Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #226
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsy View Post
Thanks for this. When holding your thumb down to invoke the jailbreak install you have to do it in portrait mode - I had it in landscape and I guess it was looking for a press on the wrong part of the touchscreen.
The video in the first post is pretty clear about where on the device to press.
Did you watch it?

The JB install is triggered by a **PHYSICAL** device screen position.
Not by anything displayed **ON** the screen.

Does the "Kindle" printed on the large margin of the device change its **PHYSICAL** position (relative to the device) when you rotate the display orientation?

Last edited by knc1; 12-26-2012 at 06:25 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #227
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The video in the first post is pretty clear about where on the device to press.
Did you watch it?

The JB install is triggered by a **PHYSICAL** device screen position.

Does the "Kindle" printed on the large margin of the device change its **PHYSICAL** position (relative to the device) when you rotate the display orientation?
You are completely unreasonable. Unless I misinterpret your post as sarcasm. If in landscape mode, the location of the displayed "button" to press is NOT where you actually need to press. You still have to push the top left corner of the device (which in landscape mode is in the bottom left of the Kindle), but the arrow it points to is NOT in the corner.

See attached screenshot - black beeing what is displayed on the screen, and red is me painting over it where you need to press to start the jailbreak. Yes the relative position changed, but the arrow pointing to it is not near where you need to press.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-21-2013 at 07:55 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #228
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The video is quite clear.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #229
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The video is quite clear.
Sure, in portrait mode it is perfect. And the finger is exactly where the picture says it should be. I even watched the video (for first time watching it at all) all the way to the end, possibly demonstrating the difference in landscape mode. But no, it only ever shows the jailbreak in portrait mode.

It works in landscape mode, but not as advertised.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #230
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Sure, in portrait mode it is perfect. And the finger is exactly where the picture says it should be. I even watched the video (for first time watching it at all) all the way to the end, possibly demonstrating the difference in landscape mode. But no, it only ever shows the jailbreak in portrait mode.

It works in landscape mode, but not as advertised.
When a person invents their own way of doing something rather than follow the directions - -
Then they assume the responsibility of solving any problems that arise.

Neither the original author nor the original directions can be faulted for the local actions of the person who is **not** following the directions.

The video clearly shows the device orientation, the screen orientation, and where to press.

Local variations on that theme are a local problem, not ours.
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #231
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
When a person invents their own way of doing something rather than follow the directions - -
Then they assume the responsibility of solving any problems that arise.

Neither the original author nor the original directions can be faulted for the local actions of the person who is **not** following the directions.

The video clearly shows the device orientation, the screen orientation, and where to press.

Local variations on that theme are a local problem, not ours.
What is your problem? Neither the directions that are written, nor the video demonstrating the use of them say anywhere that it is pertinent that you MUST use portrait mode, or suggest to use it. The post that follows is not complaining, it is merely pointing out that in Landscape mode the marked postion does not work. It reads to me as if he found the solution by going to portrait mode, where it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsy View Post
Thanks for this. When holding your thumb down to invoke the jailbreak install you have to do it in portrait mode - I had it in landscape and I guess it was looking for a press on the wrong part of the touchscreen.
You could have left it at that: a friendly reminder that the jailbreak does not work in landscape, and that portrait works better. But instead you accuse deadsy of beeing an idiot that cannot follow very clear instructions. You like to argue with facts, try to argue your way out of your mistake you made in replying.

Quote:
[snip]The JB install is triggered by a **PHYSICAL** device screen position.

Yes, it is merely looking for a physical device screen postion. Agreed. "Kindle" does, of course, not change postition relative to the device when in landscape mode. Agreed. What does change when changing to landscape mode is, that the physical postion on the screen (relative to the "Kindle" writing on the device) of the top left corner (virtual) changes to the physical location of the bottom left corner of "portrait mode". The jail break is still looking for the virtual top left corner to be pressed. The same top left corner in both landscape and portrait mode, even though they are not in the same physical location relative to the "kindle" writing. The jailbreak, either by design or by accident, works logically the same in portrait and landscape mode. What the jailbreak did not account for is, that the displayed place to push is not in the position to lign up with the corner in landscape mode.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #232
knc1
Going Viral

There are no directions posted for landscape mode.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #233
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
There are no directions posted for landscape mode.
The default mode of the kindle is portrait mode. As knc1 suggested, landscape mode is a deviation from the default.

Changing the jailbreak instructions to include landscape mode would only serve to add extra complexity to the instructions.

That said, it may be a good idea to modify the jailbreak instruction screen (and thread first post) to say that this must be installed in portrait mode.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #234
pwuser
pwuser began at the beginning.

Device: PW
Hello,
my first question on this forum after reading most of this thread and some others in the developer's corner - I want to make sure I understood things correctly:

Can I use this jailbreak to turn my Kindle PW into an ebook-reader, that does not "phone home" to amazon?

I do have a Kindle PW, "european" model, no-ads, WiFi+3G.
I hate the thought, that Amazon can track what I read, when I read etc.

What I want to achieve in detail is:

- No logging of my data, my collection, my books, their titles, authors etc., things that I upload or delete from the Kindle PW via USB/Calibre
- no "phoning home" of that data
- I still want to have the possibility of buying amazon books online, using 3G and the integrated store on the PW (and yes, I know: these buys are logged, which is part of the deal of shopping online)
- I know about the thread, which warns you to use a "stop phoning home"-modification, that can brick a Kindle Touch (it does not mention the PW...)
- I am not experienced with Linux and the associated programs/language.

In other words: I want the hardware advantages of the PW combined with the software-advantages of an opensource-reader, that keeps my data private.

Is this jailbreak sufficient for this, or what other mod's do I need to achieve that on an Kindle Paperwhite?

Last edited by pwuser; 12-27-2012 at 08:50 AM.
pwuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #235
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwuser View Post
Hello,
my first question on this forum after reading most of this thread and some others in the developer's corner - I want to make sure I understood things correctly:

Can I use this jailbreak to turn my Kindle PW into an ebook-reader, that does not "phone home" to amazon?

I do have a Kindle PW, "european" model, no-ads, WiFi+3G.
I hate the thought, that Amazon can track what I read, when I read etc.

What I want to achieve in detail is:

- No logging of my data, my collection, my books, their titles, authors etc., things that I upload or delete from the Kindle PW via USB/Calibre
- I still want to have the possibility of buying amazon books online, using 3G and the integrated store on the PW (and yes, I know: these buys are logged, which is part of the deal of shopping online)
- I know about the thread, which warns you to use a "stop phoning home"-modification, that can brick a Kindle Touch (it does not mention the PW...)

In other words: I want the hardware advantages of the PW combined with the software-advantages of an opensource-reader, that keeps my data private.

Is this jailbreak sufficient for this, or what other mod's do I need to achieve that on an Kindle Paperwhite?
This jailbreak is not sufficient (by itself) for this type of blocking.

Installing this jailbreak is a **prerequisite** to making other changes and/or installing other mod's.

So -
Step 1: Install this jailbreak.
Even if you will never (knowingly) use it.

Step 2: Decide under what conditions you want the blockage effective.

Choice one: Use of Wifi (only) at a location where you can control the setup of the Wifi access point.
In this case, with many Wifi access points, you can block the destination IP ranges used to "phone home".

Note: Any AP running Linux - you can do this.
Worked example: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...82&postcount=5

Note: Some AP running other OS - maybe you can do this.
Note: Will not have any effect over 3G - only over Wifi
Note: Requires zip, zero, nada changes to the Kindle (not even this jailbreak).
Note: Will work for **anything** connecting to your AP.

Choice two: Use of Wifi (and/or 3G) at any location.
In this case, the blockage is done **on the Kindle** and goes wherever the Kindle goes.

Note: This requires the Jailbreak to be installed.
Note: Requires modification of the Kindle's iptables.
Note: The address ranges to block are posted here (in my Chatty Katie thread among other places).
Note: Those posted address ranges where determined a year ago with the version 3 firmware.
Note: Those posted address ranges are in the process of being re-confirmed (or modified) for the Kpw verison 5.3.1 firmware.

(Like, as I type this, so info will be posted RSN)

Last edited by knc1; 12-27-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #236
knc1
Going Viral

RSN has come and gone

See the following thread for old and new destination ranges to block:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200475
Old 12-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #237
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The default mode of the kindle is portrait mode. As knc1 suggested, landscape mode is a deviation from the default.

Changing the jailbreak instructions to include landscape mode would only serve to add extra complexity to the instructions.

That said, it may be a good idea to modify the jailbreak instruction screen (and thread first post) to say that this must be installed in portrait mode.
I've added a note to the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwuser View Post

As knc1 wrote, the jailbreak itself is not sufficient, but you'll need "something else" to modify the phone-home behavior. That was the bad news.

The good news: because I am myself extremely irritated about the amount of personal information that the Paperwhite gathers and transmits to Amazon, I'll probably be looking into this soon ("soon" as in "in the next weeks, not necessarily tomorrow").

I'm thinking of a JBPatch patch* which entirely disables the upload of the logs.

Technical information ahead: as far as I understand (but I did not look into this very closely yet, so take this with a grain of salt), the communication protocol has an (Amazon-triggered) command which invokes "/usr/bin/showlog", and uploads the result. And this command seems to be run every single time you turn on network connectivity - HUGE privacy invasion, especially given the amount of information contained in the syslog.

A simple example of a short-term workaround is to rename /usr/bin/showlog to /usr/bin/showlog.real, and to ln -sf /bin/true /usr/bin/showlog. But I'm not entirely sure whether the "send-me-all-your-personal-data" command uses showlog alone, or whether it also knows about the archived ("rotated") log files, so this needs some further investigation.

So to summarize: If you're confident about what you are doing, try the above method, or use iptables rules to deny access to Amazon servers. If you're not, well, you'll have to sit and wait - but rest assured that you're not the only one who doesn't like to be supervised by Amazon.

(*) Does anybody have a better formulation for "JBPatch patch"?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #238
knc1
Going Viral

There are two potential answers to this issue:
  1. Block communications with Amazon.
  2. Disable the cause of the communications.

(2) requires learning a lot about the internals of the firmware.
I.E: Will be time consuming (probably by a lot of people).

(1a) Blocking can be implemented on a person's home network
(1b) Or within the Kindles' own firewall.

I posted about (1a) today, will follow with an update of (1b) RSN.
Both based on the Kpw, v-5.3.1 firmware.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #239
johnwayne999
johnwayne999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Jailbreak does not remove ads. It just installs a certificate that lets you install custom update packages, such as usbnetwork and font hacks and such.

The recommended way to remove ads is to pay amazon to remove them.
Thanks. That's good to know. I don't mind the ads that much afterall.

However I think I made a mistake buying the 3G version. I thought I could insert my own chosen SIM card and navigate as I please. Now it turns out to be Amazon-only 3G plus additional 20g heavier weight to the device and extra cost. In retrospect I'd have bought the non 3G version.
johnwayne999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #240
pwuser
pwuser began at the beginning.

Device: PW
Thank you ALL for your detailed answers, which gave me a far better insight into the whole matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
So to summarize: If you're confident about what you are doing, try the above method, or use iptables rules to deny access to Amazon servers. If you're not, well, you'll have to sit and wait - but rest assured that you're not the only one who doesn't like to be supervised by Amazon.

(*) Does anybody have a better formulation for "JBPatch patch"?
@ixtab: thank you for looking into the matter for us "non-pogrammers", who are in need for a "one click does it all"-solution - I am, to quote you "not confident"...!
As for the naming: how about JB²Patch or JBPatch² or PW-JB²
pwuser is offline   Reply With Quote