Notices

Old 11-15-2007, 05:19 AM   #1
Tulkas
Enthusiast
Tulkas began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, CyBook Gen3, iPod Touch, PB 360
Top half of screen has gone blank

Ahhhh my Gen3 has gone haywire!!!!

It was working fine until I decided to plug it in for (1) recharge & (2) to see whether downloaded Mobipocket 6.1 would recognise it as a device. (2) was still a no. Anyway safely disconnected device but screen, which had until then been correctly showing the cable connected screen, then went weird ~ bottom half remained on cable symbol, the top went blank.

I've tried switching on/off, resetting and even as far as unplugging the battery but nothing changes it. Bottom half is fine. Top half you can sometimes see ghostly/faint image of what SHOULD be there and on page changes you can see a negative version of page as screen reflashes but thats it

I've emailed Bookeen but wonder if anyone else has experienced this? My initial thought was that screen had failed but brief 'negative' reflash screen would suggest perhaps not. Or could it be a system file has been corrupted somehow?
Tulkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:47 AM   #2
Tulkas
Enthusiast

-deleted-

Last edited by Tulkas; 11-15-2007 at 05:52 AM.
Advert
Old 11-15-2007, 06:33 AM   #3
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
My Cybook has developed a line across the screen it's faint but noticeable,emailed Bookeen last Sunday and still waiting for a reply.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
Tulkas
Enthusiast

I got a virtually immediate reply ~ I did ask the contact@ address to check whether support@ team had received my email as well though.

Sadly any faint hope that the problem was anything other than hardware failure were dashed ... CyBook is on it's way back to Paris to be given the re-soldering of life

Which means, with my iLiad stuck in the Netherlands awaiting a battery transplant and my CyBook out of action, I'm out of eBook devices

For information, even for warranty repairs customer is responsible for shipping costs back to Paris. Thankfully as it weighs virtually nothing this isn't expensive. Bookeen will pay for shipping back to Customer. All customs / duties payable, for those of you outside the EU, are customers responsibility.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
AMT
AMT began at the beginning.

Device: CYBOOK
what happens with the screens?

Too many users are reporting problems with the screens (iliad, Sony, Cybook). This worries me
It's a bad irex's design?
What about quality control?
What about warranty?
AMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMT View Post

Too many users are reporting problems with the screens (iliad, Sony, Cybook). This worries me
What about warranty?
I've noticed the same thing being reported by iLiad, PRS and Cybook owners. Haven't heard if NUUT, Hanlin or STAReBOOK owners are experiencing this.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:01 PM   #7
Tulkas
Enthusiast

My iLiad screen is fine although not as 'white' as the newer generation eInk display on the Cybook. The CyBook lasted all of a week before going wrong ~ I'm sure there's the odd dud in every batch. Although I'd prefer it not to have happened, the speed that Bookeen have responded is a positive sign. According to tracking my CyBook is already in France ... speeding towards Paris ...

With the new Eurostar service only taking 2hr17min from London I should have taken (with my better half) it to Paris myself

Last edited by Tulkas; 11-15-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:11 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
How did you send it and was insurance included in the price or did you have to buy a seperate insurance?

Last edited by tompe; 11-15-2007 at 06:25 PM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
Tulkas
Enthusiast

I just sent it by Royal Mail (UK) Airsure service, with extra compensation ~ this is our national postal services' expediated, international tracked service. It takes on average 2 working days between the UK & rest of western europe but London -> Paris (or any other capital) is even quicker. Cost <£10 including insurance up to £500.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:44 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMT View Post

What about warranty?
My Wife has a Sony Reader PRS-500. I had one. I now have a Sony Reader PRS-505. Neither of these devices has had a screen problem or for that matter a problem at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:47 PM   #11
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
With failures like this, which happen within 30 days of purchase, shouldn't Bookeen pay for the shipping both ways? It seems unfair for someone who has just purchased an expensive device to have to pay more money for a defective unit, so soon.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:49 PM   #12
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
With failures like this, which happen within 30 days of purchase, shouldn't Bookeen pay for the shipping both ways? It seems unfair for someone who has just purchased an expensive device to have to pay more money for a defective unit, so soon.
According to EU law, they should. But also, according to EU law the warranty should last 2 years (not 1 as they say). Cybook buyers must point that out to Bookeen.

Last edited by ricdiogo; 11-15-2007 at 06:54 PM.
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:05 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My Wife has a Sony Reader PRS-500. I had one. I now have a Sony Reader PRS-505. Neither of these devices has had a screen problem or for that matter a problem at all.
And? This says you have not reported a problem. I does not say anything about the probability for a problem to occur.'
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote