Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #76
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Yes, it's true, they are awful. But I thought they were fun to hate. And I actually liked the ending. I am someone who hated the ending of Into the Woods, so if you've read that one, just know that the ending is nothing like that. Gone Girl was one of my favorites of 2012: not great literature, just a very fun read.
eP
Great summary. I agree with your statements. I thought the twists and turns were more fun as the true personalities of the characters were revealed. The ending didn't bother me either. I understand why people don't like it, but it does fit and the author was intending to shock.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 01-11-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #77
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Yes, it's true, they are awful. But I thought they were fun to hate. And I actually liked the ending. I am someone who hated the ending of Into the Woods, so if you've read that one, just know that the ending is nothing like that. Gone Girl was one of my favorites of 2012: not great literature, just a very fun read.

eP
The "not great literature" part kept this page-turner from my list. The twists of the plot were fantastic, but I thought the writing was clunky and the male perspective missed the mark. It didn't help that I read it after reading Edith Wharton, who captured the essence of a trapped man perfectly in Ethan Frome.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #78
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
The "not great literature" part kept this page-turner from my list. The twists of the plot were fantastic, but I thought the writing was clunky and the male perspective missed the mark. It didn't help that I read it after reading Edith Wharton, who captured the essence of a trapped man perfectly in Ethan Frome.
True. I think that illustrates the point that several people have made that they didn't have any big 5 star reads this year that were life changing or however the OP more eloquently phrased it. Certainly I feel that way. That initially made me sad upon reflection. However I read many books that made me think critically even if I rated them as 4 rather than 5 stars. Most of them were older and I noticed I didn't read that many books published in 2012 this year except fiction thrillers. But, sometimes it's nice to have some entertaining reads mixed in with the literary greats. I just finished this book where the character was really shallow and the writing was not that deep too and I don't plan to continue with the series, but it sure did make me laugh and smile while I was wrapped up miserably under a blanket sick last weekend.

I must go add Ethan Frome to my TBR list! Sounds like I missed a good read in last month's book club selection.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #79
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
What are you posting with Bookworm girl? It's causing the site to display in .mobi/mobile format.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #80
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Maybe because I am posting from the mobile website? It's how I do the majority of my posts, but nobody has ever commented before. It looks normal to me if I look at the regular, non-mobile website so I don't know why it shows mobile for you.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #81
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know why either, but I've brought it up many times. If the last post in a thread is from a/some/?? it displays as mobileread.mobi instead of mobileread.com ....
Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #82
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
For fiction, I loved The Terror by Dan Simmons. Oddly, most of my favorite ebooks last year were non-fiction, and I listened to audiobooks vs. read the first three:

Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World, by Michael Lewis
All the Devils Are Here: The Hidden History of the Financial Crisis, by Bethany McLean & Joe Nocera
Polio: An American Story, by David M. Oshinsky
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:26 AM   #83
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I read quite a few amazing books last year, and can't decide which is the best. Can I recommend them all?

Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck): classic, quite short, beautiful, humane.

The Return of the King (JRR Tolkien): classic, decent length

Sandman: The Dream hunter (Neil Gaiman, illustrated by Yoshikata Amano): Gaiman never fails to come up with strange stories.

Heir of Novron (Michael J. Sullivan): the last of Riyria Revelations (trilogy, fantasy). Satisfying ending. Sullivan has a way to make you care for the characters.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog (Muriel Barbery): great story about people and appearance.

All Quiet on the Western Front (Erich Maria Remarque): a classic about WW1 from a German soldier's pov.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #84
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Chi Cygni Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
It doesn't need to come out this year. Just the best you read in 2012.
Cold Days by Jim Butcher.

Wouldn't this make a nice Avatar for you?

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:58 AM   #85
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
I read quite a few amazing books last year, and can't decide which is the best. Can I recommend them all?

Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck): classic, quite short, beautiful, humane.

The Return of the King (JRR Tolkien): classic, decent length

Sandman: The Dream hunter (Neil Gaiman, illustrated by Yoshikata Amano): Gaiman never fails to come up with strange stories.

Heir of Novron (Michael J. Sullivan): the last of Riyria Revelations (trilogy, fantasy). Satisfying ending. Sullivan has a way to make you care for the characters.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog (Muriel Barbery): great story about people and appearance.

All Quiet on the Western Front (Erich Maria Remarque): a classic about WW1 from a German soldier's pov.
I loved loved loved Of Mice and Men. Fantastic book. Haven't read any of his others yet, but that will change I'm sure.

Eventually I'll read All Quiet on the Western Front. Never got around to it for some reason.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:27 AM   #86
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

Wouldn't this make a nice Avatar for you?

I had it, at the very beginning. Exactly this picture. But now I "have" such nice hairstyle and oh so pwetty (and intellectual you see)
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #87
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
I had it, at the very beginning. Exactly this picture. But now I "have" such nice hairstyle and oh so pwetty (and intellectual you see)
Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #88
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I loved loved loved Of Mice and Men. Fantastic book. Haven't read any of his others yet, but that will change I'm sure.

Eventually I'll read All Quiet on the Western Front. Never got around to it for some reason.
That reminds me, I started The Grapes of Wrath last year too, but wasn't fully prepared for it so I stopped at 40%. I should read Cannery Row this year... hopefully...

Our tastes differ (you like Tender is the Night while I don't) but I think you'll enjoy All Quiet. That book is strangely compelling, considering its bland plots
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #89
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Our tastes differ (you like Tender is the Night while I don't) but I think you'll enjoy All Quiet.
I think we've come together on books enough in the past. However you're right - I did like Tender is the Night more than you did.

When I was younger, All Quiet of the Western Front seemed like it was going to be a tedious read. But I've changed quite a bit since then and I think I'd really enjoy it now.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #90
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
That reminds me, I started The Grapes of Wrath last year too, but wasn't fully prepared for it so I stopped at 40%. I should read Cannery Row this year... hopefully...

Our tastes differ (you like Tender is the Night while I don't) but I think you'll enjoy All Quiet. That book is strangely compelling, considering its bland plots
Everyone should read Cannery Row this year.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote