Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Device limitation on Kindle Books

I just posted a (rather long) post on what appears to be a new 5-device limit on DTP/independent author books that are in the Kindle store. I won't re-post it here, due to it's length, but would appreciate it if any authors here would take the time to read it and leave a comment there (or here). Readers are, of course, also invited to do so, as this limitation may affect many of you, as well.

Device Limited Kindle Books

Thanks in advance,
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I just noticed this this morning with one of the 99 cent books I think you posted about. I did a random sampling of new releases and couldn't find the same notation.

Edit: BTW, the flash animation you have of the DX is blocking some of the text in FireFox, so I can't read it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	share limit.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	32423  

Last edited by daffy4u; 07-16-2009 at 01:27 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I just noticed this this morning with one of the 99 cent books I think you posted about. I did a random sampling of new releases and couldn't find the same notation.

Edit: BTW, the flash animation you have of the DX is blocking some of the text in FireFox, so I can't read it.
Thanks, I removed the flash completely
Old 07-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Thanks!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
ddoyle777
ddoyle777 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
I think this is going to be a bigger and bigger deal over time as we upgrade/update our Kindles. I started out with a Kindle 1, bought a Kindle 2, was given a Kindle DX and also use my iphone. So I'll start to hit the wall if I upgrade to the Kindle 3 (or Kindle Color) and won't be able to use the books I've bought. I can't imagine the Kindle support folks will be able to keep up with the demand to change the 250 or so books I've bought as this spreads through the web and millions of books need to be updated to allow new Kindle access.

Maybe the thing that will kill the Kindle is that people like me will stop upgrading simply to keep the books they've purchase. I have plenty of academic reference books on my kindle so it's not like leaving behind novels that I won't read again. DRM strikes again!

I don't really want to move back to deadtree books, but I'll do that if I find I can no longer use my Kindle books because the publisher/Amazon doesn't make allowances for tech upgrades.
ddoyle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2009, 05:43 PM   #6
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Simultaneous seems to be the word people are ignoring.

si·mul·ta·neous
1 : existing or occurring at the same time : exactly coincident
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Yeah, it says simultaneous. But that isn't how it works, in practice. It's six (or five, if it's by an indie author) total devices. The license stays with the device, even after the books are removed, even if the device is de-registered. There really is no method of releasing the license, as you would do at, say, fictionwise, where you can just change your PID's and re-download a book.