Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #16
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
What I was really objecting to was your use of the word 'rip-off', which connotes a scam of some sort. But since the books not available for download are clearly labeled that way, then the obvious solution for you is to avoid those books -without calling a vendor names when they're being above-board about the whole thing.
Okay. I like Google, it's my homepage and my email. I wasn't calling it a scam and I didn't call them names. I understand that it's clearly labeled when books must be read online. This is just the first time I have heard of this kind of thing so let me rephrase:

In my personal opinion, I feel like if I pay for an ebook I should be able to read it on my ereader. I am not comfortable sitting at a computer reading a lengthy novel. But then again, I don't use Kindle for PC for reading free books either so clearly this is not for me.

I do find it interesting that this is being offered and wonder what percentage of people will pay for a service like this. Are the non-downloadable books significantly discounted?

Last edited by wvcherrybomb; 01-07-2011 at 02:16 PM.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #17
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
I still can't understand why Google won't sell books to anywhere outside USA? They say this feature is "coming soon" but unless that "soon" is real soon they will just lose a lot of potential buyers (like me). Also, if I put a few free books on my ebook store I would make sure someone had checked the OCR for glaring typos. (Google please note!) The scanned books on Google Books are not worth having in most cases, even free, but they could at least smarten up the ones on the book store.
Anyhow, it would make a nice little business venture for someone to get the awful Google Epub books, tidy them up and sell them online for a few dollars each.
Google eBooks is still new and from what I read they are still beta testing a lot of features. Google's a mammoth-sized machine, trust me, they'll be international soon and be Amazon's biggest competitor.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #18
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Are they marked only when NOT available for download? I am seeing nothing but a BUY button on the books I've looked for. I am also not seeing anything about the file type available--I apparently need to pay for the book first. Frankly, I find the whole setup really confusing.
If it says "no download files available" beneath the Buy button, then it has to be read in your web browser or a Google Books app. If it says something like "larger screen recommended," it means only scanned pages are available. (I'm not sure if they're available for PDF download as well as through your web browser/Google Books apps or not--I haven't gotten any of these books.) If it says nothing, then Adobe DRM epub and PDF formats are available for download.

I agree that their setup is confusing.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #19
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Are the non-downloadable books significantly discounted?
Not significantly. They're the same price as you can get them elsewhere, if they're available elsewhere. (So go elsewhere for those, of course.) The one I bought that wasn't available from anyone else was $7.99, which I found reasonable.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgwlackey View Post
If it says "no download files available" beneath the Buy button, then it has to be read in your web browser or a Google Books app. If it says something like "larger screen recommended," it means only scanned pages are available. (I'm not sure if they're available for PDF download as well as through your web browser/Google Books apps or not--I haven't gotten any of these books.) If it says nothing, then Adobe DRM epub and PDF formats are available for download.

I agree that their setup is confusing.
Thanks. I ordered a book from them which didn't come with a "warning," but even after I bought it, the site was confusing--I had to first go to my own "library" to find the "read on device" link that finally let me download the file. It's just unnecessarily complicated.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #21
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
The one I bought that wasn't available from anyone else was $7.99, which I found reasonable.
This is the one situation that I can understand buying this type of book for.

I'm really curious about it. I guess it is some sort of rights issue with the publisher that won't allow download? I wonder why they put restrictions like this on some ebooks. Or is it that certain publishers only allow this for all of their books?
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #22
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Just last week I bought "Wolf Hall" and "Juliet, Naked" from Sony's bookstore instead of Google Books specifically because Google--perplexingly--doesn't offer download files for those two titles. What's up with that? Everyone else has them.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I do find it interesting that this is being offered and wonder what percentage of people will pay for a service like this.
Thats exactly what Google and the Publisher's would like to know . Google lets the publisher's decide on the delivery method. I have seen that one book out of a series by one author is not available while the rest of the series is downloadable. it appears to be a bit of market research by the publishers to gauge how well each method does..
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #23
hgwlackey
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
even after I bought it, the site was confusing--I had to first go to my own "library" to find the "read on device" link that finally let me download the file. It's just unnecessarily complicated.
Yes, it is. And every time I buy a book, I have to remember all over again how to get to the downloadable files for it.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #24
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Brooks View Post
Google eBooks is still new and from what I read they are still beta testing a lot of features. Google's a mammoth-sized machine, trust me, they'll be international soon and be Amazon's biggest competitor.
Google services are perpetually in "Beta". It's a running joke in lots of online communities.

They're aware of the joke as they made a special "beta" image for the gmail logo after it came out of beta, for people who "missed" the beta tag.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #25
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Wow, what a big rip-off to have to read some books online. I'm not even sure I would do that if it was free. I know for sure I wouldn't pay for it.
So ... I could pay for the right to read a favorite book for the next 20 years on any internet-connected device, I never have to remember where that book is but just remember my Google username and password? My ebook reader dies, my computer dies, - the books remain. When I die - i pass on my account to a child so it remains. Not a totally bad idea.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #26
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
You're assuming that Google remains forever and ever?
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #27
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
It sucks you can't get it in Canada yet
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote