Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Problem converting doc to epub

I have converted a few things with Calibre before on WinXP, I just bought a new computer and now have Win7. I installed Calibre and tried to convert some books from doc format to epub format and it is telling me "no suitable source format can be found"

What does this mean? Why am I getting this message? Does Calibre not work on Win7? Is there another program I can use to convert doc files to epub?

Thanks.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Genuine Word .doc files cannot be converted by Calibre. You should save them as rtf or html and convert that instead.

Note that many files that have the .doc extension are not really Word files, but are rtf files that have been given the .doc extension.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Genuine Word .doc files cannot be converted by Calibre. You should save them as rtf or html and convert that instead.

Note that many files that have the .doc extension are not really Word files, but are rtf files that have been given the .doc extension.
Thanks. I guess these must really be genuine word files and that's why it gives me that error.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #4
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Another option is to use Openoffice.org and convert the file to ODT.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote