Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
DonaldL.
Connoisseur
DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500/300/650, Kobo Aura H2O
Most Y.A. Bought by Adults...

Most Y.A. Bought by Adults; Agent Allegedly Attacked by Spurned Author

Quote:
Over half of Y.A. books bought by adults. A new study from Bowker Market Research backs up what we knew all along—adults remain the most significant driving factor in the popularity of young adult fiction. The research shows that 55 percent of young adult book buyers are over 18. Twenty-eight percent are over 30. And more often than not they're buying the books for their own enjoyment, not as a gift for a young 'un: 78 percent of surveyed adult Y.A. buyers say they intend to read the books they've purchased themselves.
DonaldL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Makes sense. They're generally "easier" reads, so I can see why "older" adults would be into them as much as they are.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
And more often than not they're buying the books for their own enjoyment, not as a gift for a young 'un: 78 percent of surveyed adult Y.A. buyers say they intend to read the books they've purchased themselves.
Some of those adult readers may be screening the book before they pass it along to a child.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've always disliked the Y.A. label. It's the categorizing/shelving/marketing equivalent of a MacGuffin.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-14-2012 at 11:16 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've always disliked the Y.A. label. It's the categorizing/shelving/marketing equivalent of a MacGuffin.
Agreed. It's like with music, I don't care what 'genre' it is, if it's good and brings about a passionate response, then it shouldn't matter what age the person is enjoying it.

For example I thoroughly enjoyed 'Hunger Games' because IMO it was an interesting, well written story. And my 'children' are YA...
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
"YA" is a weird category anyway; I'm not sure exactly what it is supposed to mean, but I think in general it refers to books for adults with themes or stories that teenagers might be interested in. The Hunger Games, for example, has *a lot* of violence in it, obviously, and is not for children (the movie was PG-13, but a movie of the book could easily have been R-rated if the producers hadn't toned the violence down a bit). However, the protagonists are in the YA age bracket, and a lot of their concerns are YA-type concerns.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Makes sense. They're generally "easier" reads, so I can see why "older" adults would be into them as much as they are.
Bingo. When I read for entertainment, I want something that is written in clear English and where the plot development is straight forward. It also makes it easier to get into new genres because fewer assumptions are made of the reader.

A lot of adult books are far too much work to read. I have picked up books where every chapter is written from the perspective of a different character. Quite often the stories told in the initial chapters are so far apart that they may as well be different books. Sorry, but it is too much work to remember all of that. Then there are books that have flotillas of characters. Again, it is too much work to remember all of the characters. I wish writers for adults would realize that they are telling stories, rather than creating worlds.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I wish writers for adults would realize that they are telling stories, rather than creating worlds.
Speak for yourself. Some of us can HANDLE & ENJOY a whole world.But don't get me wrong, half of my reading falls into the YA, and for most of the reasons you mention before my quoting of you.

But that doesn't mean I can't, or won't, enjoy a complex world/series
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Some of those adult readers may be screening the book before they pass it along to a child.
I buy YA for my son. Because he really doesn't have a lot of money--he's too young for a job--and I like to encourage him to read. But statistically that shows up as my purchase.

Then I steal his books and read them

I buy YA for myself because I really enjoy coming of age type stories and YA is full of them.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
"YA" is a weird category anyway; I'm not sure exactly what it is supposed to mean, but I think in general it refers to books for adults with themes or stories that teenagers might be interested in. The Hunger Games, for example, has *a lot* of violence in it, obviously, and is not for children (the movie was PG-13, but a movie of the book could easily have been R-rated if the producers hadn't toned the violence down a bit). However, the protagonists are in the YA age bracket, and a lot of their concerns are YA-type concerns.
My 11-yo really enjoyed the series and the movie. It was one of the two series he read this summer. I think it has a lot to offer all ages.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:00 AM   #11
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I must have been an odd kid, my concerns involved dragonlances, dwarves, and the Majere brothers. They still do.

I don't remember YA fiction when i was a kid. There was childrens books and adult books. The boys my age gravitated towards Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms, the only book that dealt with "issues" was Are You There God, It's Me Margaret.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
I must have been an odd kid, my concerns involved dragonlances, dwarves, and the Majere brothers. They still do.
Guess that makes you 'kind of an odd adult'

(but aren't we all. )
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I buy YA for myself because I really enjoy coming of age type stories and YA is full of them.
interesting. I don't read most YA because, as a rule, I dislike coming of age stories. I tend to find them sad.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #14
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
I don't remember YA fiction when i was a kid. There was childrens books and adult books. The boys my age gravitated towards Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms, the only book that dealt with "issues" was Are You There God, It's Me Margaret.
When I was a kid the YA section was where you would find the Heinlein juveniles and the Darkover books
Old 09-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #15
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Yeah, I think that YA is a "newer" category (10-15 years ago?).
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote