Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance novels

Hi there, I am wodering about reading some books from these two series. I know about the Drizz't books by R.A. Salvatore, but was wondering what other books/series were good in the Forgotten Realms universe. I was also wondering whether any of you would recommend the Dragonlance novels, and where should I start with those? I am really looking forward to hearing you suggestions.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
For Forgotten Realms (besides the original Drizzt books); Salvatore's Cleric Quintet's not bad. I liked the Elaine Cunningham books I've read (Counselors & Kings trilogy, Starlight & Shadows trilogy).

For Dragonlance, Weis & Hickman's Dragonlance Chronicles Trilogy for a start.

Those are the ones I remember liking off the top of my head, but it's been a good ten years at least since I've read any D&D books. Might be time to give a few a re-read.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Thanks for your help. Anyone else got any suggestions?
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I am mainly familiar with the Drizzt novels in the Forgotten Realms universe. However, I haven't read them, but I have heard very good things about the Erevis Cale Trilogy by Paul S. Kemp.

The Dragonlance series, I am only familiar with the original trilogy and the second concerning the twins. I remember enjoying them a lot when I was a kid.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I am a big speaker for the Dragonlance novels, and highly recommend them. Chronicles first, then legends and then dragons of summer flame.

The Drizzt books which I read after, I didnt find as good.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I second the Erevis Cale books by Paul Kemp. I'm in the middle of reading them and I like them as much as the "War of the Spider Queen" series [which you should read as well].
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:18 AM   #7
suedenim
Connoisseur
suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.suedenim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
You might want to look at the Eberron setting too but I'd pass over the Dark Sun books.
suedenim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I am a big speaker for the Dragonlance novels, and highly recommend them. Chronicles first, then legends and then dragons of summer flame.

The Drizzt books which I read after, I didnt find as good.
I like them all.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Llandamaar
Llandamaar began at the beginning.

Device: Motorola Xoom Tablet
Can't recommend the Dragonlance series highly enough!
I have read pretty much everything from the series over the years but can strongly suggest:
Dragon Chronicles:
Dragons of Autumn Twilight
Dragons of Winter Night
Dragons of Spring Dawning

Then the Meeting Sextet and Preludes series is a good series of stories outlining the lives of the Chronicles cast before the War of the lance.

Next the Preludes is another great series as it tells of the lives of the villains before the war of the lance.

Legends:
Time of the Twins
War of the Twins
Test of the Twins

Kang's Regiment:
The Doom Brigade
Draconian Measures

Tales Anthologies 1 & 2
Magic of Krynn
Kender, Gullydwarf and Gnome
Love and War
Reign of Ishtar
The Cataclysm
War of the Lance

----------------------
As for Forgotten Realms, a good place to start is:

The Cormyr Saga is very Game of Thrones-y
Cormyr: A Novel
Beyond the High Road
Death of the Dragon

For Elminster (Merlin/Gandalf of the FR world)
Elminster - The Making of a Mage
Elminster in Myth Drannor
The Temptation of Elminster
Elminster in Hell
Elminster's Daughter
Elminster Must Die
Bury Elminster Deep
Elminster Enraged

The Pools Trilogy is a much smaller scale adventure
Pool of Radiance
Pools of Darkness
Pool of Twilight

Shandril's Trilogy is very interesting about a girl with the power to absorb magic and spill it out as Spellfire.
Spellfire
Crown of Fire
Hand of Fire

The Finders Stone Trilogy (a strangely unlinked series but even as stand alone books they're pretty goof but Azure Bonds is the highlight.
Azure Bonds
The Wyvern's Spur
Song of the Saurials
Llandamaar is offline   Reply With Quote