Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
SarahW
SarahW began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Red face K2 Text to Speech

Hello. I'm sorry if this has been asked before; I tried the search but didn't find an answer. My hubby bought me a Sony PRS-600 but I wanted the Kindle. Before I return the Sony, I have a question about the Kindle "text to speech" function. Would it be relatively easy to use the Kindle when on a treadmill, etc. and utilizing TTS? I want to be able to go for a walk or whatever and listen to a book.

Please help this clueless noob make a decision. Thanks.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I would imagine it would be just as easy as an MP3. keep in mind that not all books have this ability if the author has asked for it to be turned off. I actually prop my K1 up on the stationary bike and the treadmill and read while working out
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
SarahW
SarahW began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Thanks, Kindlekitten! I have tried propping a book up on my treadmill, but for some reason I can't keep focused on the page while walking and I keep losing my place.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
you just have to develop floaty eyes. but I have read paper books for years in a variety of situations... walking, horseback riding, boating...
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Thanks, Kindlekitten! I have tried propping a book up on my treadmill, but for some reason I can't keep focused on the page while walking and I keep losing my place.
What I do is:
- set text size to a very large size
- put it in landscape orientation
- use earbuds/headphones (lest sound get drowned out)
- turn on TTS

With the large text, I can read the text without glasses, and I can glance down occasionally and follow along with the TTS (when it mispronounces something etc.). So it works pretty well.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
i could not imagine trying to read and run at the same time
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote