Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What are your views on illegal copying?
All illegal copying of books is wrong 43 13.78%
It's OK to copy a book that is Public Domain in a different country 134 42.95%
It's OK to copy a book if I bought it new in print (I've paid the author) 172 55.13%
It's OK to copy a book if I own it in print (I own a paid-up copy) 181 58.01%
It's OK to copy a book that is not published electronically (I can't buy it) 126 40.38%
It's OK to copy a book that is not published in my country (I can't buy it here) 125 40.06%
It's OK to copy a book if the author is dead 79 25.32%
It's OK to copy a book if I think that the author is rich 19 6.09%
It's OK to copy a book from mainstream publishers 17 5.45%
It's always OK to copy (information wants to be free) 61 19.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #31
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Interesting poll questions.

One option I don't see is "It's OK to copy a book so that I can use my already paid-for electronic version on a different (or incompatible) device." (For example stripping DRM so I can put a Kindle book on my Sony). I think that's an important omission because very few people will be opposed to that and so it helps show that there really is a continuum and that very few people are going to be always on one side or the other.

[SNIP]
That particular example is arguably legal in the US. It's also arguably illegal in the US. Lacking clarification from the courts, and by formal written advice-of-counsel,* I consider DRM-stripping and format shifting to be legal. (Only for personal use of legitimately acquired content, of course!) So that left me choosing "All illegal..." as my poll choice.

But it's important to note that there are grey zones where legality is not entirely clear! So even a poll like this one doesn't quite cover the spectrum fully.

Xenophon
* Yes, I have formal written legal advice from an extremely eminent legal expert that DRM-stripping and format shifting of legit content for personal use is legal. I even paid a nominal sum for that advice. Seminars on legal issues sometimes provide interesting side benefits...
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
Rather than get into debates about what should be right and wrong, surely it is enough to know that laws change depending on where (and when) you live, to reject the idea that "if it is not legal to do something and you do it then it is wrong".
Not if one's viewpoint is simply that it's wrong to break the law.

I don't hold that view, I should add, but I know that it is a not uncommon viewpoint.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #33
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Case closed, no discussion, it is cut and dried - if it is not legal to do something and you do it then it is wrong.
Does that mean you think gay sex was wrong for many years, and is now not-wrong? Is it wrong to be Christian in a country where it's forbidden? Was it wrong for the underground railroad to help slaves escape their legal owners?

In many cases, laws are challenged by breaking them. If enough people don't have a problem with breaking a law, that shows that public opinion about "what is wrong" has shifted faster than the laws can change--or that the laws are controlled by people who have resources to promote their own interests, regardless of what the public believes.

I'm not saying "ebook sharing is okay;" just pointing out that "illegal = morally wrong" has some serious problems.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #34
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not if one's viewpoint is simply that it's wrong to break the law.

I don't hold that view, I should add, but I know that it is a not uncommon viewpoint.
What I was suggesting was that I think, if most people stopped to think about it, that they would not really hold this viewpoint. For example, what if something that they approved of became illegal when legislation was passed - would they really feel it was wrong as a result? What if they go on holiday to another country - do their ideas of right and wrong change with the laws applicable to them on their travels as the juristiction changes?

It is, of course, possible to hold this view - that obedience to the law is the sole (or an over-riding) arbiter of wrongness, but I doubt that any sane person actually holds this view.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #35
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Great survey

I looks as if there is some consensus around:

- if it's public domain somewhere, then I'm fine; how can it be PD in country X but not country Y?
- if you've made it impossible for me to obtain it "legally", then I'll use my initiative
- if I've already paid for it, I shouldn't pay again

The first two ring true, the last one makes me pause. A paperback is not the same as the hardback which is not the same as a special edition or the eBook. I am not sure I can demand a second copy just because I paid for the first.

However, here I have a personal parallel with music. If a remastered version with a digital booklet of an old favourite appears on iTMS, I'll buy it - extra value, I'll pay for that. Equally, if an album appears cheaply that I haven't yet ripped from *my* CD, then I'll buy that too - inexpensive way of saving labour. So, forget the row over the $9.99 or $19.99 bestsellers - if you want me to pay for your extensive back catalogue, make it cheap, and then I would never even consider copying it from elsewhere using the "I already own it" excuse.

As for restricting books to geographies - currently I can work around that. If you close that door (and don't make them available in my country) - please don't be cross when I make alternative arrangements!

Publishers...it's up to you

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #36
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post

Yes I'm a pirate, but not always by choice.

Being a pirate (or anything for that matter) is always by choice.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #37
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Being a pirate (or anything for that matter) is always by choice.
Tell that to the press-gangs!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #38
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
It's OK to copy a book that is not published in my country (I can't buy it here)
Does this question assume we cannot purchase it from another country, for example if geographical restrictions prevent you buying it there _and_ it's not published in your country?
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #39
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Does that mean you think gay sex was wrong for many years, and is now not-wrong? Is it wrong to be Christian in a country where it's forbidden? Was it wrong for the underground railroad to help slaves escape their legal owners?

In many cases, laws are challenged by breaking them. If enough people don't have a problem with breaking a law, that shows that public opinion about "what is wrong" has shifted faster than the laws can change--or that the laws are controlled by people who have resources to promote their own interests, regardless of what the public believes.

I'm not saying "ebook sharing is okay;" just pointing out that "illegal = morally wrong" has some serious problems.
Good Lord man! Where do you get such RADICAL ideas!!!! Karma to you my friend!

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 02-19-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #40
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Theft is theft, dress it up anyway you like, in the end we all have to live with how we act/behave,

It upsets me that people who moan at publishers cheating them ?, are then so happy to take from an author, without paying even a token amount ???

In the end we have to do what we believe is right, and I know what I truly believe,

Last edited by Kevin2960; 02-19-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #41
Ben Thornton
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
Theft is theft, dress it up anyway you like
Of course theft is theft, and murder is murder, and making an illegal copy is making an illegal copy.

This emotive language is not appropriate. If I consider my posts as my children, and anyone who disagrees with me as molesting my posts, should I refer to their actions as child molesting? Might that upset them? It would be inappropriate because what people mean by child molesting is different to what they are doing. And what people mean by theft is different to, for example, downloading a copy of a book you own on paper in contravention of copyright laws (if that even does contravene them, IANAL).
Quote:
It upsets me that people who moan at publishers cheating them ?, are then so happy to take from an author, without paying even a token amount ???
Often, people would love to pay - especially a "token amount" - but there may be no official published version, or geo restrictions. Or maybe they feel that, having bought the paper book, they have already paid the author.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #42
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
Theft is theft, dress it up anyway you like, in the end we all have to live with how we act/behave,,
And things can be morally wrong without being theft. It might be morally wrong because it is copyright infringement for exemple.

And copyright infringment is not theft. I wish people could stop repeating these propaganda talking points that copyright infringement is theft. I might begin to suspect that people are payed for it...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #43
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
And things can be morally wrong without being theft. It might be morally wrong because it is copyright infringement for exemple.

And copyright infringment is not theft. I wish people could stop repeating these propaganda talking points that copyright infringement is theft. I might begin to suspect that people are payed for it...

It is theft, someone loses out, it is wrong, but we still have to do what we believe is right
Old 02-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #44
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Sorry, case isn't closed. What you are describing is an 'unlawful' act, whether it is morally wrong or right is up for debate. ...

No, they don't 'deserve' anything. They can try for monetary compensation by the selling of their goods or services, but they do not 'deserve' anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Does that mean you think gay sex was wrong for many years, and is now not-wrong? Is it wrong to be Christian in a country where it's forbidden? Was it wrong for the underground railroad to help slaves escape their legal owners? ...

You are both correct, I misspoke (typed). I should have said that if something is against the law then it is illegal to do it, not necessarily "wrong" to do it. And, Moejoe, you're right also, "deserve" was not the best word either. This, is further illustration of why I was never on the debate team

I will stand by my comments though that regardless of the justification people may think they have, performing an illegal act is still an illegal act. Regardless of whether or not the person performing the act thinks they have some moral imperative to right some perceived wrong. Sure some great things have been accomplished by some great people who did things that, at the time were illegal. I would submit though that most of those were done for issues that had far deeper meanings and implications than whether or not I think I should be allowed to copy a book I already own - which, by the way I do, I remove the DRM from all my books and make a back up copy.

This is a big difference from stealing though which is what is you are doing if you find a copy of book that is otherwise intended to be purchased and you download it without paying for it.

Last edited by dsvick; 02-19-2010 at 01:04 PM.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #45
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
This is a big difference from stealing though which is what is you are doing if you find a copy of book that is otherwise intended to be purchased and you download it without paying for it.
True !