Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #61
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
No problem to keep it here in the english section.
Well how to make those three files correctly I do not know either. They must be UTF-8 coded and with the correct data.

This is where my knowledge ends, i would really appreciate to have support from the PB programmers side. The best would be a pack of folders with several languages premade. So we could choose and make our dicts alone.

The only dicts I made for me where english and or german.
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #62
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
But if you managed the German-English others shouldn't be much different. Yes, I hope the PB folks are working on this. Aber ich bin sehr froh, jetzt auch Deutsch-Englisch zu haben!
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #63
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Oh, its not the problem of conversion. The DE Folder was premade, thats why it was easy.
Its just the problem of building the correct:
collates.txt, keyboard.txt, and morphems.txt

That is what I could not do for other languages
Old 05-31-2010, 11:59 AM   #64
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

What do you need to create those .txt files for other languages? For Italian, for example, the English keyboard will do, unless you want to include the grave accent, which may not be necessary. There are no letters specific to Italian.

The collates.txt is some kind of code so I have no idea how to make that for Italian.

The morphems.txt is apparently code that will recognize plurals, masc./fem. endings and verb endings and send you back to the main entry, which I guess could get complicated, but the one for English doesn't look all that complicated (though I don't understand it).

Same for French. So Schnitzelbrain, could we cooperate in making those files for Italian or French?

Or if the PB team is working on it -- I have asked this several times without a response -- perhaps they will spare us the frustration and just tell us when we can expect some more dictionaries (into English) and how much if anything they will cost...

Also, as has been mentioned before, monolingual dictionaries would be great, because then you could probably have more entries (words).
Old 05-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #65
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie

right on the point

look what I found, not made by me. still dunno how. But worth to try. I am looking for the Ita as well. As soon as i find the files i will post them.

@mdmorrissey please try them out

One is french the other spanish.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fr.zip (3.9 KB, 822 views)
File Type: zip spa.zip (1.7 KB, 804 views)

Last edited by Schnitzelbrain; 05-31-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: re-packed to zip
Old 05-31-2010, 01:34 PM   #66
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Okay, thanks. With the converter 4.1 posted on the German message board I've tried to convert xdxf versions of the Littré and the Académie française dictionaries available here: http://polyglotte.tuxfamily.org/doku..._dictionnaires

For the Littré, the converter says "this dictionary is not in xdxf format", and for the other two it says "line xx: unclosed xml tag".
Sigh.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #67
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie

When I take a german xdxf and convert it with the french files it does convert without problems. I think its a flaw of the source french xdxf file. So u have to search the net for more xdxf files until u get a correct one.

the french-english from here work perfekt. In the same directory the french - french are user submitted and do not work. I am shure now its a source problem. Maybe we should open a thread with download sources for legal xdxf or dsl formattet dictionarys, which testet working

Last edited by Schnitzelbrain; 05-31-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:21 PM   #68
mdmorrissey
Addict

Schnitzel, I'm sorry to be so obtuse, but the converter.exe command says:

converter.exe DICT_FILE LANG_DIR

How do I make this plus those .txt files you give here come up with the .dic file that I need to paste in my PB?
Old 05-31-2010, 02:23 PM   #69
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post

The collates.txt is some kind of code so I have no idea how to make that for Italian.

The morphems.txt is apparently code that will recognize plurals, masc./fem. endings and verb endings and send you back to the main entry, which I guess could get complicated, but the one for English doesn't look all that complicated (though I don't understand it).

The collates is actually an index for all the forms of a letter. You put all the various forms on one side of the '=' and the plain capital letter on the other side, if I understand it correctly. For Italian you could leave it as it is in English, as it already seems to include every possible form of the letters in the latin alphabet.

Now the morphems is another story. I could try to decipher it, but the problem is, I wanted to convert a greek dictionary, and it seems that the greek morphems are endless. If I can't find a ready list I think I'm going to give up, it's too much work. I suppose that not having a good morphems.txt would be frustrating when looking up for example a verb in third person plural past perfect tense and getting nothing in return.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:26 PM   #70
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know, I realize it's a source problem. The problem is that these dictionaries are anywhere near what can be considered a useful dictionary.

I'll try with the ones you mention, but I suspect they're pitifully small (their file size certainly seems to suggest so). What I'm looking for is an open source French-French dictionary of the size and quality of the Websters 1913 English one. And the Littré seems at least to promise that... but I haven't been able to find a convertible format now for months.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:32 PM   #71
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
Schnitzel, I'm sorry to be so obtuse, but the converter.exe command says:

converter.exe DICT_FILE LANG_DIR

How do I make this plus those .txt files you give here come up with the .dic file that I need to paste in my PB?
Ok, take the *.xdxf file with leftclick then strg-leftclick on the Folder "Fr", u have two files selected now. The xdxf AND the Folder. Then drag both onto the converter.exe. The process will start automatically and the product is a *.dic file.

Thats it
Old 05-31-2010, 03:57 PM   #72
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
I know, I realize it's a source problem. The problem is that these dictionaries are anywhere near what can be considered a useful dictionary.

I'll try with the ones you mention, but I suspect they're pitifully small (their file size certainly seems to suggest so). What I'm looking for is an open source French-French dictionary of the size and quality of the Websters 1913 English one. And the Littré seems at least to promise that... but I haven't been able to find a convertible format now for months.
Well Littré download link is here in the forum

already in .dic format. I hope it is legal to download. If not I appologize and please delete the post, mods

Last edited by Schnitzelbrain; 05-31-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:11 PM   #73
franklekens
Addict

Oh, many thanks. I'm not very good at navigating those Russian forums. And rest assured, as far as I can see the Littré is firmly out of copyright, it's already available (and seemingly legally so) in many guises on the net. A bit like that 1913 Webster's.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:14 PM   #74
mdmorrissey
Addict

Am getting the French files and will try them out. I see this has been in discussion for quite a while!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:29 PM   #75
mdmorrissey
Addict

Schnitzel, du bist gut! Both the French dics work. Hooray. The Littré even has etymologies! I'm probably not up to date, but I don't even know of a program (for free at least) that works this well on a regular computer. If anybody finds an Italian-Eng or Italian-Italian, please post! I wonder if other readers can do this stuff...