Hi BexBits welcome to mobileread
Thank you--fascinating place with an appealing community -- I'm glad I found you.
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote