Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Miranda View Post
Basically there are two reasons for reading a book - to be entertained or to be informed, neither of which is aided by reading too fast. To continue the candy bar analogy, it's a question of savoring versus gulping. That's not to say the writing shouldn't move along - it should, but that's the writer's responsibility.
Except that one person cannot determine what is "too fast" for another. For me, each book has its own natural "pace" in relation to my average reading speed. Much of it has to do with the author's writing style, and the proportion of action vs. dialog vs. description, and so on.

I'm still waiting for Andy to come clarify if he's actually being badgered or just reading enthusiastic reviews. Part of me wonders if this is the author version of the "humble brag". (Relax, Andy, that's not necessarily a bad thing. In small doses.)
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #17
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Basically there are two reasons for reading a book - to be entertained or to be informed, neither of which is aided by reading too fast. To continue the candy bar analogy, it's a question of savoring versus gulping. That's not to say the writing shouldn't move along - it should, but that's the writer's responsibility.
And just as you nibble away at the candy bar enjoying the flavors of the chocolate and other things in the candy you get little surprises along the course of reading a book. Surprises that you may well miss if you read the book too quickly.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I know! I know! I got a great idea! Lets pick something HIGHLY subjective, HIGHLY individualize, take a stand on it, and tell everyone else that they are wrong. Yeah! That is a great idea.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I know! I know! I got a great idea! Lets pick something HIGHLY subjective, HIGHLY individualize, take a stand on it, and tell everyone else that they are wrong. Yeah! That is a great idea.
Welcome to the Interwebz!!!!
Old 07-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #20
Alyssa Miranda
Connoisseur
Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle and Nook
I concede that CWatkinsNash's post has the right view on this.

In my previous post, rather than "reading too fast" I should have said "speed reading," a fad popular at one time but fortunately no longer in vogue. I was reminded of it by some of the figures cited in the thread.
Alyssa Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
In my previous post, rather than "reading too fast" I should have said "speed reading," a fad popular at one time but fortunately no longer in vogue. I was reminded of it by some of the figures cited in the thread.
Ah, yes, then we are most certainly in agreement. I remember when people were selling "speed reading classes" and such. That never made sense to me outside the realm of "required reading for X". It almost seems like reading for the sake of doing so rather than to experience what one is reading. If I recall, at the time it was so popular, everything was about "We are all so busy and have no time for anything!" Also popular were time management classes, systems, and books.

I can easily go through a book a day, or more, when I'm in a "reading mood", but that has much more to do with my lifestyle than my reading speed.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #22
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used to have a book on 'speed reading.' I don't think I ever found the time to really read it though.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #23
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I used to have a book on 'speed reading.' I don't think I ever found the time to really read it though.

*groan*
Old 07-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #24
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
*groan*
Believe it or not VydorScope I was being serious, though I do admit the chance to make a pun was too much to resist.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #25
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I am one of those scary people. I read incredibly fast. No idea why and I have never had speed reading training.

That is why I like to discover great series that already have a bunch of books written.

I take 8-10 books out from the library at a time and go every week.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #26
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Farman View Post
Anyone else have similar scary examples?
There should be some examples on MobileRead. There are some people here that claim to "easily" read more than 1000 books per year.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #27
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
There should be some examples on MobileRead. There are some people here that claim to "easily" read more than 1000 books per year.
Sure. Reading 2-3 complete books a day is completely doable. You should be able to easily hit umm 530k or so pages in a year. If your average book is 400 pages long say.. that is 1314 books a year. Of course that is assuming you read non-stop 24 hours a day and all that.

So I do not see why you would ever doubt that number.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #28
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Now, the first time we had this discussion (yes, I have a very good memory) your issue was with claims of more than 200 books per year. I do not honestly recall anyone on MR claiming to have read more than 1000. There was some mythical beast that mentioned 730, but I don't think we ever found it.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #29
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Now, the first time we had this discussion (yes, I have a very good memory) your issue was with claims of more than 200 books per year. I do not honestly recall anyone on MR claiming to have read more than 1000. There was some mythical beast that mentioned 730, but I don't think we ever found it.
200 books a year is very doable, I probably did that much, or more as a child. As an adult with family, job, etc... I might get 5-10 in if you only count the ones I read for enjoyment.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #30
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
My memory is at least as good as yours

As Rafiki in the Lion King says: "Look harder..." *Points*

The claimed numbers have been steadily rising since we had that discussion.

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-10-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote