Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #331
mallums
Enthusiast
mallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheesemallums can extract oil from cheese

Device: KT4
PS3 OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwolfi View Post
The PS3 isn't linux based, sadly.
. . .
So it had linux support. However all the software you normally run on a ps3 (games etc) aren't running on linux but on a Sony proprietary OS which exposes C APIs to developpers. Linux was running virtualized on this OS in a way
The PS3 OS is based on FreeBSD and other software, including some GNU software. The Linux option was actual Linux on the actual hardware; however, to boot it, you had to chainload from the firmware. When the firmware was updated, the dual-boot capability was removed.
mallums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:47 PM   #332
cmolinap
Enthusiast
cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.cmolinap knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Touch/Mini
Yes, I am. But I'm using a ubuntu derivate: Xubuntu 32 bits, actually version 13.10, waiting for 14.04 LTS. Eee PC 702SD, 1 GB Ram + 8 GB SSHD + 7" display.

Pls, your comments are welcome.

cmolinap
cmolinap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #333
dspence
dspence began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
On June 15, 2011, George Talusan, a Kobo developer Intern posted on this thread a link to a Linux build of Kobo Desktop: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2183775/kobo-desktop.deb . This URL has been mentioned in a number of messages on this thread since. However, when I try to download it now, I get a 404 Not Found error. Does anyone know what happened to it? Is there a newer Linux build of Kobo Desktop anywhere?
dspence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #334
devendradave
devendradave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle,Kobo
Kobo For LInux

Hello All,
Is there any plan to release the Kobo For Linux with newer verison. The earlier version link is not working and giving 404.

Please do reply.

Thanks
Devendra
devendradave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:00 AM   #335
samygalaxy
samygalaxy began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura H2O
would love a linux release

All in the title... (i am on fedora 19 -64bit).
samygalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2014, 01:52 AM   #336
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I've had my Glo two years and never once had any need for the desktop software.

Everything I've needed to do can be done directly from the device itself via WiFi, or else with Calibre and ADE 1.72 running in Linux.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:07 AM   #337
samygalaxy
samygalaxy began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura H2O
calibre is just fantastic.

Hello,

Thank you for your post. After trying the kobo desktop in windows, with the hope that it could help to manage the collections on the device (what it does not really), I installed calibre (the version from their website, not a linux distribution package), and calibre is just fantastic. It does everything I need to manage my ebooks. And it runs smoothly in linux. I will probably make a donation to the project.

PS: anyway, let's remind to software companies every time we can the existence of linux users
samygalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #338
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
If you had installed Calibre from linux distribution package, Calibre would have told you update was available providing link to latest update. I don't install every weekly update if it doesn't seem to be needed.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #339
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The Kobo Desktop for Linux was an experimental build back in the very early days of Kobo. Unfortunately, what support existed for it waned quite early.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:39 AM   #340
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I've had my Glo two years and never once had any need for the desktop software.

Everything I've needed to do can be done directly from the device itself via WiFi, or else with Calibre and ADE 1.72 running in Linux.
Hello everyone,

if I decide to take advantage of this great offer (30€ put on one's reward account if a Kobo ereader is bought by August 30th), I will find myself in a situation with a Linux computer and no WIFI to set up the device. I may be able to access some hotspot, but only the ones were one needs to fill in a login and a password in order to get access. I believe that kind of connection won't work with a set up process.
I think that I can sideload the newest firmware (I'm thinking Glo HD here), but can I force manually the references to my Kobo account?

So far, I'm putting several books on my Mini and when I visit my parents I sync everything. I will be able to do the same thing with a new ereader, but I won't be at my parents' in a while.

Is there a working version of the Linux version of the Kobo desktop? I'm using (x)ubuntu 15.04.

Thanks in advance
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #341
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you know what to put in the users table... if you already have another Kobo you could just copy it over entirely (including .kobo/KoboReader.sqlite)

If you have a smartphone you could do it via tethering

Not sure about hotspot access for registration, but in general Kobo (web browser) supports hot spot login forms, it might work after all, worth a try in any case

If you have Windows in a VM you can do it all via USB passthrough, I update my parent's GPS navigation device that way, it only comes with Windows software to update things

Last edited by frostschutz; 08-26-2015 at 10:15 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:27 PM   #342
Akk
Akk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Samhy: This thread has info on what to put in the database to use it without registering: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171664 (the reply from rashkae).
Disclaimer: I haven't tried it (I registered mine over wi-fi) but it looks straightforward.
Akk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #343
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akk View Post
what to put in the database to use it without registering
And if you note down your real account details you can switch accounts this way w/o resetting the database. (But it messes up your sync'd collections badly if you actually do use several accounts this way).
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #344
macsek
eReader fan
macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Currently using Kindle PaperWhite 4 /32. Also have a Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Not sure about hotspot access for registration, but in general Kobo (web browser) supports hot spot login forms, it might work after all, worth a try in any case
I have set up some kobo eReaders that way, it worked. Internal web browser showed hotspot login page, I was able to enter login credentials and the eReaders set up nicely.
Later when I realized I need to enter login data many times I simply used my mobile phone tethering and set to no password. It does cost a downloaded firmware for every device registered this way, however.
macsek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:53 PM   #345
macsek
eReader fan
macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.macsek knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Currently using Kindle PaperWhite 4 /32. Also have a Kobo Aura One
To be on topic: I also like the option to have "everything" in linux but kobo desktop was never missing for me.
macsek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop, kobo, linux, software