Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #181
O-Tello
O-Tello began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Just to make sure I understood the instructions correctly. Kindle 4NT. When speaking about the 5-way down button you mean the "big" button in the middle of the Kindle. And "down" means the side that is pointing towards the "end" of the Kindle (where the power button is)?
O-Tello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #182
elbirch86
elbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 4 Black
Ok, i have tried again today to boot from CD Rom but got the same as when tried wit Dvd come up saying

Boot from CD:
Not boot device available, press enter to retry
Sata-0: Installed
Sata 1: Installed
Sata 4: Installed
Sata 5: None

With the Usb stick i just got Boot error

any help would be appreciated thank you
elbirch86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #183
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
That depends on the PC you are trying to boot with the CD/DVD -
And you included no information about your PC or the settings of its BIOS.

Translation: Impossible to answer.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #184
elbirch86
elbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheeseelbirch86 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 4 Black
Hi sorry its Dell PC running Windows Vista bios is set to boot from hard disk, but changed it to boot from CD Rom when trying to boot
elbirch86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #185
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hmmm... That is odd.

I can't think of a single good reason.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #186
O-Tello

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Tello View Post
Just to make sure I understood the instructions correctly. Kindle 4NT. When speaking about the 5-way down button you mean the "big" button in the middle of the Kindle. And "down" means the side that is pointing towards the "end" of the Kindle (where the power button is)?
Anybody who can help? Seriously, I feel like an idiot asking that. But I cannot access the USB downloader mode. Am I doing anything wrong? I follow exactly the steps that are listed in Kubrick. Is there a specific amount of time I have to wait for each step when activating USB downloader mode? Is there anything I did not recognize? Any help is gladly appreciated!
Old 03-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #187
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Tello View Post
Anybody who can help? Seriously, I feel like an idiot asking that. But I cannot access the USB downloader mode. Am I doing anything wrong? I follow exactly the steps that are listed in Kubrick. Is there a specific amount of time I have to wait for each step when activating USB downloader mode? Is there anything I did not recognize? Any help is gladly appreciated!
Yes, the DOWN button is the button at the bottom of the 5-way controller ("south" button, if that makes more sense). Make sure that you are following the instructions *exactly*, i.e.

- press and hold the power button until the LED turns off.
- keep the power button pressed, and in addition, press the "down" button.
- release the power button.
- release the "down" button.

Unless your Kindle has some kind of hardware defect (like the down button not working at all), this *does* work, and *will* put the device into USB downloader mode.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #188
O-Tello

Thx for verifying! I do exactly as written by you. But Kubrick doesn't give me any feedback. It's waiting for the device and nothings happening anymore... But I keep on trying and keep my fingers crossed that the problem is in front of the computer. :-)
Old 03-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #189
O-Tello

It worked. Problem was the computer... For some reason it didn't recognized the Kindle properly. I tried it with another machine. It worked without any problem. Thx so much for your support!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #190
wolfdingo
wolfdingo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 5
flashed.... but repair need again

kubrick is really helpful, useful and convenient tool.
But... After debricking (kubrick wrote that kindle NT is debricked) Kindle started to reload and error message about Repair.
What is wrong and how it can be cured?
wolfdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #191
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Err... more need a bit more information than you have provided to "guess"

Did you mangle the FAT system files? Isn't there like 2 extra options to cover such eventualities?

Did you try them?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #192
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdingo View Post
But... After debricking (kubrick wrote that kindle NT is debricked) Kindle started to reload and error message about Repair.
Zero the re-try counter in /var/local
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #193
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Select the option to delete the internal partition in Kubrick - this will lose all settings (but not the documents).

Or, if you're an advanced user, you can SSH in (while in diags) and delete the /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts file, as knc1 suggested. The next version of Kubrick will do that automatically, but that version isn't ready yet.

EDIT: /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts is for the Kindle Touch - the correct file on the K4 is /var/local/system/.framework_reboots.

Last edited by ixtab; 03-18-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #194
wolfdingo
wolfdingo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 5
problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Select the option to delete the internal partition in Kubrick - this will lose all settings (but not the documents).

Or, if you're an advanced user, you can SSH in (while in diags) and delete the /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts file, as knc1 suggested. The next version of Kubrick will do that automatically, but that version isn't ready yet.

EDIT: /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts is for the Kindle Touch - the correct file on the K4 is /var/local/system/.framework_reboots.
thanks, this helps. ixtab, do you accept donation? I believe your efforts and advises should be rewarded.
wolfdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #195
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
thanks, this helps. ixtab, do you accept donation? I believe your efforts and advises should be rewarded.
Thank you very much for the appreciation!

Yes, I used to accept donations. And I have used some of them to "stock up" my Kindle inventory (so thanks again to everybody who donated!)

At this time, I'm forwarding all donations to a literacy project in Laos (which is why my website is also pointing there).

Long story short: Yes, please DO donate - but don't give your money to me personally. Give it to a project that is so much more important than I am, and where every single donation - even 2 $ - actually does make a change for the better:

Big Brother Mouse - A book for every child

Full disclosure: No, I'm not affiliated in any way with Big Brother Mouse or the Laos Literacy Project. I'm simply a guy who, while spending some time in Laos, fell in love with the people there. And I know that every single dollar invested in education there is worth it, and will bring happiness to many more people than just myself.

Please do donate if you find Kubrick helpful. And visit Laos if you get the chance - it's a beautiful country with wonderful people.