Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #361
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohforf View Post
Here's what's bothering me:
I always turn off my PW when not in use by pressing the power button for 7s. I think it saves more power this way, but I could be wrong. Now, from what I understand, the covers put it to sleep, which means it goes to the screensaver?
If I turn it off and then close the cover, will it stay off, go to sleep or turn itself back on?
With the cover closed, and assuming it goes into screensaver mode, can I turn it off?
Short answer, NO, you cannot turn the Paperwhite off ever. Why? Even when pushing power button for 7 seconds, the PW does NOT turn off. It merely enters sleep mode with a white screen instead of normal screensaver image or ad. The only ways to truely turn off the PW is to remove the battery, or exhaust the battery completely. Both methods are, of course, not recommended.

That said the white screen sleep mode has advantages - it does not show ads, and it can still be entered when screensaver is disabled. And no, disabling screensaver will not prevent PW to wake up with cover magnet, it just won't go to sleep until you push button for the 7 seconds.

Quote:
It's kind of hard for me to accept the auto wake function though. Just because I have the cover is open doesn't mean I want to read something...

Should I look further for some nice non-auto wake/sleep covers or am I being too picky?
In that case you should get a cover w/o magnet, or remove the magnet if you can.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #362
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Here's what's bothering me:
I always turn off my PW when not in use by pressing the power button for 7s. I think it saves more power this way, but I could be wrong.
You are indeed wrong. Holding in the power button for 7s does not turn off the Kindle (despite what Amazon say!); it's simply sleep mode with a blank screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #363
ohforf
ohforf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks DuckieTigger and HarryT for your responses.
I know that pressing the power button for 7 secs doesn't completely turn it off. I should I have phrased my question better. Sorry...
What I meant was that perhaps the kindle uses less power in sleep mode than in screensaver mode (I have the version WITHOUT special offers).

I decided to try a cover with a magnet anyway and If I can't adjust I will either try to remove the magnet or find another w/o one.

I bought one from this ebay store based on the feedback I saw on this thread. I got the black one.
It looks sturdy and is very light. It is fairly easy to put on and to remove. You just have to press one of the corners and then pull from the middle.
It also came with a screen protector which I am currently not using because it makes the screen a bit darker. I guess you can negate the effect by increasing the light intensity.
Overall I am happy with the purchase: 25$ for a cover very similar to the official one.
All that's left is (try to) adjust to using screensaver instead of sleep mode

Once again, thanks to everyone for your help!
ohforf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:54 AM   #364
jippy
jippy got an A in P-Chem.jippy got an A in P-Chem.jippy got an A in P-Chem.jippy got an A in P-Chem.jippy got an A in P-Chem.jippy got an A in P-Chem.jippy got an A in P-Chem.jippy got an A in P-Chem.jippy got an A in P-Chem.jippy got an A in P-Chem.jippy got an A in P-Chem.

I'm using this cover

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_188863_1.jpg

bought from dx.com

quality ok, kindle automatic off when cover close.

not leather.
jippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #365
luxeluxe
luxeluxe began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kledor View Post
My two cases arrived this week: one from googleproduct in black and the other from La Poueze in indigo.

- the googleproduct case with the PW inside is much heavier than the La Poueze + Kindle
How heavy is the googleproduct alone? Is it not less than 3 ounces? I'm iso of a cover, am looking for something light, and was thinking the googleproduct might be good, but now i'm wondering what the weight of it really is.
luxeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #366
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I bought this: http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/228734321.html and I love it, so far.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #367
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
As far as I know, that case does not stay shut using a magnet, does it? It has the sleep/wake magnet, but not a seperate one in the right bezel, like the Kindle case. Is that correct?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #368
barth90
Enthusiast
barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle DX , Paperwhite, Onyx Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by discopig View Post
I bought this: http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/228734321.html and I love it, so far.
I've been using that cover for four months now and absolutley love it.
The cover stays close when you close it. There is no need for a cover magnet .
I like the wake feature when you open the cover.
barth90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #369
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxeluxe View Post
How heavy is the googleproduct alone? Is it not less than 3 ounces? I'm iso of a cover, am looking for something light, and was thinking the googleproduct might be good, but now i'm wondering what the weight of it really is.
Not sure exactly, but it is noticeably lighter and smaller than the official PW cover. It seems to be the exact same cover as the aliexpress one mentioned above.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #370
luxeluxe
luxeluxe began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Not sure exactly, but it is noticeably lighter and smaller than the official PW cover. It seems to be the exact same cover as the aliexpress one mentioned above.
Thanks! So i ended up ordering the blatant knockoff version cuz i love that texture. $14 on aliexpress. i love color and didn't want black but it just looked so good in black i couldn't help myself. Now the wait. . i'll just buy a $3 cover on amz for the interim.

great thread, so helpful. thanks so much.

Last edited by luxeluxe; 05-01-2013 at 07:32 PM.
luxeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:28 AM   #371
madmaxmedia
Connoisseur
madmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony CLIE TG50
Quote:
Thanks DuckieTigger and HarryT for your responses.
I know that pressing the power button for 7 secs doesn't completely turn it off. I should I have phrased my question better. Sorry...
What I meant was that perhaps the kindle uses less power in sleep mode than in screensaver mode (I have the version WITHOUT special offers).
I'm pretty certain no more power is used to display a static screen than a blank screen. How e-ink works is that energy is used to change a page, after that there is no additional power draw to keep displaying the same page. That's why the battery life is superior.
madmaxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:35 AM   #372
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
I think if you turn off the PW by pressing the power button for 7 sec could save some batterie instead of just sending it to the screensaver, cause WLAN/3G is turned off even if not in airplane mode before.

At least my WLAN Scanner can not find my PW on the local networked when switched off by pressing the power button by 7 sec and i think emailed books don't arrive before you turn it on again.

But it's correct that the state of the screen doesn't influence battery life cause thats the advantage of eink.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #373
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
WLAN/3G is turned off even if not in airplane mode before.

At least my WLAN Scanner can not find my PW on the local networked when switched off by pressing the power button by 7 sec and i think emailed books don't arrive before you turn it on again.
Yes I think you are spot on Sischa, this seems to be the only difference between the two sleep modes (screensaver or blank screen). The Wireless/3G connectivity is off with the blank screen, but still on with the screensaver.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #374
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Yes I think you are spot on Sischa, this seems to be the only difference between the two sleep modes (screensaver or blank screen). The Wireless/3G connectivity is off with the blank screen, but still on with the screensaver.
Yes, that's absolutely right.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #375
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
I'm not convinced the official Amazon covers are real leather LOL!
That is my feeling too, especially after I looked at a pic of someone taking the top layer (peeled back) to take the magnet off and it looked fake to me.

I have one, it is nice, but not $40 nice. I have the PW1 with that $40 cover. I just bought the PW2 and I am using my Sony PRS-505 cover, taped a magnet with fabric tape to the bottom left corner of the front, and put velcro to attach to the back. Guess what? I actually like it. Who would have thought?
new is offline   Reply With Quote