Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
gandor62
Connoisseur
gandor62 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Ipad, Kindle 2
Multiple Libraries

Is there a way to run several libraries on one PC. My Wife has a small collection and so do I. So can I just have different libraries show up on the GUI.
gandor62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandor62 View Post
Is there a way to run several libraries on one PC. My Wife has a small collection and so do I. So can I just have different libraries show up on the GUI.
Yes. Use the --with-library= command line option in your shortcut.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I thought the calibre configuration infomration of that sort was stored at the username level (in Windows at least) - so all that is needed is to login with different usernames?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I thought the calibre configuration infomration of that sort was stored at the username level (in Windows at least) - so all that is needed is to login with different usernames?
Perhaps that is the case, it would have to be tested. But, if both users don't have their own OS profile then they would need to specify the library to use.

BOb
Old 03-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
gandor62
Connoisseur

No we dont have seperate profiles, wifes books on her laptop and I want to store on our master PC. We run Windows. I thought there may have been a simple way of selecting libraries as there seems to be a lot of space in the GUI, where the Library name is stored.
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
gandor62
Connoisseur

ok next problem...lol.... I am wanting to transfer my library and the wifes library to the Master PC (Vista) from our laptops. All three have Calibre running on them. I just copied my Data directory from the laptop to the pc and all the metadata and titles all seems screwed up. And the book count seems wrong.
I've done something wrong. The master PC did have some data and ill want to wipe all that. So if I copy from the laptop and create a folder on the PC and point calibre to it, will caliber need anyother data file copied or is the metadata file the one it looks at from the datafolder that contained all my ebooks.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
In a somewhat similar vein, can you have two running instances of Calibre at the same time? Also, I tried searching but came up with nothing. Does Calibre have any minimum system requirements? Would it work ok with a system that only has, say 128MB RAM?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
gandor62
Connoisseur

Ahh think ive solved my problem, Ive copied an older backup folder for calibre from the laptop. Forgot that I created a new folder when ther Epub beta started.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:36 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
In a somewhat similar vein, can you have two running instances of Calibre at the same time? Also, I tried searching but came up with nothing. Does Calibre have any minimum system requirements? Would it work ok with a system that only has, say 128MB RAM?
No and I've never really tested it on bare bones systems. In general calibre is written in a way to minimze developemnt time not system reaources, so I wouldn't be hopeful
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Okay. Thanks. Did some testing on an nLited XP Pro SP3 virtual machine with 128MB RAM. It's not as stripped down as TinyXP but I think I've removed quite a bit of fat.

Added ~500 simple epub files (no images, minimal formatting) and so far so good. Memory usage peaked at ~75MB (forgot to monitor virtual memory) while adding the books but now it's idling at ~25MB (~90MB virtual memory). Available memory dipped to 9MB but at least I didn't get any out of memory errors. I was pretty surprised that adding ebooks to the nLited XP Pro virtual machine felt faster than adding them to my laptop (Vista Home Premium, Pentium Dual-Core T2080 1.73GHz, 2GB RAM). Now that I've pondered it, though, it might just be the connection. My laptop's getting the books via 802.11g wifi and the virtual machine is getting them from the same computer running VirtualPC.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
gt_undergrad
gt_undergrad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle II
Here is a simple way for multiple libraries

Say you have two libraries, your current, and another one you intend to create. Let's say the second library is "Library 2". Make sure it is empty.

Open Calibre, and go to Preferences--> General

Now change the library location to "Library 2". Click OK.

Calibre now will copy all your books from the current library to Library 2. In Calibre, delete the books you don't intend to keep in Library 2. (Don't delete them in the folder --- you need to use Calibre to delete them!)

Now you can add books as you wish in Calibre. Whatever you have added will be in Library 2. To go back to your original library, go to Preferences and change the library to your original library. Note that you may have to quit Calibre first and restart it. Somehow on my computer Calibre only allows me to switch library once without quitting it.
gt_undergrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #12
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_undergrad View Post
Calibre now will copy all your books from the current library to Library 2. In Calibre, delete the books you don't intend to keep in Library 2. (Don't delete them in the folder --- you need to use Calibre to delete them!)
No! DANGER! Calibre will MOVE the books to the new library. If you delete them, they are gone. POFF!

Instead:

Copy the folder Calibre Library. The copy may be named "Calibre Library (copy)".

Then create a new shortcut for calibre, using this command:

calibre --with-library="Calibre Library (copy)"

Start Calibre using the new shortcut and verify in Preferences that you are using the copy.

Start removing/adding/experimenting.

Edit: Updated to 0.7.9 and the Preferences setting for the library is gone... Good!

Last edited by Adoby; 07-18-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:39 AM   #13
gt_undergrad
gt_undergrad began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
No! DANGER! Calibre will MOVE the books to the new library. If you delete them, they are gone. POFF!

Instead:

Copy the folder Calibre Library. The copy may be named "Calibre Library (copy)".

Then create a new shortcut for calibre, using this command:

calibre --with-library="Calibre Library (copy)"

Start Calibre using the new shortcut and verify in Preferences that you are using the copy.

Start removing/adding/experimenting.

Edit: Updated to 0.7.9 and the Preferences setting for the library is gone... Good!
Hi Adoby:

I'm using Calibre 0.6.38, and the scheme I posted has worked flawlessly. Calibre simply made a copy of my library when I change the preference setting to a different library. Of course, copying it first will be safer if you are not sure. In fact I have three library now and they all work flawlessly.

My feeling is that in this version (0.6.38) at least whenever a library is given Calibre will check to see whether it has a database file. If it doesn't, it will copy all books into the new library. If it already has one, it will just open what is already in there.

Thanks!

GT
gt_undergrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_undergrad View Post
My feeling is that in this version (0.6.38) at least whenever a library is given Calibre will check to see whether it has a database file. If it doesn't, it will copy all books into the new library. If it already has one, it will just open what is already in there.
IIRC changing the library path does MOVE the library not copy it. Of course, it has been quite a while since I have used that feature... when I moved my library into my Dropbox.

BOb
Old 07-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As of 0.7.9 multiple library management is much easier (you can switch/move libraries by clicking the calibre button on the toolbar)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote